This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trusting Other People's gluten-free Cooking

domesticactivist

Trusting Other People's GF Cooking  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I'm new to this whole process of going gluten-free. When we started in November we didn't realize all the cross-contamination risks. It's only this week that we've finally finished decontaminating our kitchen (I think we have, anyway)...

In our community a *lot* of people are trying to be gluten-free. At first I thought this was great. I've been surprised that most of these people, however, haven't given a thought to the risks of cross contamination. I've had people tell me that heating our pans to 450 should be fine because "that would kill anything," (nevermind plenty of glutenous baked goods cook that high), ask me why we would replace our bamboo flatware tray (full of crumbs in the little cracks, and not dishwasher-washable), and not realize we had to go through our condiments, throw out old spices, get rid of old appliances used with wheat, or wood utensils, etc.

How do you deal with other gluten-free friends not being as stringent as you? (especially if you know they've done TONS of baking in their kitchens before going gluten free) Would you trust their gluten-free food as something that's ok occasionally?

I already feel I could never trust a restaurant unless it was completely gluten-free, but I see lots of people do go out to eat, and the mainstream books all have stories about going out to eat "successfully."

If my son really does have celiac disease, I've read that even getting glutened in trace amounts that he *doesn't notice* does damage to his small intestine and increases risk of other diseases down the road... but it seems like many celiacs trust the way they feel to tell them if a food is safe or not.

How do you deal with reconciling these differing perspectives, and the inevitability of getting glutened at some point?

Some people think I'm going overboard and that by coming to these forums I'm getting input from only the most extreme perspective. I just want to protect my child - but I don't want to make everyone around me crazy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I put that I never eat anything prepared by gluten-free friends, because I don't have any friends that are gluten-free. I know a few people that should be, but choose not to be.

koolkat222 Newbie

I'm in the same boat as kareng. I don't know anyone else who is gluten-free. It would make things easier, and it would be fun to be able to cook/eat with someone who is as careful as I have to be. :rolleyes:

kareng Grand Master

I'm in the same boat as kareng. I don't know anyone else who is gluten-free. It would make things easier, and it would be fun to be able to cook/eat with someone who is as careful as I have to be. :rolleyes:

As long as it's not a sinking ship! :P

shopgirl Contributor

I don't have any gluten-free friends either. The only other person in the world who cooks for me is my mom and she's meticulous bordering on OCD about it.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I put that I never eat food prepared by gluten-free friends because I don't have any gluten-free friends. However I think I would not trust them if I talked to them and found out they had not eliminated cross contamination. Truth is, some people ar enot as sensitive and maybe don't feel the need to do some of those things, however I AM extremely sensitive to cc. I would hope any friend would understand when I told them I am very sensitive and prefer not to eat food made in a shared environment. I don't eat very much in the way of processed food and I only eat out when traveling or on special occaisions. Although since I got sick the last time it was a "special occaision", so I will be celebrating my next birthday at home with a meal I cook myself. My DH has promised to bake me a gluten free cake (using a BC mix).

mushroom Proficient

I am not extremely sensitive to gluten (more so to other foods, in fact) so I do eat food prepared by real gluten free friends (not the pretend type), and on Christmas day I ate food prepared by people I had never met before but who had been instructed by my friend not to put gluten in anything :o The ingredients were pretty straightforward, the risks of cross-contamination pretty high, but hub and I both survived it. This was a first for me and I am glad I am not ultra sensitive. But I must say it was good to feel 'normal" and no, I did not spend the day worrying. It was a buffet picnic and I did not see any switching of serving spoons and such, and everyone was very thoughtful of our needs. It felt really good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I don't have any gluten free friends either. The last vist to the inlaws I took and made my own food. We haven't been back to visit since my youngest son went gluten free, but when we do I think we are going to have a hard time of it with them. I only trust two people to cook for me now, my husband and my mother. Even though my mother is not gluten free, she is very aware of the cc risk. Funny this came up because we are going this month on vacation with them and I asked her to make and bring me some pickled eggs. She called to tell me that she made them and that she scrubbed down the counter, cleaned and used a stainless steel pot to boil them in, used a fresh bag of sugar and that all the other ingredients were new and labled gluten free. Boy I love my MOM!! I do have a coworker who's house is gluten free because of her husband is celiac. I wouldn't eat anything she makes, not because of the cc risk, but because she uses Bob's Red Mill products and I can't eat them anymore. I do get my coworkers asking if I can have this or that and offer me food all the time and I just politely say no thank you and tell them how sensitive I am to cc. They seem to understand. I do bring stuff in and share it with them and they have liked everything they have tried so far.

srall Contributor

{ votes yes I eat things that my friends make, but really I only do if it's a gluten free dish/item to begin with. So essentially a lot of cut up veggies, or a salad.

The thing I'm most nervous about is how much education went into how I need to feed myself now. (And my daughter). I don't expect others to know or care about all the cc risks. However, I do expect my friends and parents of my daughter's friends to by understanding when I insist on preparing our food, and not be offended when I won't eat theirs even if they've made it especially for us. I beg people not to cook for us for this reason.

And as for restaurants I sort of take my chances. Most of the places we go are more upscale so a little more willing to prepare a special meal. I'm not trying to sound snooty...we NEVER go out anymore compared to "life before" so we are spending much less for food, even if you include my increased grocery budget. So I feel okay going to a nicer restaurant once in a blue moon. I have definitely gotten sick a couple of times. But that was early on in my diagnosis.

kitgordon Explorer

I am not that sensitive to cc, so I do eat at restaurants, and gluten free food prepared by friends and relatives (gluten free or not) as long as they understand what I cannot eat. I don't have any gluten free friends, but a number of my relatives are celiac or gluten intolerant. And I have only been sick once, I assume from cc at a restaurant.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I don't have any gluten free friends but I have friends who tell me they know other people with Celiac disease and they aren't anywhere near as strict as I am. Whoever these people are they make me look neurotic to my gluten eating friends.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Thanks for your replies. I'm really surprised you all don't know other gluten-free folks! In my town it has reached fad level. The thing is, though, it seems to help so many people. I am in Portland, OR, though, which is kind of an alternate universe compared to the rest of the country.

Skylark Collaborator

I have a few friends whose cooking I trust. One is very soy intolerant and she totally understands CC and sensitivities. Another is gluten-free and "gets it". The third makes super simple gluten-free food like rice and lentils with cumin and an onion when she brings stuff to parties and her food has never given me any trouble. She has even called ahead to check particular ingredients with me and I know she is cleaning her counters and pots carefully. It's cool to have such a great friend! I do have one "gluten lite" friend who I don't trust to cook for me.

I only eat out as a treat. I've gotten sick over and over at restaurants where I try to navigate a normal menu, most often from hidden gluten. I've also been lied to about shared fryers and had obviously gluten foods like soy-sauce based dressings or croutons on salad brought to me even after ordering carefully. I've also gotten mysteriously sick from things like plain burgers on lettuce that should have been gluten-free (I'm guessing there were fillers in the burger but who knows). I'm to the point where I only eat out rarely, and only at chains like B.J.'s and P.F. Chang that have decent gluten-free procedures in place.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I have friends of friends that are gluten free and few aquaintances that I met only a few times. Oh and my husband works with a woman that has celiac but she doesn't stick to the gluten free diet. She eats cake when they have the monthly office party. But none of these are good friends that I would ever end up eating in their home for a meal. And most of the other people I have heard about second hand (friends of friends) are not as careful as I am, so IF I somehow ended up in situation where they were preparing food I think I would have to pass. I would love to have a big party with many of the gluten-free individuals on this board however. :)

WheatChef Apprentice

I have a few friends who I know will do things like cut items on a washed plate instead of their cutting board when making food that I'll eat because they know their cutting board may be contaminated. If I know it's one of these people who really go out of their way to make sure I don't get poisoned and even give me a full break down of everything they used and how they prepared it then I'll eat it. I actually trust these friends more than I would any gluten-free person whom I wasn't so familiar with as there are a whole bunch of gluten-free people who get the cross contamination thing flat out incorrectly.

As far as restaurants go, I've had a much better safety record with the major gluten-free option chains such as PF Changs or the Outback family of restaurants than I have with smaller specialty restaurants that have gluten-free options. Thinking about going to one of Portland's all gluten-free casein-free restaurants this wednesday actually

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I don't have any gluten free friends either.

I tried eating in restaurants, but it is too risky.

Most of the time I get sick and when I do it lasts a week.

It is also distressing to think of never eating out again.

So I am in no man's land right now.

No man may cook for me.

Only eat my own food and I'm scared to do that!

It's like doing a science experiment everyday.

Everything is clean but still I get nervous.

Did the butcher have flour on his hands from making crabcakes before he cut the meat?

It does seem ridiculous the thoughts that go through my head about CC but it isn't that farfetched.

I wash the meat too.

You are not being too concerned.

Sometimes there are no symptoms even if there is gluten that is Silent Celiac you are right.

cap6 Enthusiast

I will eat in the home of only 2 friends. One is a former director of nursing & totally understands. The other is a chef who checks out everything with me, wears disposable gloves & (I've watched & helped her) is extremely careful about cc. After spending a week being sick I will not eat at anyone elses home. If I offend & you don't invite me back then I'm sorry. I ask what is being served so that I can bring something simlar.

Restaurants - if they are gluten free certified otherwise it's a plain garden salad & my own sandwich.

Life is too short to spend half the time being sick!! <_<

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. I'm really surprised you all don't know other gluten-free folks! In my town it has reached fad level. The thing is, though, it seems to help so many people. I am in Portland, OR, though, which is kind of an alternate universe compared to the rest of the country.

Mmmmm Corbett's fish house!!! I had the most success in Portland compared to anywhere else I have tried to go and stay gluten-free. My only bad incident was at Outbacks, actually..

lynnelise Apprentice

The only "friend" I have the is gluten free is actually my cousin. She isn't celiac (that she knows of) but she has been on a diet free of flour and sugar for years so she eats no gluten. I trust her cooking because she won't anything processed and no wheat, rye, or barley enters her home. Works out well.

I will sometimes eat at certain NGF friends homes...only the ones that know the entire cross contamination spiel. There are two that I trust.

Restaurants. I've gotten sick dining out quite a few times. :( I've really cut back because it was really bringing me down. Lately I've been sticking to a specific sushi spot, Chickfila, and Outback. I did eat at a Mexican place last night and after a bit of trouble over a sauce on my fish managed to get a 100% plain piece of fish with mushrooms and guacamole. They may have spit in it due to my being a troublemaker but I'd rather have that than gluten! lol! :lol:

cap6 Enthusiast

Gluten free as a current fad is not necessarily cross contamination free.

Archived