Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Reactions To Beer?

22 posts in this topic

Hey friends,

Haven't posted in a while but good to be back. Anyways, I have been gluten free for around 4 months with very promising results thus far. My question is about beer. Out of all the previously glutenious products I used to consume, beer is by far the one thing I miss most. Yes, even more than real pasta, real pizza, donuts, coissants etc. I have tried the two kinds of gluten-free beer that the LCBO (Ontario's controlled Liquor Stores - I live in Toronto) and I don't like them at all! They taste more like carbonated saki with a horrible aftertaste.

So I was wondering, how much gluten does beer actually contain? I heard Corona was very low. Has anyone ever had any success drinking beer and not getting sick? Or is even minimal gluten too much? I know it depends on overall sensitivity but I was wondering what the concensus is.

Your feedback and responses are always greatly appreciated.

Ads by Google:

I know how much you miss beer, I do also. I did once try a Bud Light after someone posted that it was really low in gluten. Big mistake I will never make again. I usually get a bottle of wine and mix it with a soda since I also don't care much for gluten free beer. I may miss beer but it is not worth the sickness to imbibe.

I know how much you miss beer, I do also. I did once try a Bud Light after someone posted that it was really low in gluten. Big mistake I will never make again. I usually get a bottle of wine and mix it with a soda since I also don't care much for gluten free beer. I may miss beer but it is not worth the sickness to imbibe.

I missed beer too. After a while you'll forget what 'real' beer tastes like. I enjoy RedBridge - It's the most like a 'real' beer in my opinion. I have also developed a taste for Bard's it's more toward a dark beer, but it's pretty good. I don't care much for the ciders. IF I'm in the mood for cider I like StrongBow.

Now, if they would only make a gluten-free scotch! :)

I missed beer too. After a while you'll forget what 'real' beer tastes like. I enjoy RedBridge - It's the most like a 'real' beer in my opinion. I have also developed a taste for Bard's it's more toward a dark beer, but it's pretty good. I don't care much for the ciders. IF I'm in the mood for cider I like StrongBow.

Now, if they would only make a gluten-free scotch! :)

Khara I thought all distilled alcohols were gluten-free, scotch being included in that. the "safe list" on this site also lists scotch-whisky as distilled and thus gluten free. Am I mistaken?

Scotch is now generally accepted as safe, but some old lists are still around that have outdated information.

Yeah, I don't like the gluten free beers mucheither.

I've started drinking cider instead. A dry cider goes down just like a nce cold beer on a hot day. And in Australia, we drink a lot of cider so it's nit at all uncool to drink it instead of beer when you're at the pub with your mates.

I would never try regular beer, but I do miss it. However, I just bought some Redbridge and like it well enough. Personally I don't usually drink beer in the middle of the winter but I wanted to try this Redbridge. I'm thinking that cold from the fridge in the middle of the summer when it's 100 degrees outside it will taste pretty good. lol..

Now that Bard's sounds good if it's more like a dark beer. I'm going to look for that because I used to love dark beer. B)

I drank Corona until I started reacting to it. Now I drink Strongbow. I tried Bards and I just didn't like it. I also drink a LOT of scotch and wine with no ill effects.

I miss having a good beer too! :P

I don't think "low gluten" cuts it. If you have Celiac disease, you cannot have gluten. Period. Whether or not you react, you are doing damage. Sorry for the tough love..but learn to like Redbridge or Bards, or maybe acquire a new liking such as cider. Your body will thank you.

New Grist is my favorite gluten free beer. I can drink Redbridge also. I am not fond of Bards, but I don't really care for the darker beers.

There is a beer from Spain that is made like regular beer and then the gluten is removed. It is called Estrella Daura. It is great tasting, but I am very sensitive and felt slightly ill from it. It does taste exactly like a regular beer. I bought 4 bottles, and plan to try again sometime, just to be sure it was the beer that made me feel bad. It has won awards declaring it to be the best gluten free beer.

Estrella Daura

Cider's don't have gluten in them? So would Hornsby's hard cider be ok? I love that stuff!

I wouldn't mess with barley beer. Malting removes some of the gluten but not all of it. If you run across them, the Green's gluten-free beers are pricey but really good. Maybe you could get them special ordered or something. http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/

All the ciders I've checked so far have been gluten-free. Supposedly local or small brands can put malt in it so I do always check labels, but I have yet to see a cider that wasn't gluten-free. I'm pretty sure Hornsby's is OK, as are Magner's, Strongbow, Blackthorn, and Wyder's.

Khara I thought all distilled alcohols were gluten-free, scotch being included in that. the "safe list" on this site also lists scotch-whisky as distilled and thus gluten free. Am I mistaken?

Most of us do tolerate distilled gluten but not all. I am one of the ones who doesn't.

Cider's don't have gluten in them? So would Hornsby's hard cider be ok? I love that stuff!

yes hornsby's is naturally gluten free and i believe it even says so on the bottle. this is the case with most hard ciders....but if they don't say they are gluten free on the bottle...i might not try it.

I drink a lot of cider and I haven't come across one with gluten in yet.

If you haven't drunk cider before, it's best to start with a dry cider rather than a sweet one. It'll be less of a shock if you are used to beer.

Redbridge is my favourite - my gluten friends tell me it reminds them of Heinekin. But alas, I too am in Ontario where the government (=LCBO) decides what we can drink! Any time I have friends going down to the US I always get them to bring me back some Redbridge. Unfortunately Redbridge won't ship to Ontario (I asked). Probably because of LCBO rules! There is a new gluten-free beer that just became available at the LCBO - its called Nickel Brook and its not bad either.

I love Redbridge. It took me a while to get the taste for it, but now I enjoy it. Even my sister and her beer-expert boyfriend like it. The downside is that although it's easy to find in Minnesota liquor stores, it is impossible to find at restaurants and pubs. When I go out I get a bottle of cider; I like it but some can be so sweet that I'm sipping at it very slowly and when it's gone, I cannot order another round. If anyone knows of a bar that serves Redbridge or even Bard's let me know. I'd like to enjoy the drinking part of "drinking with friends" a little more.

I don't think "low gluten" cuts it. If you have Celiac disease, you cannot have gluten. Period. Whether or not you react, you are doing damage. Sorry for the tough love..but learn to like Redbridge or Bards, or maybe acquire a new liking such as cider. Your body will thank you.

Right on!

I've said it elsewhere, but it might be worth repeating, though it is likely only relevant to Canadians.

I really enjoy Messagere beer, available for sure in BC, AB, and PQ

It is closer to an English ale, so it may not appeal to lager drinkers. I can't really make a distinction between it and a good British beer.

I've tried several gluten free beers in both Canada and the UK. Some I find horrible, some are great. There doesn't seem to be any need to have barley or wheat in beer to make a great product.

There is always a great feeling of anticipation trying a new one!

I really enjoy Messagere beer, available for sure in BC, AB, and PQ

The original blonde and newer Red Ale are both available in Ontario, although you may have to special order at your local LCBO.

Hey friends,

Haven't posted in a while but good to be back. Anyways, I have been gluten free for around 4 months with very promising results thus far. My question is about beer. Out of all the previously glutenious products I used to consume, beer is by far the one thing I miss most. Yes, even more than real pasta, real pizza, donuts, coissants etc. I have tried the two kinds of gluten-free beer that the LCBO (Ontario's controlled Liquor Stores - I live in Toronto) and I don't like them at all! They taste more like carbonated saki with a horrible aftertaste.

So I was wondering, how much gluten does beer actually contain? I heard Corona was very low. Has anyone ever had any success drinking beer and not getting sick? Or is even minimal gluten too much? I know it depends on overall sensitivity but I was wondering what the concensus is.

Your feedback and responses are always greatly appreciated.

There are several made in the US and I'm not crazy about any of them, though I'll break down and have one anyway, once in a while.

You might see if your Liquor Stores can order in Green's. I'd read that it was #1 gluten free beer in U.K. It is Belgian, and there are pale ales as well as a wonderful dark beer. I think they are far superior to any of the domestic ones I've tried. Fortunately, one of our larger liquor stores in Denver CO carries the Greens.

I also like a nice cold Magners Hard Cider, just for a change.

New Grist is my favorite gluten free beer. I can drink Redbridge also. I am not fond of Bards, but I don't really care for the darker beers.

There is a beer from Spain that is made like regular beer and then the gluten is removed. It is called Estrella Daura. It is great tasting, but I am very sensitive and felt slightly ill from it. It does taste exactly like a regular beer. I bought 4 bottles, and plan to try again sometime, just to be sure it was the beer that made me feel bad. It has won awards declaring it to be the best gluten free beer.

Estrella Daura

I'd avoid the Daura. I learned the hard way- definitely glutened from this one.