This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free Makeup

precious831

precious831 Contributor

Does anyone know of any? Right now I'm using Bare Minerals, they're pricey though. What's everyone using? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

I use Zuzu, a gluten-free line that I get at my local health food store. I stopped using Bare Minerals after Dr. Oz warned about the hidden dangers of breathing in the nano-particals. Not sure if it's really something to worry about, but he doesn't usually go too far off the deep end, so I stopped using it just in case. I like the ZuZu line - it's all natural but performs well. I don't think you'll find much cost savings with it, however.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Good makeup pays for itself in the long run. I love Bare Minerals. I also use Benefit Hello Flawless. it's incredible stuff. I'm a total makeup and product snob. I just think in the long run you waste money on cheap products and they ruin your hair and your skin

Jestgar Rising Star

In case you have some free time......

shopgirl Contributor

I won't use Bare Minerals because of the bismuth oxychloride they put in it but I love Silk Naturals. The woman who owns the company, Karen, is meticulous about gluten. The few products that actually have gluten

precious831 Contributor

Good makeup pays for itself in the long run. I love Bare Minerals. I also use Benefit Hello Flawless. it's incredible stuff. I'm a total makeup and product snob. I just think in the long run you waste money on cheap products and they ruin your hair and your skin

I wasn't saying I want cheap makeup, I was just looking for options. Before I used Bare Minerals, I was using Clinique everything, that's expensive too. I have very sensitive skin and don't wear a lot of makeup but it would be nice to have a little every now and then for like church and going out with friends.

precious831 Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just saw that ad here for Joelle, I'll check that out too, seems like a good one. I don't want to keep using Bare Minerals because it has corn(the mineral veil at least has it) and I avoid all grains. It just sucks because I have so much left of this stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I use Zuzu, a gluten-free line that I get at my local health food store. I stopped using Bare Minerals after Dr. Oz warned about the hidden dangers of breathing in the nano-particals. Not sure if it's really something to worry about, but he doesn't usually go too far off the deep end, so I stopped using it just in case. I like the ZuZu line - it's all natural but performs well. I don't think you'll find much cost savings with it, however.

I have and use some of the ZuZu products. I was told they are gluten-free, however, after I'd been using the lipgloss for 4 months I found out that it contains wheatgerm oil. I got the list for every ZuZu item at a large health food store.

precious831 Contributor

I have and use some of the ZuZu products. I was told they are gluten-free, however, after I'd been using the lipgloss for 4 months I found out that it contains wheatgerm oil. I got the list for every ZuZu item at a large health food store.

Thanks for the update on Zu zu!

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't use Bare Minerals either due the bismuth--makes my face itch. I really like the Everyday Minerals, and use their foundation. I tried a few mineral foundations after I stopped the Bare Minerals, and really liked how Everyday offers lots of colors and finishes--and has sample sizes so you can get the perfect match with your skin.

For blush I use Nars, eye shadows--Smashbox, lipstick--either Burt's Bee's Shimmers or Afterglow Cosmetics. I also love Loreal's Telescopic Explosion Mascara--the round brush is great.

kayo Explorer

I use a combo of Mary Kay, Avon, Cover Girl, MAC, and softlips. That pretty much runs the gamut on pricing!

Looking for answers Contributor

Good to know. I don't use their lipgloss, I use another natural brand that is gluten free..and I double-checked that specifically since I would likely ingest it.

julandjo Explorer

Everyday Minerals!

jenngolightly Contributor

Everyday Minerals!

I used to use Everyday Minerals but developed a reaction. I have very fair, sensitive skin. I switched to Meow Cosmetics (also online). Their website is awful. Use the Cat Chat Forum to have the experts determine which color is best for you.

I use a combo of Mary Kay, Avon, Cover Girl, MAC, and softlips. That pretty much runs the gamut on pricing!

Do you happen to use any of the softlip shimmers? If so, which shades? I've been thinking of trying them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just saw that ad here for Joelle, I'll check that out too, seems like a good one. I don't want to keep using Bare Minerals because it has corn(the mineral veil at least has it) and I avoid all grains. It just sucks because I have so much left of this stuff.

Crap! I use this and I am corn free.....I love make up and I've been searching to get my look back to before gluten-free. Thanks for the info, I didn't even think about corn in my make up...I shoulda though.

precious831 Contributor

Crap! I use this and I am corn free.....I love make up and I've been searching to get my look back to before gluten-free. Thanks for the info, I didn't even think about corn in my make up...I shoulda though.

Glad to help. Be careful of corn...corn is everywhere, even in bandaids and stuff you won't expect!!!!

Oh another thing, how about moisturizers? Does anyone have suggestions? I've been using Oil of Olay sensitive skin for years and I got concerned about the source of vitamin E. I called them and they won't give me info no matter how much I asked. SO I'm not sure if the vit. E is sourced from soy, I'm concerned because I read somewhere that sometimes it could be from wheat. Thoughts anyone?

TooManyHats Rookie

I've been using Physician's Formula,but just looked it up and this is what it said:

Q. Does Physicians Formula products contain Gluten?

A. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that none of the ingredients, or derivatives in our products do not contain gluten.

ARG!! Back to the drawing board. I have to stay away from all fragrances as well. I'm now at a complete loss.

Almendra Apprentice

After running the gamut of calling companies and receiving ambiguous replies as to their comments (and the untrustworthy insistence to avoid responding to inquiries in writing), I do all I can not to buy make up that will actually say up-front that it is gluten-free.

That said, I use Afterglow cosmetics for most things, and a few items from Tarte's line of products actually have gluten-free written on the website or the packaging (though I have had to watch them for a change of formula). As I was getting stressed and overwhelmed with the research, Afterglow ended up being a good place to start, as all of their product line is safe. Then, as you find things you can buy work them in.

For moisturizers, I have been using 100% Pure SPF pomegranate face moisturizer (Bath and Body Works even sells SOME of their products as expressly gluten-free options - just look up gluten-free on their website). The 100% Pure website, however, has other gluten-free moisturizers on their site too. You have to check product information. Someone also recently recommended skincareforathletes.com as a moisturizer option. I haven't tried it yet.

I had a very negative experience with Oil of Olay when asking about their products being gluten-free. The representative e-mailed me that their doctors confirmed that as their products are used externally their should be no problem - and directed me to some Celiac websites to educate myself (including this one where I had gotten the idea to contact companies about their cosmetics). I called to complain, and never received the reply from management they promised.

precious831 Contributor

I've been using Physician's Formula,but just looked it up and this is what it said:

Q. Does Physicians Formula products contain Gluten?

A. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that none of the ingredients, or derivatives in our products do not contain gluten.

ARG!! Back to the drawing board. I have to stay away from all fragrances as well. I'm now at a complete loss.

I know the feeling. It's a lot of work.

precious831 Contributor

After running the gamut of calling companies and receiving ambiguous replies as to their comments (and the untrustworthy insistence to only respond to inquiries in writing), I do all I can not to buy make up that will actually say up-front that it is gluten-free.

That said, I use Afterglow cosmetics for most things, and a few items from Tarte's line of products actually have gluten-free written on the website or the packaging (though I have had to watch them for a change of formula). As I was getting stressed and overwhelmed with the research, Afterglow ended up being a good place to start, as all of their product line is safe. Then, as you find things you can buy work them in.

For moisturizers, I have been using 100% Pure SPF pomegranate face moisturizer (Bath and Body Works even sells SOME of their products as expressly gluten-free options - just look up gluten-free on their website). The 100% Pure website, however, has other gluten-free moisturizers on their site too. You have to check product information. Someone also recently recommended skincareforathletes.com as a moisturizer option. I haven't tried it yet.

I had a very negative experience with Oil of Olay when asking about their products being gluten-free. The representative e-mailed me that their doctors confirmed that as their products are used externally their should be no problem - and directed me to some Celiac websites to educate myself (including this one where I had gotten the idea to contact companies about their cosmetics). I called to complain, and never received the reply from management they promised.

Thanks for the info, I actually have one of those Pomegranate things, the eye cream. I didn't know they had a lotion, I'll have to check it out. I want to be done with Oil of Olay, not happy with the lack of info or secrecy regarding their ingredients.

I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned too, thanks again!

Jenbeans77 Newbie

as for make-up.....i have been using Joelle Cosmetics for the last couple of months...the whole line is gluten free so there is no risk of cross contamination....and i like supporting a small business. i haven't tried everything but i do really like their liquid foundation and their powder foundation. i also use their Emu oil and shea butter moisterizer.... seems to work great and is very hydrating. i recently just bought their make-up remover and i really like that as well. i would definitely suggest checking them out. their costs are very reasonable...and there are big discounts for 1st time orders and 2nd time orders. and they offer some samples at a lower price so you can try out their foundations...

as for face washes....Joelle had a complexion bar that i have used and had good results. i have also used Dessert Essence Organics tea tree face wash... the entire Dessert Essence Organics line is vegan and gluten free. I love their coconut line of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion! :)

kayo Explorer
Do you happen to use any of the softlip shimmers? If so, which shades? I've been thinking of trying them

I tried one and it was too light. I had 1986 flashbacks!! I tossed it so I'm not sure what shade it was, sorry. My fave is the peppermint vanilla (no shimmer).

Mositurizer I use Avon (body) and Mary Kay (face). Avon lists all their ingredients and Mary Kay does not use any gluten. I like that. Takes all the guess work out.

Dessert Essence Organics line is vegan and gluten free. I love their coconut line of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion! :)

I use their raspberry shampoo and conditioner. Love them! In addition to no gluten there's no SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) which seems to flare the heck out my scalp psoriasis. Finding a shampoo without gluten AND SLS can be tough so I was glad to find this product. I'll have to try their body washes and lotion too.

Almendra Apprentice

I tried one and it was too light. I had 1986 flashbacks!! I tossed it so I'm not sure what shade it was, sorry. My fave is the peppermint vanilla (no shimmer).

Mositurizer I use Avon (body) and Mary Kay (face). Avon lists all their ingredients and Mary Kay does not use any gluten. I like that. Takes all the guess work out.

I use their raspberry shampoo and conditioner. Love them! In addition to no gluten there's no SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) which seems to flare the heck out my scalp psoriasis. Finding a shampoo without gluten AND SLS can be tough so I was glad to find this product. I'll have to try their body washes and lotion too.

Odd. I did not get the same information about Mary Kay when I researched them. My mother-in-law has sold it for years, and after looking into it from her end, she suggested getting other makeup. They don't even mention gluten on their website, which is always a red flag for me. I've had too many representatives of cosmetic companies telling me things are gluten free - without wanting to put it into writing - even going so far as to tell me that they don't have e-mail at the company.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

A very nice site for people in the UK

Open Original Shared Link

Go to 'Shop' on the left-hand side.

A most of it is gluten-free, you can eaily compare prices, ingredients clearly listed.

Archived