1 reply to this topic

#1 Trymester

Trymester

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

The thread title says it all. There is a thread from '06 somewhere when I check the search engine, but alot could've changed since then. I know that there is some sort of Celiac Disease center in NY, but they don't take my insurance and want $500 for the initial visit. I was wondering if anyone else in the area may have a recommendation. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 joey1011

joey1011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

The doctor who diagnosed me is Tammy Leopold, who is my primary care doctor. She's the first doctor who even suggested the possibility to me on the first time I visited her, had me get the blood test, and it was off the charts. This was after around 10 years of unexplained symptoms, the worst being severe brain fog, and going through the ringer in the healthcare system in general. Internists, sleep testing, neurologists, psychiatrists, and nobody before had even suggested the possibility of celiac disease. My gastroenterologist is Peter Kim, but the only thing I really do there is get a periodic blood test to make sure my anti-gliadin antibodies remain low, and there's no gluten sneaking into my diet. Neither of these doctors specialize in Celiac, but they are knowledgeable about it.

Also, I don't know what the charge is for uninsured people, but the blood test alone can cost between 300 and 500 dollars. No telling what an endoscopy would cost out of pocket. I never had to get one since all my antibody tests were extremely high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: