arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long For Anxiety (And Other Symptoms) To Go Away Or Get Better?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

How long for the anxiety to go away?

(if it is indeed in reaction to gluten)

I'm not talking about anxiety ABOUT celiac symptoms, I am talking about anxiety in and of itself (generalized anxiety disorder, panick attacks, eaxagerated fear and startle responses,...).

4 days into the gluten free thing, and I am the same.

the ONLY thing that is better is my GI symptoms, though they were rarelly extreme, my digestion is much better, overall.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

It can take weeks, months, sometimes over a year. The fact that you're seeing some improvement is good but you really have to give it time.

My panic attacks abated after the first month. I still get anxiety but it's lessening slowly. I expect another several months before it's gone entirely.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

Hmm, that sounded a little harsh and I didn't intend it to.

But I really believe time and patience is what's going to heal you best.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#4 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

It took me about three months to really notice a difference and I would say I have had that problem since high school (mid 80's).
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#5 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

How long for the anxiety to go away?

(if it is indeed in reaction to gluten)

I'm not talking about anxiety ABOUT celiac symptoms, I am talking about anxiety in and of itself (generalized anxiety disorder, panick attacks, eaxagerated fear and startle responses,...).

4 days into the gluten free thing, and I am the same.

the ONLY thing that is better is my GI symptoms, though they were rarelly extreme, my digestion is much better, overall.

My GP said that unfortunately it might be that my anxiety is unrelated to my gluten intolerance. I'd hoped cutting out gluten, sugar and caffeine would see improvements, but I don't see any pattern (except with caffeine but only with excessive amounts) and for me it's been 8 months.

Still, 4 days is very early. I hope you continue to see improvements and that for you it does resolve. All the best!

#6 possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

Thanks everyone. It's noce to read about all the different expeirences. I am on day 5 of being gluten free and my digestion is so much better. I *think* I am sleeping a bit better and also i am not waking up with this cloud of black depression over my head (which felt like a physical pain, like my brain was affected). I don,t know how much of it is psycho somatic (placebo effect?) and how much of it is real...

Also, I am no longer craving anything and everything wheat and bakery item, which I always was. cake, pie, muffins, baguette, english muffins, pita, bagels, you name it, I had to stuff myself with those each day.

#7 Tiferet

Tiferet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

Thanks everyone. It's noce to read about all the different expeirences. I am on day 5 of being gluten free and my digestion is so much better. I *think* I am sleeping a bit better and also i am not waking up with this cloud of black depression over my head (which felt like a physical pain, like my brain was affected). I don,t know how much of it is psycho somatic (placebo effect?) and how much of it is real...[/quote]

I don't think it is psychosomatic. I used to have this sensation in my head like itchy static and it's gone.

[quote name='possiblyglutensensitive' timestamp='1294749229' post='667052']Also, I am no longer craving anything and everything wheat and bakery item, which I always was. cake, pie, muffins, baguette, english muffins, pita, bagels, you name it, I had to stuff myself with those each day.
[/quote]

I thought I would feel deprived and want them, but when I look at them I see poison. They're what's made me feel awful for years and years, I no more want to eat gluten than I want to eat rat poison. It hasn't been that long, maybe that will change, but right now the thought of eating gluten is abhorrent to me.

#8 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

We were hoping the gluten-free diet would cure our son's anxiety but now it seems that may be something else, maybe nightshades.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: