#16 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

A quote from lynnelise that speaks volumes to me:

"I think one reason that people like to think that stuff like this only exists in our mind because to admit that it's real would be admitting it could happen to them."

It irritated me. My son and I are not 'offically diagnosed' but we know we can't eat it.
This may be this guys hobby. Maybe he likes to stir up $h#t.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

I thought about saying this but decided not to engage him anymore.

Do you have a food, like green peppers (for example) that you have figured out disagrees with you. Everytime you have an omlette with gps, you have gas and belch all day? If you have the omlette without the gps, you do fine. You have figured out GPs are bad for you and you try to avoid them.

Some people try no gluten for a couple of weeks and feel much better. They donot want to make themselves or thier child feel sick again by eating gluten to get a blood test.

An endoscopy done right away might be informative. The main problem with that procedure is that it isn't a good diagnostic tool for someone in the early stages unless they are lucky. According to your beloved Wikipedia, the average adult small intestine is 16 feet. If 20% is damaged and most GIs take 3-6 biopsies, what are the odds that the GI might miss and only biopsy healthy tissue? I don't know. Someone can do the math. (Never heard of a decent GI doc, musch less a pediatric one, that can get you in in less than 1 month, just my observation)

The problem with the "little bit won't hurt you theory" is that little bits add up. Wikipedia says we can consume 500 units(?) per day and not cause any immune rsponse. Great! That becomes the standard for gluten free. Now we have food labelled gluten-free at 400 units per serving, below the Govt standard. I eat a sandwich of gluten-free bread for lunch - each 1 slice serving is 400 units. Silly me, I use 2 pieces to make my sandwich. I am already over the limit for my day. I didn't even eat 2 gluten-free cookies (2 cookies = 1 serving, gluten 300 units) for dessert yet or figure in the accidental crumb from my kids whole wheat sandwich. This is why it is so important to eliminate every crumb you can, because they add up. This is also why a much lower standard of gluten-free is important.

That's all I'm going to say.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#18 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

Using the term "wet hen party" just made me laugh. :D

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

Well, here's my MB show suggestion. A little sexiness should help get people interested in the topic.

Ok, here is one I'd like to see MB test. Can a person be exposed to enough gluten to get sick from kissing a gluten eater who hasn't brushed their teeth? Say your significant other just drank a heavy German beer and wants to smooch you up. Can a celiac get sick from kissing them? Celiac sites I have read suggest the answer could be yes, if the beer drinker hasn't brushed and rinsed/gargled first. But is there enough residual gluten transferred from a kiss to make a celiac sick?

The US FDA is still considering their rules for labeling foods gluten free although by law they were supposed to be final years ago. Their proposed standard is less than 20 ppm to label a food gluten free. So, does a gluten kisser transfer 20 ppm or more to another person? Of course this test doesn't have to be done with real celiacs. If a method of collecting the gluten from the kissee's mouth and measuring it is used, it doesn't matter if the person is celiac or not. The amount of gluten transferred is the question.

We all know lipstick can get transferred during a kiss, why not gluten (gliaden)?

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#20 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

I love it :)
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#21 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Wow, talk a about a troll fest over there on the mythbuster's thread. That one person needs a hobby! I cant take anyone seriously when they condescendingly start a reply with, now ladies...

I just registered so I can also request they tackle how easily, or not, gluten can be destroyed on cookware and utensils. I think that would make for a very interesting experiment. How happy would we all be to find out hot soapy water does the trick?
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#22 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Wow, talk a about a troll fest over there on the mythbuster's thread. That one person needs a hobby! I cant take anyone seriously when they condescendingly start a reply with, now ladies...

I just registered so I can also request they tackle how easily, or not, gluten can be destroyed on cookware and utensils. I think that would make for a very interesting experiment. How happy would we all be to find out hot soapy water does the trick?

Personally Myth Busters only want things you can crash, drop, burn, make explode, float, fly and gluten doesn't fit into any of those catergories.

There are 2 Hopes of getting anything to do with Gluten featured.

1. Bob Hope
2. No Hope

David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#23 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

It's a long shot but I have seen episodes where they had segments that didn't involve crashes or explosions. The tight jeans come to mind. I imagine they could incinerate stuff for this one. That could be fun. The thread I started has well over 1000 views and three checks for ratings. Which is way more than most threads. That plus a troll test indicate controversy around the subject. Seems there is interest.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#24 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

I agree, explosions are something MB always find a way to fit in. Big kids get big explosions! They could blowup a truckload of wheat and test the remains for gluten. I wouldn't cry over some destroyed wheat. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#25 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

I do love Bob Hope...maybe we should try him :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: