Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

A Couple Of Days Of Disappointments

11 posts in this topic

I went to the grocery store a couple of days ago, and found tortillas by TIFCO that appeared to be gluten-free. (They make the tortilla chips that I love!) So I eagerly bought them. When I went to eat one .... I couldn't finish it. It was so BAD-tasting that I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

*sigh*

This morning, I tried Bob's Red Mill buckwheat hot cereal, as a former oatmeal-lover who was missing hot cereal. So very, very bad. I couldn't finish it. Drowning it in milk and brown sugar did not disguise the taste at all.

So I'm very sad. I'm not sure which is worse - probably the buckwheat, as it cost more.

Does anyone know of a different oatmeal-replacement? Another grain, perhaps, with a less-strong flavour? If I dump anymore brown sugar on this cereal it's not longer going to be a "healthy choice." Arg!

Ads by Google:

Grits or polenta and I have also found cream of rice.

Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot cereal is a blend of grains and not strong tasting IMO. The corn and sorghum in it are mild and sweet. There are instant certified gluten-free oats packets available.

I prefer cream of rice or grits. I also have quinoa flakes that are pretty good. I don't love the texture but the taste is ok. You could try gluten free oats and see how well you tolerate them.

I go with Pocono Cream of Buckwheat, it has a creamy texture and very mild flavor compared with even their buckwheat 'kasha' which is more chunky and has a stronger flavor. Cream of Rice is okay also.

I second Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. It's so good with milk and fresh blueberries or strawberries. I eat this about two times a week :)

Are you unable to tolerate oats? I thought I couldn't eat them until I learned about all the wheat in regular oatmeal and tried the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. I also eat cream of rice and grits.

I like Bob's Mighty Tasty hot cereal too - just over a cup of boiling water, stir in 1/4 cup of the stuff & simmer for 5 minutes, stir in an egg until it's cooked & add dried cranberries & walnuts....mmmm..... :D

I like Arrowhead Mills Organic Rice & Shine. It's a brown rice hot cereal. I usually add golden raisins to it. :)

Are you unable to tolerate oats? I thought I couldn't eat them until I learned about all the wheat in regular oatmeal and tried the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. I also eat cream of rice and grits.

I actually don't know about oats. I haven't had them since going gluten-free 7 months ago. I've heard about the gluten-free ones but I haven't seen them. The local stores carry Bob's Red Mill products (that's where I got the buckwheat) but I don't know if they don't carry the gluten-free oats or I just haven't seen them. I'll take another look.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I certainly miss hot cereal, and would love to find one that didn't taste like tree bark. (Yes, I do eat a lot of tree bark, thanks for asking ... :P)

Considering what this nasty buckwheat cost me, I'm still going to have to use it up though. Does it have any other uses? Can I used it as a rice side dish and load it with spices? Can I put it in soup? If I make it for breakfast and smother it in jam, can I still feel good about it being "healthy" ???!!

I like Arrowhead Mills Organic Rice & Shine. It's a brown rice hot cereal. I usually add golden raisins to it. :)

Does anyone know where you can find Rice and Shine??? I have heard great things and I too miss my morning oatmeal. I live in Southern Ontario, but do visit the States occassionally. Also, does anyone know if they cell Rice Chex in Canada?

Thanks!