24 replies to this topic

#1 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Someone on another site brought up how cool it would be to see cross contamination and gluten featured on mythbusters. My kids love the idea and asked me to get everyone I can to submit myths about gluten to mythbusters. I started a thread on their site and I hope folks will post their gluten related myths as well.
Here is the thread I started: http://community.dis...8/m/43019274701
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CrunchyChristianMama

CrunchyChristianMama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Someone on another site brought up how cool it would be to see cross contamination and gluten featured on mythbusters. My kids love the idea and asked me to get everyone I can to submit myths about gluten to mythbusters. I started a thread on their site and I hope folks will post their gluten related myths as well.
Here is the thread I started: http://community.dis...8/m/43019274701

The person who responded to your thread on there needs some serious Celiac education!
Mom of a 2.5-year-old Celiac
9 -18 months only gained 1-2 lbs.
18-24 months went gluten-free after she started getting dermatitis herpetiformis upon gluten exposure and started gaining a pound a month
Food sensitivity test showed moderate sensitivity to gluten
IgE showed no allergies
Genetic test showed gene for Celiac
Pediatric Gastroenterologist says Celiac

#3 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

The person who responded to your thread on there needs some serious Celiac education!

Yeah. I wrote this back:

domesticactivist
Posted 01-10-11 05:31 PM    
We've already seen and experienced the very real negative effects from getting cross contaminated food, despite careful ingredient checking. The question is not whether we need to be concerned about contamination, but what measures actually can destroy the gluten proteins.

Interestingly, the wiki article the person quoted contradicts what was said in that person's post!

I am a little nervous mb will take it up then spread misinformation, but the more people post contradictory statements, the more likely the topic is to be taken up. My son really would love to see his issues reflected in mainstream culture and mb does tend to do a good job. I want to support his efforts to reach out.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

#4 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

That guy's post really irritated me. Made me (just for a moment) wish that he was a very sensitive celiac being told that his actions seem extreme. Butthead :angry:

Just to be clear, the butthead is the guy arguing on the thread about destroying gluten, not this forum :P
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#5 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Here is another related thread: http://community.dis...6/m/29119374701

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I registered as gfKaren. He just wants to argue. It had nothing to do with the question really.

"Why are you being so argumentative? Questioning the ladies illness? All she and her kids wanted to know was at what temperature a wheat gluten protein incinerates. We have heard that it is a big sturdy molecule that can withstand temperatures that would destroy other proteins. Debating with us whether 1 molecule can make us sick has nothing to do with the topic and request."

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Yeah I noticed that response or two you got was pretty grouchy. I have never heard anyone bicker with someone about a diagnosed medical condition - let alone completely miss the point of the post. All you wanted to know is how hot does the water have to get to destroy gluten and can it hang around with normal washing & still contaminate someone.

Brother!

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Just to be clear, the butthead is the guy arguing on the thread about destroying gluten, not this forum :P

No...none of us here are ever butt heads! :P

I think everyone should go on there and back her up! C.com against Buttheads!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#9 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

:) don't forget to maintain the high ground. Buttheads usually just end up making themselves look bad, anyway.

#10 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I just posted a comment under the name gfSarah. I'm afraid after I posted I saw that I was a little long winded and preachy, but, oh well. :rolleyes:

I wish people would be more understanding and encouraging about what we have to do to stay healthy. It's not like it's easy or something we do just cause we want to.

#11 BeHappy!

BeHappy!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Wow. What's his problem? Does he even know what Celiac is?? Some people need to find a hobby... Just ignore him. Don't even give him the negative attention. He doesn't deserve it. Let's all just keep writing that we have seen some serious regression. Some people.... Sheesh.

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

That guy is a total creep. I had to stop reading because I was getting ready to post something pretty fierce.

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

I looked around. The guy is an "expert" on everything. He gets his info from Wikipedia which is not always accurate. He must be pretty old because he said "wet hen party". I'm not sure anyone under 80 would use that term.

Anyway, ignoring him will probably frustrate him the most.

LTES

#14 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

You know what? I'm so impressed to have finally found a forum (this one) where people know how to deal with trolls!

#15 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

You know what? I'm so impressed to have finally found a forum (this one) where people know how to deal with trolls!

Don't you get a really big Billy Goat to head butt him off the bridge? :P

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: