2 replies to this topic

#1 GFshay

GFshay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

I've been using Nasonex for my bad sinus allergies and it's a dream. However, my insurance doesn't cover prescriptions and it costs about $90 even with discounts and coupons from the pharmacy & manufacturer. So my doctor said we can try Flonase instead. Without thinking, my pharmacy gave me the generic: Fluticasone Propionate by Roxane. The pharmacist acted like he checked whether it was gluten free, but I'm not confident he really did anything legitimate to find out.

I called the manufacturer and they had a recording saying they don't offer information on any of their ingredients or production. Ick.

Has anyone tried Flonase generic by Roxane? I'm tempted to give it a try, but I'd hate to start reacting because of something so silly.

The ingredients don't look suspect to me, but I'm still learning. Here they are:
active ingredient: fluticasone propionate
inactive: .02% w/w benzalkonium chloride, dextrose, microcrystalline cellulose and carboxymethylcellulose sodium, 0.25% w/w/ phenylethyl alcohol, and polysorbate 80 nd has a pH between 5 and 7.

Please help!
Positive blood test on several indicators Aug '10
Visual damage seen via endoscopy Oct '10
Diagnosed Celiac with "3B" damage via positive biopsy Oct '10

Gluten Free since 10/9/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFRPH

GFRPH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

I've been using Nasonex for my bad sinus allergies and it's a dream. However, my insurance doesn't cover prescriptions and it costs about $90 even with discounts and coupons from the pharmacy & manufacturer. So my doctor said we can try Flonase instead. Without thinking, my pharmacy gave me the generic: Fluticasone Propionate by Roxane. The pharmacist acted like he checked whether it was gluten free, but I'm not confident he really did anything legitimate to find out.

I called the manufacturer and they had a recording saying they don't offer information on any of their ingredients or production. Ick.

Has anyone tried Flonase generic by Roxane? I'm tempted to give it a try, but I'd hate to start reacting because of something so silly.

The ingredients don't look suspect to me, but I'm still learning. Here they are:
active ingredient: fluticasone propionate
inactive: .02% w/w benzalkonium chloride, dextrose, microcrystalline cellulose and carboxymethylcellulose sodium, 0.25% w/w/ phenylethyl alcohol, and polysorbate 80 nd has a pH between 5 and 7.

Please help!

Those ingredients look fine. There was some controversy a while ago because another manufacturer of generic Flonase claimed that their product was not gluten free. However, their statement was based on erroneous information. Www.glutenfreedrugs.com is a great resource for these questions. The site administrator has said that he has not found an aerosol/spray medication that did contain gluten. By the way, I'm not affiliated with the website in any way...just another pharmacist with Celiac disease who appreciates the website.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've used it with no problems. I prefer Nasacort AQ, though.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: