17 replies to this topic

#1 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

I think I found out why - after reviewing the ingredients - they have added a mold inhibitor which may be a sensitivity problem. I know with the Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese - this has been added as well - which may be why Kraft does not have this cheese on its gluten free web page. The other cheeses yes, but not this particular brand. The inhibitor is natamycin - and it seems that some do have a sensitivity to this type of preservative.

I did an experiment and stopped eating the bread for 5 days and for that time - I no longer had the diarrhea. Now I am a bit afraid to try it again.....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

Where did you find a Kraft gluten-free web page? It didn't come up with a google search.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for that info! I had never heard of such a thing. I am just adding SOME cheese back in my diet OCCASSIONALLY, as I'm also dairy-intolerant. But I've found I can tolerate it sometimes. I was VERY disappointed to learn Udi's has eggs in their ingredients. Again, another item I'm VERY intolerant of. I tried to add it back in like the cheese, but its a no go for now. :(

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

Actually, Kraft doesn't have a gluten free list for the US. They will clearly list any gluten in the ingredient list, and will also state if the product was made on the same lines as something with gluten.

Per phone conversation 1/11/11.

Edited by jerseyangel, 11 January 2011 - 07:53 AM.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

You may be having a non-gluten reaction to the mold inhibitor.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

I edited my post to reflect a phone conversation I just had with a lady at Kraft.

I also happen to have a package of Cracker Barrel Cheese here and I see the mold inhibitor on the label, but nowhere on it is there any mention of gluten.

Kraft Foods--800-634-1984
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

I edited my post to reflect a phone conversation I just had with a lady at Kraft.

I also happen to have a package of Cracker Barrel Cheese here and I see the mold inhibitor on the label, but nowhere on it is there any mention of gluten.

Kraft Foods--800-634-1984

If you check the other Kraft cheeses - you will see that they do not add the mold inhibitor - and the cheese I bought from Publix markets (USA) say all their cheese products are gluten free and no mold inhibtor is listed as an ingredient.

But regardless of whether mold inhibitor is or is not gluten free - those who used to eat Udi's bread and who did not have a problem previous - seem to now - and the newest ingredient is the mold inhibitor. For some reason, many with gluten intolerance seem to be intolerant to the mold inhibitor as well.

This is the link I have listing Kraft's gluten free products. It is not the U.S. link but the one from Austrailia. I did check the U.S. site and Patti, you are correct - there is no gluten food list there. I called up Kraft and they did say standards are different as well as ingredients from one continent to another....
http://www.kraft.com...reeproducts.htm

#8 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

I so wish Udi's would find something else to use as a "mold inhibitor." My family can eat Udi's but I can't because the mold inhibitor contains HFCS. :( You might have a corn sensitivity or one to corn sweeteners?

#9 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I've never heard of such a thing, interesting! I react strongly to Udi's, as did my non-celiac gluten devouring finacee (which was weird) however, I've never had an issue with cheese. I just think it might be a tad too much xanathan gum for my system!

#10 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

For very sensitive people having trouble with cheeses, try switching to organic cheeses.

here is the wiki on natamycin, which inhibits mold and fungus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natamycin

I have only sniffed the Udi's, (don't laugh too hard :P ) and fed it to my husband and asked him if he thought it was bread - like.

I think I tried the bagels before they added the mold inhibitor, thought, okay, eh, white bread, and went back to baking with the higher protein stuff. If I have to have a bagel there's either Kinnickinick, or the drive to the gluten free bakery where if I must wreck myself on calories at least it was on something really great.

#11 canadave

canadave

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I've never heard of such a thing, interesting! I react strongly to Udi's, as did my non-celiac gluten devouring finacee (which was weird) however, I've never had an issue with cheese. I just think it might be a tad too much xanathan gum for my system!

I've had issues with all Kraft cheese that contain natamycin. I can only tolerate cheeses that don't have that ingredient.

#12 BrookeT

BrookeT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I recommend trying Rudi's gluten free bread. I used to eat Udi's until I tried Rudi's. I like the gluten-free multi-grain bread. They also make a cinnamon raisin and a white bread as well. It tastes just like regular bread and doesn't have any strange smell or aftertaste. It is delicious & certified gluten free. It does not contain any natamycin. (At least the multi-grain one doesn't. I haven't tried the other flavors yet.) Just make sure you choose the gluten free version (made in a dedicated faclity) as they make a regular gluten containing bread as well. I get mine at my regular grocery store or Sprouts in the frozen section.

#13 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I have not seen it here in Florida - but will keep looking - I will check and see if there is a product locator.

Thanks.

#14 BrookeT

BrookeT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

You could also maybe ask your store if that's something they could order for you.

I have not seen it here in Florida - but will keep looking - I will check and see if there is a product locator.

Thanks.

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

I do fine with the white bread but the Multi grain is a no go because of the flax in it. Grateful for that as my Wegmans has their breads on sale this week for about $3.50. I will say it isn't very filling though I like the 'italian' bread type crust.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: