22 replies to this topic

#16 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:16 AM

PS saccharine is not banned at this point in time. I can still buy (or did last year) diet tonic water using saccharine. It is less harmful to me than aspartame or splenda.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

Yeah...it's true that there's no nutritional value or any health value to drinking soda...but it's just one of those things that the current world has embraced. There's a minimal value to eating cookies (gluten-free or not), cakes, etc., but we eat them just because they're...well, typical of our society and because we have come to like the taste.

If you eliminate soda, that's all the better--but remember that there are plenty of things that aren't good for us...and artificial sweeteners may cause cancer, but excessive fat may cause high blood pressure and heart attack and stuff, and excessive cholesterol is dangerous, as well... everything in moderation. I don't think an OCCASIONAL soda is going to be terribly detrimental to your health, but it's all about moderation.

#18 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

it's all about moderation.

EXACTLY!! Too much of anything will be detrimental. As my biology teacher used to say, " Everything in moderation, NOTHING in excess"
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#19 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:49 PM

i hated biology, but at least i barely pulled off an A..

i really should lay off the soda :o drink it a lot

#20 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:25 PM

If you eliminate soda, that's all the better--but remember that there are plenty of things that aren't good for us...and artificial sweeteners may cause cancer, but excessive fat may cause high blood pressure and heart attack and stuff, and excessive cholesterol is dangerous, as well... everything in moderation. I don't think an OCCASIONAL soda is going to be terribly detrimental to your health, but it's all about moderation.

I agree

Personally, I think that the typical north american diet is causing a lot of the devastating diseases that we see today like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, ect. People don't eat things in moderation and don't eat right, which results in health problems. I mean humans aren't suppossed to live on hamburgers, pizza, and battered food covered in grease... and that's what a lot of people do, I know a few ;) One or two of these foods a week would probably be ok, but not every day!

i hated biology

:o I'm the complete opposite! I loved it so much I majored in it :lol:
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#21 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

Well it wasn't the class, it was the teacher. I had him during the period that was extra long (two hours). He gave us lectures the entire class. But biology is an interesting subject.

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:48 AM

:o I'm the complete opposite! I loved it so much I majored in it :lol:

I loved biology too. I had the best teacher in high school. Since I am majoring in dietetics I have alot of that to study too.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#23 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

Well it wasn't the class, it was the teacher. I had him during the period that was extra long (two hours). He gave us lectures the entire class. But biology is an interesting subject.

Oh that is quite understandable, I dislike it when teachers make classes boring.

Since I am majoring in dietetics I have alot of that to study too.

Lucky you! I think you are going to love that job! After being diagnosed, I sometimes wish that I had of went that route in my undergrad. Nutrition and diet are just so interesting! I'm actually considering applying to do a PhD in a nutrition related field after I finish my masters. I'm just not sure if I can handle another 3 years of school!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: