Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long After Going Gluten Free Should It Stop?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 HopefulMama23

HopefulMama23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

How long after giving up gluten should the diarrhea stop? I've been off it for 5 days, still wake up in the morning with soft stool or diarrhea, although bloating is gone and stools have changed from green to brown (I'm sorry, I know that's gross). Is this normal? Should it have stopped by now?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Are you eating dairy? If you are, I would stop that for a while and see if it helps.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 HopefulMama23

HopefulMama23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

I did stop dairy too, and soy, a few days after I stopped gluten. I'm also taking some probiotics to try and help heal my gut. I don't have stomach pain any more, just the soft, loose stools. I get so defeated every morning when I wake up and still have them!

#4 Happyw5

Happyw5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

I have been off for five days as well, and I have the same problem. I don't go as often, but when I go it is still soft, or diarrhea. My stomach pain is gone and I feel better. I wonder if I am still getting gluten with out knowing it! Is microwave popcorn a problem?

#5 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

I think this is a very individual thing - and also once you know you have either a gluten sensitivity or celiac - you may find that you have developed other sensitivities as well. I know that after my first flare up, I no longer could eat corn chips, potatoes, soy, grains of any kind, nightshade vegetables - potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers, dairy, high fructose, carrots and other green vegetables. This was in September. Now in January, I still do have many of the sensitivities that developed after the initial flareup - BUT I can now eat my rice chex cereal (gluten free), and have added back some of the green vegetables I could not tolerate. It just takes time and patience. For me, the flare up happened after many years of abusing my body with gluten, cafeine and Splenda. I no longer ingest cafeine, Splenda or gluten. I really now am beginning to feel good - but it did take time. I no longer have the diarrhea and/or soft stools (after having it for a good 3+ months)and sometimes it even alternates now with constipation - which at least gives my intestinal track a rest!

#6 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

I had the same problem, but mine lasted weeks. I found that eating white rice helped and watching my ratio of green veggies to meat/starch. Even then it just took a while. I've been on the diet just over 3 months now and have only been what I'd call "normal" for the last 3 weeks. It's also coincided with feeling a great deal better & having some of my food sensitivities diminish. I can eat small amounts of cheese now and I was having big problems with dairy at first. I ate chocolate (with soy lecithin and dairy) and was fine. The latest is that I can eat Mission corn chips (they have dedicated lines in mfr'g) and I'm fine. I had to give up dairy, corn & soy. Now soybean oil is still a No-No but I think I've always been somewhat allergic to it even when I was healthier.

Once you root out your sensitivites, I think it's just a matter of time for the intestines to start healing. I find it interesting that my bowel disturbances clearing coincided with being able to reintroduce the items successfully. It speaks to the advice you get so often to eat a whole foods diet for a while & let your intestines heal.

Hang in there,

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

Everybody is different. I felt a little better after a few days but it took me about ten days on my elimination diet for the D to stop. I was eating nothing but lamb, rice, and lettuce. (I was looking for food allergies. Hah!)

#8 HopefulMama23

HopefulMama23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies!! I guess I'm not sure what I should eat anymore. Here's what I am eating and thinking is safe: fruit, veggies, rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, nuts, eggs, meat, fish, beans. I gave up dair and soy too yesterday- hopefully these are temporary though. Any input? What is a good safe diet to start out with and heal on?

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the replies!! I guess I'm not sure what I should eat anymore. Here's what I am eating and thinking is safe: fruit, veggies, rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, nuts, eggs, meat, fish, beans. I gave up dair and soy too yesterday- hopefully these are temporary though. Any input? What is a good safe diet to start out with and heal on?

Sounds good to me. Do you have Mission brand tortillas available? They are made on a dedicated line, so there is less chance of CC with flour tortillas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: