13 replies to this topic

#1 aeryn

aeryn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

I ate Philadelphia's Vegetable Cream Cheese on celery sticks and snap peas and had stomach pains after. I haven't reacted to other Philadelphia products - has anyone else ever had issues with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 starrytrekchic

starrytrekchic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Kraft generally declares if their food has gluten, and they don't say anything about it on the website here: http://www.kraftreci...duct=2100061292 but it does have natural flavors in it, which is something you should always check.

Here's Kraft's certified gluten free list. Unless it falls under one of the categories, it's not on there: http://www.kraft.com...reeProducts.htm

#3 aeryn

aeryn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

I hadn't checked Kraft's website for a gluten free list - I honestly didn't think of it for cream cheese, since I hadn't reacted to others. What's interesting is I also use their Honey Nut cream cheese, which isn't on that gluten free list, but I don't react to it. I'll just have to be more careful with their products I guess.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Kraft generally declares if their food has gluten, and they don't say anything about it on the website here: http://www.kraftreci...duct=2100061292 but it does have natural flavors in it, which is something you should always check.

Here's Kraft's certified gluten free list. Unless it falls under one of the categories, it's not on there: http://www.kraft.com...reeProducts.htm

In the US Kraft does not put out a gluten free list. The link posted is for Australia. However Kraft is a pretty good company for labeling and will put any gluten containing ingredients clearly on the label.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

I ate Philadelphia's Vegetable Cream Cheese on celery sticks and snap peas and had stomach pains after. I haven't reacted to other Philadelphia products - has anyone else ever had issues with this?

Philadelphia Cream Cheese varities from Kraft are a staple at our house ( I know cream cheese shouldn't be a staple::)) But we use it in a lot of recipes, dips, etc. We have never had any problems and are very sensitive to CC. Good luck.

#6 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

I use a variety of flavors as well and have never had an issue. Do you have anyone in your house who eats gluten? Maybe they dipped a gluten product in your cream cheese? Its happened to me!

#7 aeryn

aeryn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

I live alone, so it's just me. I even bought a new package of it to confirm that it was what was bothering me and not something else

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

Never had a problem with any cream cheese.

richard

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

Maybe it isn't gluten. Is it possible that you have a problem with casein? Do you react to other cheeses?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Boyd

Boyd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

I had some Philly Cream Cheese and had exposive reaction. Then I saw it has WHEY protein listed. I think that makes it non gluten free.

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

I had some Philly Cream Cheese and had exposive reaction. Then I saw it has WHEY protein listed. I think that makes it non gluten free.

No, sorry, but whey is gluten free - it is the liquid that precipitates out from yogurt or butter (when churned) or cottage cheese. If you had an explosive reaction it could be from lactose intolerance or from casein intolerance.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Boyd

Boyd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

No, sorry, but whey is gluten free - it is the liquid that precipitates out from yogurt or butter (when churned) or cottage cheese. If you had an explosive reaction it could be from lactose intolerance or from casein intolerance.

Ok I believe you. I do have celiac disease and like most lactose too. I did take the Lactaid but something really got me after I had two types of Philly Cream Cheese. Seems that the Lactaid doesn't always work for me with cheese products, like hit or miss.. I now usually take two tabs.

I found a very good substitute for cream cheese called Mascarpone which is very tasteful. I have not had troubles with this and it is listed as gluten-free online.. :-)

#13 Boyd

Boyd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Just to add it was a Philly Creame Cheese with spinach and aricoke.

#14 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Just to add it was a Philly Creame Cheese with spinach and aricoke.

I have an explosive reaction to spinach.

I would suggest that your reaction may be to something other than gluten.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: