#1 Wing

Wing

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hey friends,

Haven't posted in a while but good to be back. Anyways, I have been gluten free for around 4 months with very promising results thus far. My question is about beer. Out of all the previously glutenious products I used to consume, beer is by far the one thing I miss most. Yes, even more than real pasta, real pizza, donuts, coissants etc. I have tried the two kinds of gluten-free beer that the LCBO (Ontario's controlled Liquor Stores - I live in Toronto) and I don't like them at all! They taste more like carbonated saki with a horrible aftertaste.
So I was wondering, how much gluten does beer actually contain? I heard Corona was very low. Has anyone ever had any success drinking beer and not getting sick? Or is even minimal gluten too much? I know it depends on overall sensitivity but I was wondering what the concensus is.
Your feedback and responses are always greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

I know how much you miss beer, I do also. I did once try a Bud Light after someone posted that it was really low in gluten. Big mistake I will never make again. I usually get a bottle of wine and mix it with a soda since I also don't care much for gluten free beer. I may miss beer but it is not worth the sickness to imbibe.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Khara33

Khara33

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I know how much you miss beer, I do also. I did once try a Bud Light after someone posted that it was really low in gluten. Big mistake I will never make again. I usually get a bottle of wine and mix it with a soda since I also don't care much for gluten free beer. I may miss beer but it is not worth the sickness to imbibe.

I missed beer too. After a while you'll forget what 'real' beer tastes like. I enjoy RedBridge - It's the most like a 'real' beer in my opinion. I have also developed a taste for Bard's it's more toward a dark beer, but it's pretty good. I don't care much for the ciders. IF I'm in the mood for cider I like StrongBow.
Now, if they would only make a gluten-free scotch! :)

#4 Wing

Wing

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I missed beer too. After a while you'll forget what 'real' beer tastes like. I enjoy RedBridge - It's the most like a 'real' beer in my opinion. I have also developed a taste for Bard's it's more toward a dark beer, but it's pretty good. I don't care much for the ciders. IF I'm in the mood for cider I like StrongBow.
Now, if they would only make a gluten-free scotch! :)

Khara I thought all distilled alcohols were gluten-free, scotch being included in that. the "safe list" on this site also lists scotch-whisky as distilled and thus gluten free. Am I mistaken?

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Scotch is now generally accepted as safe, but some old lists are still around that have outdated information.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, I don't like the gluten free beers mucheither.

I've started drinking cider instead. A dry cider goes down just like a nce cold beer on a hot day. And in Australia, we drink a lot of cider so it's nit at all uncool to drink it instead of beer when you're at the pub with your mates.

#7 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I would never try regular beer, but I do miss it. However, I just bought some Redbridge and like it well enough. Personally I don't usually drink beer in the middle of the winter but I wanted to try this Redbridge. I'm thinking that cold from the fridge in the middle of the summer when it's 100 degrees outside it will taste pretty good. lol..

Now that Bard's sounds good if it's more like a dark beer. I'm going to look for that because I used to love dark beer. B)

#8 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

I drank Corona until I started reacting to it. Now I drink Strongbow. I tried Bards and I just didn't like it. I also drink a LOT of scotch and wine with no ill effects.

I miss having a good beer too! :P
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#9 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

I don't think "low gluten" cuts it. If you have Celiac disease, you cannot have gluten. Period. Whether or not you react, you are doing damage. Sorry for the tough love..but learn to like Redbridge or Bards, or maybe acquire a new liking such as cider. Your body will thank you.

#10 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

New Grist is my favorite gluten free beer. I can drink Redbridge also. I am not fond of Bards, but I don't really care for the darker beers.

There is a beer from Spain that is made like regular beer and then the gluten is removed. It is called Estrella Daura. It is great tasting, but I am very sensitive and felt slightly ill from it. It does taste exactly like a regular beer. I bought 4 bottles, and plan to try again sometime, just to be sure it was the beer that made me feel bad. It has won awards declaring it to be the best gluten free beer.

Estrella Daura
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#11 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Cider's don't have gluten in them? So would Hornsby's hard cider be ok? I love that stuff!
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

I wouldn't mess with barley beer. Malting removes some of the gluten but not all of it. If you run across them, the Green's gluten-free beers are pricey but really good. Maybe you could get them special ordered or something. http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/

All the ciders I've checked so far have been gluten-free. Supposedly local or small brands can put malt in it so I do always check labels, but I have yet to see a cider that wasn't gluten-free. I'm pretty sure Hornsby's is OK, as are Magner's, Strongbow, Blackthorn, and Wyder's.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Khara I thought all distilled alcohols were gluten-free, scotch being included in that. the "safe list" on this site also lists scotch-whisky as distilled and thus gluten free. Am I mistaken?

Most of us do tolerate distilled gluten but not all. I am one of the ones who doesn't.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 Jenbeans77

Jenbeans77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Cider's don't have gluten in them? So would Hornsby's hard cider be ok? I love that stuff!

yes hornsby's is naturally gluten free and i believe it even says so on the bottle. this is the case with most hard ciders....but if they don't say they are gluten free on the bottle...i might not try it.

#15 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

I drink a lot of cider and I haven't come across one with gluten in yet.

If you haven't drunk cider before, it's best to start with a dry cider rather than a sweet one. It'll be less of a shock if you are used to beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: