Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Grandparents And Celiacs

5 posts in this topic

Anyone else have to deal with grandparents who refuse to wash their hands after eating gluten?

Even after my Doctor wrote them a letter? Even when their Grandson asks. They think we are exaggerating and his Grandmother even Grabbed and held my son's hand after eating a piece of bread when he asked her to wash her hands. totally frustrated. Any suggestions?

Ads by Google:

How rude(if it is on purpose)....I can't believe they would not follow something to help their grandson. This may make them mad but personally I would say..."This can make him very sick and if you can not respect that, as much as we hate to do this, then we will not be allowing him over anymore."

At this point they are blowing it off like its nothing. If they realize that this is serious and if they don't follow it then they won't get to see him then hopefully they would change.

This is just my opinion...there are other ways you could approach it.

Shoot, I have a HUSBAND that forgets to do that...

as far as grandparents go... that's a whole "nuther" can of worms... I don't think they do it intentionally, but they def. expose my daughter to gluten by some of their actions... My mom's house is SOOOOO Not gluten free, even though I've stocked her up with safe snacks and such, they still have an abundance of gluten laden goodies laying around and they will munch them, not wash hands OR MOUTH and will hug and kiss her all the time I'm just wigging the entire time. I feel like I can't relax.

My parents were alot like that, unitl Emmie got really sick a few weeks ago. They never intentionally gave her gluten or anything, they just didn't understand the seriousness of it. If Emmie broke out in hives or had trouble breathing, it would be easier for them to "get" I think.

Last time Em's spent the night, the next day she was very lethargic, was crying/screaming all day, and wouldn't eat. This lasted for nearly two weeks. So, now they totally get it. They are so good now......she spent the night again last weekend and my parents made a special trip to the store to load up on gluten-free goodies before their outing.

I don't know what I would do if my parents actually refused to comply with washing of their hands.........I guess I'd have to tell them that my kids couldn't come over until they took the disease for the seriousness that it is. My parents didn't do anything intentional, they really just didn't know or they would forget. As hard as it was seeing Emmie so sick, at least it opened my parents eyes to the disease and how much havoc it can cause on such a little body. That was really the only thing that worked.

Okay guys, listen to this...I am Dakota's 60 year old grandma, and it was I who sent away for the $378 spectrum of tests which identified that Dakota has gluten intolerance and allergies to milk and dairy. It was I who spent his first 11 months of life as his primary daycare provider, watching like a guard-dog to make sure he stayed on his diet. Then at 1 year of age his parents put him into preschool and stopped his special diet after a Kaiser doctor gave him a blood test and said he didn't have Celiac. Now I'm keeping him again 1-2 days a week, and can't help but feed him gluten-free, milk and dairy-free foods (I have had the same intolerances since the age of 8).

I am once again creating special foods for Dakota and even leaving them in special containers in the refrigerator at his family's home. I know that no one else in the family realizes that Dakota's eating forbidden foods can have truly drastic effects, but since my symptoms are asthma and wheezing when I eat those foods, they realize that I must stick to my special diet.

It is a day-by-day journey. We must do what we can, no matter how big or small, and these family members are looking ultimately to us for patience, steadfastness, understanding and TOLERANCE. Lord help us to be the examples we can be! I am so glad you are all there. Welda Lou

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I too have heart palps, flutters, skips whatever you want to call them. Ecg shows nothing. I was told by my doctor it is due to my low iron which is due to celiac. They pretty much went away after being gluten-free. But occasionally do come back. I've actually been having them for the past 3 days. But I was glutened with really severe reaction about a week ago so not sure if its due to that. Or if iron is low right now. I am on supplements but it still goes up and down. I hear you about doctors. It seems if you don't do research yourself or ask questions they don't say or do or test for anything. 
    • For a number of years pre diagnosis I had irregular heartbeats - anything from a fluttering type thing to seemingly skipping one or more beats to rapid beats to something like a short drum riff. I had multiple ECG's which didn't find anything odd. It never did it when I was at the doctors or getting the ECG's. Sometimes it seemed to pound very hard & rapid, at these times I discovered if I just laid down flat on my back, it would restore normal rhythm almost instantly. These things happened at random whether I was at rest, sitting, standing, running or working hard. It was always short lived -- lasting only 1 to several seconds, perhaps the longest was close to a minute. I too have little faith in docs as I've had my share of being blown off, to misdiagnoses. The whole heart thing quit after I had been gluten-free for a while but if I get glutened, it returns.
    • My daughter had the HPV Vaccine last year. It was administered in three doses in April 2015, May 2015, and August 2015. Immediately after the third dose, she started having weird symptoms such has headaches, irritability, and a general feeling of being unwell (which she never had before). About three months later she started having gastro symptoms, most notably constant nausea. For several months we tried to figure out what was wrong and none of the doctors knew. After seeing many doctors and having a battery of tests, she was finally diagnosed with Celiac in August 2016. Her intestinal damage was a 3b Marsh score. No one else in our immediate or extended family has Celiac (myself and my other daughter were tested and are negative). No one else has symptoms or any indication that they could have Celiac. I feel like my daughter could have gone her whole life without being triggered and I'm feeling very guilty for making her get this controversial vaccine. I have done a lot of research and there seems to be conflicting studies regarding vaccines and autoimmune diseases. Some say there is no link, while others say there is a possible link, but it cannot be proven at this time. No one seems to know for sure what triggers Celiac...could it be vaccines? I'm wondering if anyone else feels that their Celiac Disease was triggered by a vaccine?  
    • Here is an article, albeit short, about Myocarditis and Celiac disease.  I have read before about a connection between the two and A-Fib is another one that can happen with undiagnosed Celiac. From one over-thinker to another......its the inflammation thing, along with maybe some genetic components to it.  I can't remember how long you have been gluten-free but it can take awhile for things to settle down, especially if your thyroid is wonky also.  I have Celiac and Hashi's so feel your pain, even though I have not had any cardiac involvement.  Some doctors really suck. I have a lifetime of bad with them so do not go that often, only when I have to and am leery about seeing any new ones. I am so done with that attitude of theirs. I think you need to find someone who has knowledge of Celiac and it's related conditions and who actually listens to the patient. That might be harder than finding a needle in a haystack but I wish you luck! 
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12045166
    • Older people often show clinically atypical symptoms of celiac disease, which can delay diagnosis. View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Cjplmon