This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dunkin Donuts

Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Ok so i was at the mall with my mil and am still relatively new to the diet almost 4 months in,ok well i drank coffee 2 times since i started the diet both with reactions so i have layed off aside from those times the last 4 months.I decided its time to try again i am dying without my coffee:(So i went to d&d told them about my allergy i watched the guy pour a full fresh made pot of decaf coffee into a small cup then i added my own sugar and cream i drank and was fine until 3 hours later i got home felt RAGEE i felt soo mad depressed and violent then last night my belly hurt a little biut in my sleep now i woke up today and feel like im def not well rested like what the hell happenned geeze will i ever be able to drink coffee again???I kno it dosent have gluten why oh whyy Thanx for letting me vent:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AzizaRivers Apprentice

I don't know about your general coffee reactions, BUT...I've heard of many celiacs, especially on here, reacting to Dunkin Donuts coffee. Not sure why, I don't drink coffee myself, but perhaps they have widespread contamination or they contain some unsafe ingredient. So you might just need to find a particular source for your coffee that does not give you problems.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

yes i mean i called them and they reassured me all there coffees even flavored which i didnt try were gluten free ughh it stinks i know they said no starbucksss tho

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you tried drinking coffee you make at home? While their coffee may be gluten free the chance of CC is IMHO high.

K8ling Enthusiast

I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee at home and it's fine. I haven't tried buying a cup though.

kareng Grand Master

I think in a store that is making and baking glutony donuts, some flour might be in the air and landing on cups, pots, sugar packs, employees and customers.

I go to Starbucks. I don't get the flavors added but most of the flavors are fine.

Coffee & decaf coffee has acid in it that is hard on your stomach. I found that adding some milk helps neutralize that.

shopgirl Contributor

I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee at home and it's fine. I haven't tried buying a cup though.

Same here. I drink homebrewed French Vanilla.

But ever since I went gluten-free, if I drink more than one cup per day, my stomach goes nuts. Coffee can be harsh. If I stick to one cup, I'm fine. If I try a second, my stomach will start to cramp up. Of course, I brew my coffee weak

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

I go to Starbucks once a week and I've never had any issues.

I was drinking coffee daily and kept having reactions...stomach issues, rashes, metallic taste in my mouth, weird numbness in my gums...I was sure it was gluten and changed brands over and over and it kept happening. Went to allergy doc and I'm actually mildly allergic to coffee itself! If I drink it once or twice a week I'm fine but if I start drinking it daily the reactions get worse and worse.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

yes i have tried 2 times at home and had worse reactionss but it was much earlier on in the diet:( I think i might need a new coffee pot it might be contaminated it hink not sure.This is the first time i was brave enough to try it out i guess it was a stupid move i think i will try starbucks next time they seem cleaner:)

Monklady123 Collaborator

Personally I would worry about anything made at a place that has "donuts" in it's name! :ph34r: I do get coffee at Starbucks with no problem, but that's all they do there. (I know they sell baked goods, but the baking isn't done there. At least not at mine.) It's the same reason I'm leery of getting gluten-free pizza at one of my local places. Yes, that crust may be gluten-free. But look at all the gluten that HAS to be flying around that kitchen! :ph34r:<_<:ph34r:

uglybassistx Newbie

I've had problems with Dunkin Donuts coffee in the past. I find that iced coffee does not irritate my stomach nearly as much as hot coffee would. I would think this is due to the coffee being more watered down in iced coffee than in regular hot coffee, but I could be wrong. Lately I've been staying away from coffee altogether and using tea as my caffeine fix.

shopgirl Contributor

Personally I would worry about anything made at a place that has "donuts" in it's name! :ph34r: I do get coffee at Starbucks with no problem, but that's all they do there. (I know they sell baked goods, but the baking isn't done there. At least not at mine.) It's the same reason I'm leery of getting gluten-free pizza at one of my local places. Yes, that crust may be gluten-free. But look at all the gluten that HAS to be flying around that kitchen! :ph34r:<_<:ph34r:

Most Dunkin Donuts don't bake their own doughnuts. I'm not sure any of them actually do. They get deliveries every day.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Most Dunkin Donuts don't bake their own doughnuts. I'm not sure any of them actually do. They get deliveries every day.

Yeah, true. I guess it's just the picture I have in my mind of my local Dunkin Donuts -- all the donuts sitting in the cases right near the coffee pot, with the employees always reaching in to take out some donuts, waving them around near the coffee... :ph34r: Makes me get a headache and cramps just thinking about it. lol..

But at my Starbucks the case with the baked goods is way over on the other side of the register, far away from the coffee-making area, and it's usually two different people -- the cashier gets the baked thing while the coffee gal is preparing the drink.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

In my area the donut shops bake their own donuts therefore I wouldn't dream of consuming anything from those shops.

I was wondering if anyone knows the names of a few of the safe Starbucks coffee flavors. I asked at my Starbucks and the response I received was, "what's gluten?" (though the info might be helpful to you too Mama Melissa)

MelindaLee Contributor

In my area the donut shops bake their own donuts therefore I wouldn't dream of consuming anything from those shops.

I was wondering if anyone knows the names of a few of the safe Starbucks coffee flavors. I asked at my Starbucks and the response I received was, "what's gluten?" (though the info might be helpful to you too Mama Melissa)

I drink vanilla lattes all the time and I haven't had a reaction. I have also had white mochas with no proble.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I drink vanilla lattes all the time and I haven't had a reaction. I have also had white mochas with no proble.

White Mocha is my all time favorite! Thank you. :)

TooManyHats Rookie

It's so ironic that this is being discussed today. While out with my son yesterday he wanted to stop at DD. All I could picture was some employee that had handled donuts all day touching my cup and lid. I felt paranoid, but didn't care. We ended up stopping at Wawa (local convenience store) where I could make my own coffee. Success!

• 5 years later...
cbkinc Newbie

NEVER AGAIN will I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee. This has happened both times I drank it and now I KNOW it is the coffee. I bought it and made my own at home and now I have those dreaded "I got glutened" cramps. NEVER again and I am throwing the rest out

cyclinglady Grand Master
45 minutes ago, cbkinc said:

NEVER AGAIN will I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee. This has happened both times I drank it and now I KNOW it is the coffee. I bought it and made my own at home and now I have those dreaded "I got glutened" cramps. NEVER again and I am throwing the rest out

Can you clarify?  Was it plain coffee or a flavored one?  

How long have you been gluten free?   You might be reacting to coffee if your gut is still damaged.  It's pretty acidic.    Did you drink it on an empty stomach?  Tea will do that to me.  My grandma who was British, always insisted we drink tea with milk and to have a biscuit too!  

Coffee is pretty safe when you purchase it and brew it at home and as long as it is not flavored.  

Please let us know.  

kareng Grand Master

Coffee from a bag and brewed at home never goes anywhere near the donuts.  Its just made at a coffee "factory".

Just to clarify - the original discussion from 2011 was about buying coffee made/brewed in an actual Dunkin Donuts shop.  So, getting donut crumbs/gluten in the coffee seems ... at least a possibility.  I am not sure of DD's coffee procedures, etc , but there are at least donuts being made and sold near the coffee.

Archived