29 replies to this topic

#16 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

I lost a fair amount of weight before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. It took me awhile to return to my normal size (definitely more than a month) as I think I had a lot of damage. I am still smaller than I was originally, and it is a constant challenge for me to make sure I am eating enough. I try to add extra calories to my meals. If you are eating healthy and monitoring your weight, but don't seem to be gaining weight after a reasonable period, maybe a dr's/nutrionist visit is due? I wouldn't want something else to be going on. Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Brian Allee

Brian Allee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

Steve-O,

I can empathize with you. I have been battling weight gain my whole life!
It's a constant effort. I'm 6'1" and 170lbs. I had neck surgery in October and wasn't able to hit the weights or eat properly for 2 months. Prior to surgery I was
183lbs! I am now trying to gain it back. Just last month I was 165lbs.

The only way you are going to gain quality weight, is by consuming more
lean protein and healthy fats. I foud a great web site to help track your consumption www.fitday.com.

The math is pretty simple, if you burn more calories than you are getting, you
will loose or only maintain your current weight. There is a difference between gaining empty calories and gaining quality lean muscle. The goal is to consume 1gm of protein per pound of your body weight, or desired weight. It's difficult
to eat that much protein with food alone. I also am very sensitive
to protein supplements. However, I have found an excellent protein powder
made by Nature's Best. It's called Perfect Zero Carb Isopure. It's more expensive than most of the supplements on the market, but it gives you 50grams of high quality protein. It's very clean and simple and gives me no problems. They also
add a substantial amount of glutamine, which is great for intestinal repair.
You can order it at a discount from vitaminshopp.com. Also consider creatine supplements. This really helps with strength and muscle gain

Are you lifting weights? I apologize if you have already posted that. I saw the first
message and had to start writing! Strength training is a key ingredient to gaining
weight. If your interested, I would be happy to help you design a strength training program and share some of my eating habbits with you.

I have been in the fitness industry for 7 years, and have aquired alot of knowlege on health and fitness in general. I am excited to share my knowlege with you!

To your health!
Diagnosed January 2004

#18 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

Steve-O,

I can empathize with you. I have been battling weight gain my whole life!
It's a constant effort. I'm 6'1" and  170lbs. I had neck surgery in October and wasn't able to hit the weights or eat properly for 2 months. Prior to surgery I was
183lbs! I am now trying to gain it back. Just last month I was 165lbs.

The only way you are going to gain quality weight, is by consuming more
lean protein and healthy fats. I foud a great web site to help track your consumption www.fitday.com.

The math is pretty simple, if you burn more calories than you are getting, you
will loose or only maintain your current weight. There is a difference between gaining empty calories and gaining quality lean muscle. The goal is to consume 1gm of protein per pound of your body weight, or desired weight. It's difficult
to eat that much protein with food alone. I also am very sensitive
to protein supplements. However, I have found an excellent protein powder
made by Nature's Best. It's called Perfect Zero Carb Isopure. It's more expensive than most of the supplements on the market, but it gives you 50grams of high quality protein. It's very clean and simple and gives me no problems. They also
add a substantial amount of glutamine, which is great for intestinal repair.
You can order it at a discount from vitaminshopp.com. Also consider creatine supplements. This really helps with strength and muscle gain

Are you lifting weights? I apologize if you have already posted that. I saw the first
message and had to start writing!  Strength training is a key ingredient to gaining
weight. If your interested,  I would be happy to help you design a strength training program and share some of my eating habbits with you.

I have been in the fitness industry for 7 years, and have aquired alot of knowlege on health and fitness in general. I am excited to share my knowlege with you!

To your health!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Brian,
I just posted over in the relatives with Celiac forum. I read this post of yours to my husband and if your offer is open to help others on the board with weight/weight training issues.. would it be ok for "us" to send you a private message on here?

Thanks,
AlwaysHope

#19 Brian Allee

Brian Allee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

Hi Brian,
I just posted over in the relatives with Celiac forum.  I read this post of yours to my husband and if your offer is open to help others on the board with weight/weight training issues.. would it be ok for "us"  to send you a private message on here?

Thanks,
AlwaysHope

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be happy to help! Feel free to email me. Rooallee@yahoo.com
Diagnosed January 2004

#20 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Does anyone know of any non-dairy (not just lactose-free) gluten-free protein powders or shakes? The Gluten-free Casein-free sports drink I use (which contains more vitamins than Gatorade) is Ultima Replenisher.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

#21 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

Does anyone know of any non-dairy (not just lactose-free) gluten-free protein powders or shakes?  The Gluten-free Casein-free sports drink I use (which contains more vitamins than Gatorade) is Ultima Replenisher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MLO makes a rice protein powder that has a decent taste. Peaceful Planet makes a vegetable based one that has a bit stronger of a taste, and is quite green in color. ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#22 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:47 AM

I think Jay Robb's might be what you're looking for. Google him. His shakes were voted best tasting. He has Celiac disease, too. Might have whey. I can't remember.
I believe in God.

#23 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

Thanks a lot. I will check those out.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

#24 lsolatka

lsolatka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

Does anyone know of any non-dairy (not just lactose-free) gluten-free protein powders or shakes?  The Gluten-free Casein-free sports drink I use (which contains more vitamins than Gatorade) is Ultima Replenisher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lame Advertisement International offers a gluten-free, lactose-free & vegetarian protein drink w/ 18gs. PRO/serving in vanilla & chocolate flavors. Only available thru consultants. Can research product on www.Lame Advertisement.com or I would be happy to answer questions and offer 35%discount on products. Hope this helps. Lisa

#25 Guest_sushi_*

Guest_sushi_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:26 AM

I am very interested in the responses you get because I also am having trouble gaining weight. I was diagnosed in Jan 2004, went down to 98# and am now only at about 101#. I am 5' 2". I have recently discovered gluten-free cereals by Nature's Path and Enviro Kids Cereal Bars. I also have trouble with protein powders, drinks, bars, etc. I have recently started eating soy yogurt with meals to aid with digestion. I have no bacteria in my intestines. I am allergic to eggs, milk, yeast, some beans, and acidophilus. I use mission white corn tortillas, edward & sons rice crackers and ener-g's GFYF white rice bread. I am also salt sensitive. I would be most interested in the replies you receive.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Susette B)

#26 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

This will make you fat....it made my husband fat--

Breakfastmany eggs any style
lots of bacon
gluten-free toast (butter may be ok even if lactose intolerant, was for my son)
Juice (coffee too, but juice will boost calories)

LunchTuna salad/chicken salad, cold cuts/peanut butter whatever, on a gluten-free Kinnikinnick bagel *have you seen how many calories are in one of those!?  Have two sandwiches on those bagels.  They're small, but calorie full
Lundberg rice drink smoothie.  Add banana, Ice chocolate syrup

DinnerMeat
Potato
rice
toast

Snacksnuts
chips
salami
rice drink smoothies

I don't like soy.  It can hurt your thyroid among other things, so I use rice milk.
http://tuberose.com/Soy.html

This is high calorie eating.  You will gain weight if you eat more.  Have your thyroid checked in the meantime.  And your gall bladder.  Nauseous after greasy food may be a gall bladder issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hold up...I thought Tuna had Gluten in it? You mentioned Tuna salad????

#27 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

Read lables to be sure, but most tuna in a can is gluten free. I actually don't know of any canned tuna that has gluten.
I believe in God.

#28 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hold up...I thought Tuna had Gluten in it? You mentioned Tuna salad????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alot of tuna is gluten free. You just have to read the label to make sure.
If it says like tuna and salt then it would be fine. It's the flavored kind and where there are alot of additives is what you have to worry about.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#29 griffen169

griffen169

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

i know how it feels to loose the weight im now 21 i have been celiac disease for 8 years now i hate it im still not use to being like this lol but its gotten better i use to work out alot and i was toned im 6'5 i weighed about 210 and lost alot i went dwon to 127 really quikly but now im up to 165 so im growing agian but with this problem u dont gain fast at all i find cause i eat like a horse

#30 Brian Allee

Brian Allee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jay Robb, offers a protein powder derived from eggs. I hear it's really good.
I have tried the vanilla whey, and I am very satisfied. They sell his
products at Wild Oats, or you can purchase online. He also has gluten free protein bars!
Diagnosed January 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: