This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What About Microwaves And Ovens?

domesticactivist

domesticactivist Collaborator

I've seen people talking about bringing their own microwave when traveling... What are the risks associated with using a (clean) microwave that has heated glutenous food before?

What about an older oven? Is cleaning it enough or is there something I'm missing? Btw, I'm not talking about shared. We are no longer bringing it in the house at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TooManyHats Rookie

I've seen people talking about bringing their own microwave when traveling... What are the risks associated with using a (clean) microwave that has heated glutenous food before?

What about an older oven? Is cleaning it enough or is there something I'm missing? Btw, I'm not talking about shared. We are no longer bringing it in the house at all.

My oven, my microwave, and my toaster oven are all shared. I was wondering the same thing myself.

psawyer Proficient

If they have been thoroughly cleaned, there should be no problem. But when traveling it is faster and easier to bring your own gluten-free microwave. As long as the food is on a clean plate and covered, you can probably use a shared microwave without trouble.

If the oven is self-cleaning, run the clean cycle. It is hard to get rid of gluten with heat--you need at least 600F sustained for at least 30 minutes to break down the gluten. An ordinary oven won't do that, but self-cleaning does.

For what it costs, I would get a new, gluten-free toaster oven.

We borrowed a self clean oven to reseason our cast iron, but ours is not self cleaning and it only gets up to 500f. We don't cook gluten in it anymore. Would just cleaning it be ok?

Jestgar Rising Star

yes. It's just a lot more work. ;)

runningcrazy Contributor

Well when people go places they might bring the microwaves so they can cook for themselves, not necessarily to avoid used ones. Thats just a thought, I know I always use other peoples microwave.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

If your food is on a plate with something covering it, I can't see any way that using a microwave that has had gluten in it could possibly be a problem. Don't lick the microwave and you'll be fine! :P

Same goes for the oven. Don't put your gluten free pizza directly on the oven rack - put it (or whatever you're baking) on a clean proper baking pan/sheet and you'll be fine. Again no licking the oven and you'll be A-OK!

Toaster - yeah, the crumbs are in there and hard to get out. Toaster oven - again, use a baking sheet or foil under your food. And no licking the toaster oven either! :D

(Sorry for the licking jokes...it was my 11 year old's response to someone's worries about touching door knobs. He said not to lick the door knob and you'd be OK!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarolinaKip Community Regular

What do all of you think of using two shared micros at my school that are not cleaned regularly?? I've put papertowels down and over my container...but worry. I got a steel thermos, but my veggies tasted nasty!

psawyer Proficient

What do all of you think of using two shared micros at my school that are not cleaned regularly?? I've put papertowels down and over my container...but worry. I got a steel thermos, but my veggies tasted nasty!

Paper towels under your clean container and over top of it should be fine. To be really paranoid thorough, lift the covering towel and discard it. Then wash your hands before taking your container out of the microwave. Leave the other towel for later (or somebody else) to deal with.

:)

TooManyHats Rookie

I generally wrap my whole plate in waxed paper in the microwave. I've also been putting food on a baking dish or on foil. I've even done toast like that (gotta flip it though). I've been washing our sponge and scrubbie pad in the dishwasher everyday and don't put any cooking utensil or eating utensil down unless it's on a paper plate or on a paper towel. I'm glad that I don't need to be even more paranoid than I already am, which is already pretty bad! :D

One question though, I have had tupperware cereal containers for years which have always had gluten cereal in them. They aren't scratched and seem in good shape. I've washed them in the dishwasher twice now. Do you think they're safe? I've already lost a fortune in tupperware and would like to save both my cereal containers and my canisters if possible.

psawyer Proficient

One question though, I have had tupperware cereal containers for years which have always had gluten cereal in them. They aren't scratched and seem in good shape. I've washed them in the dishwasher twice now. Do you think they're safe? I've already lost a fortune in tupperware and would like to save both my cereal containers and my canisters if possible.

If they are not scratched and have been thoroughly washed (two dishwasher runs would be good enought for me), I would consider them safe. YMMV.

Thanks! Although it would be lovely to be able to justify a new oven, we dont have the money, so I suppose it's a good thing cleaning it is fine. :)

kayo Explorer

Our microwave at work should be declared a health hazard. I once opened it and said out loud, OMG, did a murder happen in here? I avoid it unless it's been cleaned not because of gluten but because it's just gross. When clean I use a paper plate under my tupperware and put a paper towel over the food or the tupperware lid. Then I discard the paper plate (holding it from edge only) and the paper towel (holding it from edge only).

Dixiebell Contributor

My microwave has always been clean, if food splatters, clean it out. My granny was always a clean freak and I spent summers with her. I never really had seen a dirty microwave, or I guess paid attention, until my partime job. It would make me so mad that someone would leave it in that condition and I could just imagine what their home or microwave looked like. :o Those 'how clean is your house' type shows really explains why you need to clean it regularly. They would find all kinds of bad bacteria in them, the kinds that can really make you sick. I just recently was at someone's house and wanted to heat something, opened the door and about lost my (gluten-free)cookies! This one should have been declared a health hazard! It was worse than the one at my old work. I did not end up heating anything. Thank goodness the woman was not inside at the time to see my reaction. I did make sure when she was at my house, I was heating water, to leave the door slightly open after to let the moisture out. ;)

cap6 Enthusiast

Microwaves & refrigerator's in the work place are beyond disgusting!

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

OK, I clearly need to edit my response! I had no idea there were that disgusting of microwaves out there...of course I wouldn't be using them because of the general health factor; forget about gluten being a problem! Definitely don't lick those bad boys!! :D

lentzKat Newbie

Microwaves & refrigerator's in the work place are beyond disgusting!

Not just the microwaves and refrigerators there but the tables and chairs. I just got diagnosed with Celiac Sprue a week ago, and believe the break room at work is a major source of cross-contamination for my gluten-free food because no matter how hard I try, it keeps happening. I wash the area where I will eat extra well now, and place everything of mine on top of paper towels even if they are on plates or in containers. I wash everything washable and my hands before I eat, and still end up sick after meals there. At home, I thoroughly cleaned areas for my food and have it separated from the things my husband will eat. I've also placed anything I use in separate closed in areas and shelves in our kitchen and refrigerator to avoid cross-contamination. I may end up eating my lunch out in my car to avoid this if it keeps up, and in Milwaukee that is not the warmest of options in January. Still better than always feeling sick and being in pain though.

Archived