This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergies Since Going Gluten Free?!

cassP

cassP Contributor

hi... im not sure how to present this question, but have any of you noticed that since you've gone gluten free, you now are having food allergies that you never had before???? im so confused, i thought i had things figured out. ??

i am one of those people who, while i had a sensitive digestive system, i NEVER had allergies, ever. i broke out in hot hives ONCE when i was 7 or 8... my mom's best guess was that i reacted to Penicillin. ???

then a few months ago (after going 100% gluten free, and before adding any thyroid medication)- i had a SEVERE reaction to a frozen dinner - and my best guess from narrowing down the other items was that i reacted to High Maltose Corn Syrup. my stomach throbbed, and i broke out in hives, and also got a few more DH blisters. so i assumed that my body THOUGHT HMCS is gluten.

then around thanksgiving, had similar reaction to a butternut squash dish from whole foods (still NO gluten)... and it was not the fructose side effects i get- it was allergic/hot/hives.

couple of weeks ago, i hived again - from Raw Carrots ????!!!!!! (what the H????)

and today, during lunch at work, i had a hard boiled egg & some raw zuchinni (never bothered me before)- and once again- HOT HIVES & throbbing stomach...

what the hell is going on????

has anyone else experienced hyper allergic reactions after going gluten free?? its just so strange, and frankly annoying

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

I didn't have allergic reactions, per se, but had many intolerances that gradually resolved. I had brain fog, digestive issues from: corn, rice, beans, cruciferous veggies, dairy, nuts, seeds, and lots more. Maybe try an elimination diet and keep a food journal to figure it out. Start by eliminating the top 8 allergens from your diet. Feel better soon!

laura4669 Apprentice

I am trying to figure out my other food allergies as well, and it IS frustrating! I am off gluten, dairy, corn and eggs. A little soy creeps in now and then, mostly by accident, because soy is in everything. I don't get hives, but very bad brain fog and waves of exhaustion wash over me.

Last night I had turkey sausage, potatoes and onions cooked in olive oil. About thirty minutes later, I had the brain fog and tiredness. Can't figure it out either!

I have tried, but I am not one of those people who can just eat a few things for weeks at a time to figure out what is bothering me. I am thinking of doing the IgG allergy testing (ELISA) that many people say has helped them. Not sure though, because I have also heard that the blood allergy testing is not reliable.

I hope you figure out what is causing your hives! It is not something topical is it? Or something in the air? Just guessing.

cassP Contributor

its definitely food allergies- in the above incidences- the reactions started shortly after eating them- and it starts with my my stomach actually throbbing... then it gets kind of hot- then i know the HOT HIVES will be creeping up my neck and face and forearms :( it's very strange, cause like i said- i never had food allergies before. and its the evening and let me tell u- my right forearm looks like it's about to erupt into DH

now food intolerances- ive got innumerous ones... completely different from the hive thing.... i will not even exhaust all of u guys with my list of that

i was just curious, because i never had these reactions before going gluten free... im wondering if now my body has become hypersensitve??? :huh:

Muffy Rookie

What is DH or DH blisters?

its definitely food allergies- in the above incidences- the reactions started shortly after eating them- and it starts with my my stomach actually throbbing... then it gets kind of hot- then i know the HOT HIVES will be creeping up my neck and face and forearms sad.gif it's very strange, cause like i said- i never had food allergies before. and its the evening and let me tell u- my right forearm looks like it's about to erupt into DH

now food intolerances- ive got innumerous ones... completely different from the hive thing.... i will not even exhaust all of u guys with my list of that

i was just curious, because i never had these reactions before going gluten free... im wondering if now my body has become hypersensitve??? huh.gif

psawyer Proficient

DH is Dermatitis Herpetiformis, the skin rash manifestation of celiac disease.

Cinderella10 Newbie

A year after being paranoid about being gluten-free, I still was not feeling better. So, despite my primary care doctor and my gastroenterologist thinking allergy testing would be useless, I went ahead anyway, just to see.

It came up with "2" on beef, chicken, eggs (whites & yolks), bananas, carrots, corn and a "3" on milk. Eliminating those, I'm doing a lot better, and I surprised both of the other doctors. :) I have gastroparesis on top of it all, so that's what I'm dealing with right now.

It came as a surprise to me, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived