This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Being Glutened Or Could It Be Something Else?

HS7474

HS7474 Apprentice

Hello!

I've been struggling for awhile with symptoms I would associate with being glutened: highly unpleasant gas and extreme bloating. However, I eat pretty much the same things every day and have verified over and over again that they are gluten free.

One thing that I do consistently that may be an issue is chew gum (sugar free). I can't find any gluten in it, though, and I have trouble believing that I could swallow so much air as to cause this much discomfort. The amount of gas and bloating varies from day to day.

I'm wondering if perhaps a certain brand of gum may be the problem? Or perhaps the artificial sweeteners? One big issue I have is that I seem to be addicted to chewing the gum. If I stop chewing gum I think about food and over eat. As a result, I love gum and haven't been able to come up with a low/calorie free substitute. If anyone feels that my gum chewing may be the issue, a suggestion to replace it would be absolutely wonderful.

A typical day of food for me would be:

-gluten-free cereal, banana, vanilla soymilk or nestle sugar free instant breakfast for a first meal

-An apple or some other fruit for lunch

-Baked potato, cheese, and steamed veggies with onion powder and garlic powder for dinner

I eat a bunch of steamed veggies (poke holes in the bag and steam it in the microwave) as well as potato.

Many of the products I eat are Wegmans brand and (thank you so much, Weggies!) they are labled gluten free. I really have no idea what's causing me so much disomfort.

I had a biopsy done and show nothing irregular, including no celiac disease as I've been eating gluten free.

I never had a positive biopsy done as I was only diagnosed through blood testing. I've been eating gluten-free since November 2008. I was wondering if perhaps I have an intolerance to something else instead of gluten.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to get extremely discouraged and would love to be able to get rid of these embarassing symptoms!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am very sensitive to low levels of gluten and can't tolerate much in the way of processed foods. Early on, when I wasn't quite so sensitive, I wasn't able to find a gluten free cereal which I could tolerate. Soy could be a problem, as well as the instant breakfast. Why don't you try avoiding those three things for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I got more sensitive over time, and that might be happening to you too. I hope it helps you. Gas can be embarrassing.

hnybny91 Rookie

It could very well be the sugar free gum. I, at one point, was chewing an entire pack of extra gum a day (17 sticks!) and had the most horrible diarrhea and really heavy menstrual cycles. Oddly enough, I would only chew the gum during the week when I was at work (must have been a stress thing) and would feel better on the weekends when I didn't chew any gum. I started to reasearch atrifical sweetners and was horrified by what I read. I aviod all artificial sweetners like the plague now. I have found a great gum with a natural sweetner called Spry gum. It is also gluten free. I get it at Sprouts.

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, sorbitol, xylitol, and the other sugar substitutes can do this. For a substitute, may I suggest lots of water? It will keep your mouth occupied and your stomach fuller. Americans often don't drink enough so our bodies send a "hunger" signal to trick us into eating more so we can get a little water from the moisture in the food! Crazy, huh? Drink more and the hunger will go away. Eight 8 oz glasses is a bare minimum. In the winter dryness you will need much more water. If you don't like plain water, add a squeeze of lemon or sip your favorite herbal tea.

If it isn't the gum, try looking into fructose malabsorption. I'm at work and don't have the usual link on the low FODMAP diet I offer people. Maybe someone else has one handy.

FM is much like lactose intolerance, where fructose isn't absorbed right, so intestinal bacterial turn it into gas and you get bloating, flatulence, and often D. The apple and possibly some of the veggies would be the triggering foods. I'm not sure bananas work well with fructose malabsorption either.

staciesangels5 Rookie

I would agree with the artificial sweeteners. They can really reak havoc on ypur system. I also agree on more water. They say that if you are hungry within 2 hours of eating you need water. That is your body's way of telling you it needs something..they also say that if you feel thirsty that you are already getting dehydrated. The usual water intake is your body weight divided by 2, whatever the answer is, is how many oz. Of water you should be drinkning in 24hrs..ex..120lbs/2=60oz. I have found that since I hate water to drink in general that if I pick up say an ice mountian sport bottle with the flip top I can take it with me and I am more apt to drink it because I do like the water from my fridge.

On a side note do you eat any of the grains quinoa, amaranth, millet or buckwheat?

T.H. Community Regular

I'd second the possibility of your gluten free foods having too much gluten for you - gluten free just means it has levels that fall somewhere below 20ppm of gluten, usually. That's too much for some people. Or if you eat a lot of them, they can add up to too much for your daily intake.

Also, some people have trouble with fructose malabsorption - long list of foods that are better for that.

Or problems with xanthan gum, guar gum, etc... You'd get more exposure to this on a gluten-free diet, typically, and it tends to cause gut issues.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The amount of calories you are going to get from a sugared gum are very low. If you must chew gum just go with the sugared.

Also be sure to check and make sure the intant breakfast you are drinking is gluten free as not all of them are.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Jannette
    Newest Member
    Jannette
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.