This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Are The Grain-Free Folks Doing?

precious831

jenngolightly Contributor

You'll probably feel a whole lot better if you give up the rice completely, trust me it makes a huge difference, well at least for those of us who were pretty much hopeless I guess. Just give it a try, you may never go back to rice ever.

I'm not a legume fan so I don't eat it much, if I do, they are soaked for 12 hrs and then rinsed very well.

I have eaten rice a few times in the last couple of weeks - first time since last May. I've been feeling sluggish, tired, and gassy. On the other hand, the rice has filled my tummy and I'm not starving. Not sure what's better/worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Lets see on hand I normally have (and use):

-Lard (pork)

-Tallow (beef)

-Duck Fat

-Regular Coconut Oil

-Virgin Coconut Oil

-Refined Palm Oil

-Virgin Red Palm Oil

-Butter

-Ghee

-Olive oil

The red palm oil I just got for the first time last week, I'm not quite sure what to make of the flavor or consistency yet but for some odd reason I can't stop eating it. I've almost gone through a quart of it since wednesday!

I challenged dairy a while ago and am fairly certain that I experience issues with it so I drink heavy cream like most people drink milk.

As far as recipes go I just finished dehydrating a batch of beef jerky.

-1 large flank steak (grass fed)

-1 lime

-2 Tbsp fish sauce

-2 tsp crushed and minced lemongrass

-salt and pepper to taste, cayenne pepper to desired heat

I took the flank steak and sliced it across the grain on a bias so I ended up with wide thin slices. I zested off about 1/3 of the lime and then squeezed out all of it's juices, mixed in the fish sauce and the remaining ingredients. I let the cut flank pieces marinate in the mixture, turning every so often for about 2 hours then lightly drained and put it in a dehydrator for the whole day.

precious831 Contributor

It's sweet of you to ask. I'm doing well. Some meals are good and some are fuel for the car ;) But my health benefits from this diet so much that I stick with it.

I don't have any intentions or desire to go out and replace all the carby stuff with alternative baked goods but these low-carb baked things help keep variety in my diet and that hopefully helps me ward off becoming allergic to other things as I am one to become allergic to frequently eaten foods.

I have a bunch of recipes bookmarked that I haven't tried-all low carb, using almond meal or flax.

Here's a new recipe that I tried just today. Open Original Shared Link I made half the recipe using 2 eggs and put it in an 8X8 casserole dish. I was very low on canola oil so I used half oil and half melted soy-free Earthbalance. I liked it. I just ate a slice as an addition to my meat and veg. meal-turkey burger patty, steamed califlower, broccoli and brussel sprouts and red cabbage sauteed with red onion.

I'm not sure how to describe the texture of the muffins. I'm not a fan of eggs and some low-carb stuff can get too eggy tasting for me. Sometimes I'll omit one agg and add flax replacer. I can't stand bits of egg, so I beat my eggs well and then pour them through a mesh strainer, any stringy bits and usually that white membrane get left behind. I'm always a little hesitant with these recipes and the ingredients are expensive so I often try a half batch the first time.

Westcoast,

I am grain-free to manage diabetes, so I don't know some of the technicalities behind paleo or some other similar low-carb or grain-free diets. I do know that flax has ALOT of fiber and has very minimal impact on blood sugar. I manage without any medications or insulin so I have to be very careful. I believe that flax is a seed and doesn't count as a grain.

I'm gonna get some flax seed and try the recipes you gave me. I hope the taste is not overwhelming(flax) because I hate the taste of flax oil.

Thanks and goodluck, keep me posted!

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm gonna get some flax seed and try the recipes you gave me. I hope the taste is not overwhelming(flax) because I hate the taste of flax oil.

Thanks and goodluck, keep me posted!

You know, the first time I used flax it was the regular and it was strong tasting and bitter. The next time I bought the golden flax and no such flavor. I really think that the first bag was rancid even though it should have been fresh. I store mine in the freezer after opening. Maybe I'll have to buy a bag of the regular next time and compare again.

precious831 Contributor

You know, the first time I used flax it was the regular and it was strong tasting and bitter. The next time I bought the golden flax and no such flavor. I really think that the first bag was rancid even though it should have been fresh. I store mine in the freezer after opening. Maybe I'll have to buy a bag of the regular next time and compare again.

Oh cool, yeah I don't know how to tell if it's rancid. The oil smelled funky gross. I'll try the golden flax seeds next time. I have a whole bag of regular flax here and it's expired a few months ago(Oct) I had no idea. Do you think it's still ok to use? The bag's not been opened.

missy'smom Collaborator

Oh cool, yeah I don't know how to tell if it's rancid. The oil smelled funky gross. I'll try the golden flax seeds next time. I have a whole bag of regular flax here and it's expired a few months ago(Oct) I had no idea. Do you think it's still ok to use? The bag's not been opened.

I would open the bag and see how it smells and tastes. Generally rancid things taste bitter, smell musty etc. If it's really unappetizing, then maybe it's not fresh.

The fresh golden flax meal I have now is not what I would call yummy tasting on it's own, maybe a bit like ground walnuts in flavor?

It's best to keep all these things in the freezer to keep them fresh-almond meal, bulk nuts etc. The oils in them are very perishable. If you do decide that the bag you have now is still OK, then double bag it in ziplocks, squeezing out as much air as you can and get it into the freezer.

precious831 Contributor

I would open the bag and see how it smells and tastes. Generally rancid things taste bitter, smell musty etc. If it's really unappetizing, then maybe it's not fresh.

The fresh golden flax meal I have now is not what I would call yummy tasting on it's own, maybe a bit like ground walnuts in flavor?

It's best to keep all these things in the freezer to keep them fresh-almond meal, bulk nuts etc. The oils in them are very perishable. If you do decide that the bag you have now is still OK, then double bag it in ziplocks, squeezing out as much air as you can and get it into the freezer.

I do that, all my nut flours are in the freezer. But because I haven't opened this flax, it slipped my mind and it sat in the pantry for a few months. I guess I'll open it and see how it smells. lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I tried this last night for dinner Open Original Shared Link It had more flavor than I expected! Tasted good. My son didn't say anything about missing the mashed potatoes on top! We didn't have any lowcarb flours on hand so I used buckwheat,it's such a small amount that I was OK with it. I figure buckwheat is better than rice ;)

precious831 Contributor

I tried this last night for dinner Open Original Shared Link It had more flavor than I expected! Tasted good. My son didn't say anything about missing the mashed potatoes on top! We didn't have any lowcarb flours on hand so I used buckwheat,it's such a small amount that I was OK with it. I figure buckwheat is better than rice ;)

I saw that and wanted to make it too. There's so much I want to make. I'm threading on bison for my DD, I thought she may be reacting to it a while back. I fed her some grass-fed organic bison. I'll try it again soon.

I think I'll make that recipe with the mashed potatoes on top. I miss mashed potatoes, it's been a while since I had some.

Oh yes buckwheat is definitely better than rice, though I still am not a fan of the taste lol. I do make buckwheat banana muffins and those are so good! The bananas work real good in masking the taste. I have used both light and regular buckwheat flour.

precious831 Contributor

Bumping

revenant Enthusiast

Heyoo

I'm going grain free and will tell you how I feel :)

Grains seem to not be doing so well with me anymore

precious831 Contributor

Heyoo

I'm going grain free and will tell you how I feel :)

Grains seem to not be doing so well with me anymore

Good luck and hope you feel better!

kayo Explorer
Would you mind sharing your coconut wrapper recipes and the raw nut pizza crust? I miss samosas and pizza!

I second this request. I'm missing spring rolls something fierce. I've tried some rice wrappers but they get very sticky when fried. I'm going to try some technique used to make har gow using tapioca and rice starch. I'm not SCD, though I am FODMAP. I'm always intrigued by new foods and techniques.

Archived