This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For Doc In Nyc

lushgreen

lushgreen Apprentice

Can anyone recommend a good gastroenterologist in NYC to make a celiac disease/gluten sensitivity diagnosis (or rule it out)?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Here are a few topics regarding doctors in New York. Hopefully these can help you find a good doctor. I am in California, so I have no personal experience with any of them.

Open Original Shared Link

God bless,

Mariann

lushgreen Apprentice

Thanks! I had seen some of these posts but not all. I will try calling the CDC at Columbia again but was wondering if there was someone that could recommend a specific GI doctor besides Peter Green at CDCwho I would love to consult of course, but unfortunately cannot afford.

But thanks for looking up those posts for me. Will keep looking!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Also, if you go to the homepage of this website and scroll down there is a link to recommended doctors by other celiacs. You can look at all the ones in your state too.

irish Contributor

Hi! I go to Dr. Lewis at Columbia Hospital. I have been going to her for over a year. If you need her phone number or other information. You can e-mail me.

Loretta

celiachap Apprentice

If you can go to Brooklyn:

It's near the "Q" or "B" train.

lushgreen Apprentice

KaitiUSA, Loretta, celiachap, thanks to all of you for responding. I am going to try Dr. Lewis at Columbia which is close to where I live (Loretta, I may email you about questions) and if that doesn't work, maybe Brooklyn! Is that who you see celiachap?

Thanks again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiachap Apprentice

Yes, and they have the newest technologies in their diagnostic equipment – better, from what I understand, than many major hospitals. It’s a state-of-the-art facility, with a very pleasant staff and atmosphere. Sometimes there’s a wait to see the doctor, like everywhere. The day of my "procedure" however, everything went great.

When I had my endoscope/biopsy, the Dr. and anesthesiologist told me, when I woke up, that they saw the flat villi – and the lab results to confirm Celiac came back a few days later.

lushgreen Apprentice

celiachap,

My insurance coverage is lousy (am a grad student), so was wondering - are they expensive, at Columbia. I know Dr. Green is.

lushgreen Apprentice

Well I called up Columbia today and they provide services post-diagnosis only. Can any doctor make the referral for the bloodwork? Are they knowledgeable enough about celiac disease to know which tests to order?

lushgreen Apprentice

I was misinformed the first time I called Columbia - I now have an appointment with Dr. Lee at the Celiac Disease Center in a couple of weeks for the diagnostic workup. Thanks for all the input.

bklyn Enthusiast

Lushgreen,

I saw Dr. Suzi Lee at Columbia and she was great. Actually, she called me today to check on me. Not too many Drs. do that.

lushgreen Apprentice

Hi Kathy, it is good to hear that about her. Did she give you the diagnosis? Any tips on what to expect in the first meeting?

bklyn Enthusiast

Lushgreen,

No, I was diagnosed here in Florida. I brought all my medical records and biopsy slide with me. I decided to go there because after being gluten-free for several months, I am having stomach pain/nausea. Dr. Lee thought I was doing well with the gluten-free diet (because my TTG # had come way down. She agreed with my Dr. in Florida that I was probably having stomach problems from gastritis/acid and prescibed Nexium. I also saw Anne Lee (dietitian). When Dr. Lee called me the other day, I told her I still was feeling the same and just taking Zantac150 as needed. I may have a capsule endoscopy which my Florida Dr. has suggested. Sometimes there just isn't an answer to problem. I think going to Columbia is a good idea. I wanted an opinion from the experts. I originally wanted to see Dr. Green but I would have had to wait several months for an appointment. Good luck.

P.S. I didn't have any tests done because I had already been diagnosed, but I know someone else who had all of the testing done there.

• 2 weeks later...
sarah513 Rookie

I just went to Dr. Marcus Blechman on 15th St. and was pretty happy. He was the first doctor I’ve been to since my celiac disease began who actually knew what he was talking about! I’ve been through this routine where I tell the doctor I have celiac disease, they say, “Really? Wow! Wait here!” and then they disappear for a while, Google it, and bring me a two-page printout on the gluten-free diet. Ugh. So to have someone tell me things I didn’t know, order vitamin deficiency and bone density tests, and ask questions no one else thought to ask… pretty huge. He referred me to the celiac disease Center at Columbia for a nutritionist, but my insurance won’t cover it so I’m trying to figure out how much that will cost. I’ve only been once, and that was yesterday, but I have to say I’m impressed so far. Oh, and the receptionist was super nice and turned out to live a block away from me in Queens!

irish Contributor

Sarah, I go to the nutritionist at Columbia, she is very knowledge. I have been going to her for over a year. I forget what her initial charge was but when you go back it will be $75.00. You can e-mail me if you need more information you can

e-mail me. I will gladly help you.

Loretta

lushgreen Apprentice

sarah, thanks for the reco for a GI - he sounds good! i've tested negative for celiac on bloodwork but maybe he can help me figure out what then is going on with all my GI symptoms.

and irish, that's good information to have about Lee's follow-up charges - she may actually be affordable. do you know if she sees only celiac patients? i think i may have gluten sensitivity and/or other intolerances.

sammystar Newbie

Lushgreen, I think that I may have Celiac Disease. I'm new to all of this and would like to get tested. I read your last posts, I too am in NYC and thought I might go to the Columbia Center. I am also on a tight budget and wondered, seeing as you have already gone through this, if you could give me an idea of what the initial consultation and testing costs were. Do you think some insurances cover this? What should I expect when I call and go on my first visit. Thanks for any information at all. There is so much to read and learn now that I suspect I may have GI, it's mind boggling.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I actually just went to the nutritionist at Columbia. She was great and really helpful (and she lives in my area which was even more helpful). It was $150, but there didn't seem to be any time limit. I spent 2 hours with her and she certainly wasn't kicking me out. Even though I had done a ton of research and already knew a lot of what she told me; it was still well worth the money.

lushgreen Apprentice

hi sammystar - i ended up not going to columbia. i needed to see an internist for other problems anyway and could not afford to see both her as well as a gastro so she ended up running the celiac blood tests for me (which turned out to be negative). but what i found out was that dr. green, the head of the center, charges around $400 and dr. suzie lee with whom i had an appt charges around $300-400. you should look at the threads i've posted on to get the names of those members who have had experience being treated there. my impression is that insurance would cover some of this but you should check with your plan.

another poster recently recommended a dr. blechman (at union square) and i have decided to see him for my GI issues. i was most pleasantly surprised to find that his charges were very reasonable - $125.

jkmunchkin - you may or may not be able to answer this question - did the nutritionist seem to know about other food intolerances and allergies or was she limited to gluten intolerance. i tested negative for celiac but think i may have other stuff going on that may involve dietary restrictions and so was considering consulting her - any idea?

thanks.

sammystar Newbie

Just for anyone in the future who would like to know. I called the Columbia Center and the first available appointment for Dr. Green is October, they're pretty busy. So call as soon as you know you want to go, it'll take a while to get an appointment. Also the only insurance Dr. Green takes is the Oxford Freedom Plan, which thank goodness I have, other wise it can be quite expensive.

Archived