Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can I Buy Liver?

12 posts in this topic

I suppose the butcher's is too "gluteny" to order liver from them. So if not them who? Where should I turn to get some liver?

Ads by Google:

Why would the butcher's be too "gluteny"????? Meats (all that are just plain meat) do not have gluten. The butcher's is probably one of the safest places around! That's a very good place to get your liver!

Why would the butcher's be too "gluteny"????? Meats (all that are just plain meat) do not have gluten. The butcher's is probably one of the safest places around! That's a very good place to get your liver!

I thought, that at the market, because the butchers also deal with "pre-seasoned meats" and such that there are CC issues?

I thought, that at the market, because the butchers also deal with "pre-seasoned meats" and such that there are CC issues?

I can't imagine a significant amount of CC in a package of liver at the butcher. Out of curiosity where have you been buying meat that feels safer than a butcher?

To be a little more specific..... Butchers, for many health reasons, unrelated to gluten CC (sanitary and disease related), practice some of the most diligent processes in cleaning their tables, knives, etc. They mostly don't use butcher block wood anymore as that harbors meat residue and grows bacteria. Instead they mostly use stainless steel tables. Most pre-seasoned meat comes pre-packaged and butchers don't put it on their table - and only supermarket and places like COSTCO's butcher shops would have pre-seasoned meats anyway. Most pre-seasoned meats don't contain gluten either. If you watch them, to avoid cross contamination between different types of meats, they laboriously clean their tables between each cutting - and larger market butchers have multiple tables so that they don't do chicken and beef and pork on the same tables. The slicers are cleaned frequently as are the hamburger grinders.

I still say that getting meat directly from a butcher shop is probably the safest place to get meat. And liver doesn't require much butcher preparations to sell either. The most important thing about liver is that is is very fresh and kept cold.

I can't imagine a significant amount of CC in a package of liver at the butcher. Out of curiosity where have you been buying meat that feels safer than a butcher?

I just buy meat pre-packaged from the supermarket (away from the butcher's counter)where it is not immediately butchered before me.

I have seen liver for sale in the freezer section where thye have other frozen meats. It was in a small box but I have also seen it sold in plastic containers.

You can always wash it off before you cook it if you want to. I do that.

So I'm guessing the butcher's counter at vons is perfectly gluten free?

The only thing I know of in the meat dept. that might contain gluten is the imitation Krabmeat.

So I'm guessing the butcher's counter at vons is perfectly gluten free?

I sure don't worry about it!

I don't hesitate to buy liver. It's nothing to worry about -- at least not gluten-wise. Cholesterol is another matter, but liver is just so yummy!!!