10 replies to this topic

#1 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

I went to the grocery store a couple of days ago, and found tortillas by TIFCO that appeared to be gluten-free. (They make the tortilla chips that I love!) So I eagerly bought them. When I went to eat one .... I couldn't finish it. It was so BAD-tasting that I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

*sigh*

This morning, I tried Bob's Red Mill buckwheat hot cereal, as a former oatmeal-lover who was missing hot cereal. So very, very bad. I couldn't finish it. Drowning it in milk and brown sugar did not disguise the taste at all.

So I'm very sad. I'm not sure which is worse - probably the buckwheat, as it cost more.

Does anyone know of a different oatmeal-replacement? Another grain, perhaps, with a less-strong flavour? If I dump anymore brown sugar on this cereal it's not longer going to be a "healthy choice." Arg!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:48 AM

Grits or polenta and I have also found cream of rice.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot cereal is a blend of grains and not strong tasting IMO. The corn and sorghum in it are mild and sweet. There are instant certified gluten-free oats packets available.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I prefer cream of rice or grits. I also have quinoa flakes that are pretty good. I don't love the texture but the taste is ok. You could try gluten free oats and see how well you tolerate them.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

I go with Pocono Cream of Buckwheat, it has a creamy texture and very mild flavor compared with even their buckwheat 'kasha' which is more chunky and has a stronger flavor. Cream of Rice is okay also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

I second Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. It's so good with milk and fresh blueberries or strawberries. I eat this about two times a week :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Are you unable to tolerate oats? I thought I couldn't eat them until I learned about all the wheat in regular oatmeal and tried the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. I also eat cream of rice and grits.

#8 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

I like Bob's Mighty Tasty hot cereal too - just over a cup of boiling water, stir in 1/4 cup of the stuff & simmer for 5 minutes, stir in an egg until it's cooked & add dried cranberries & walnuts....mmmm..... :D

#9 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

I like Arrowhead Mills Organic Rice & Shine. It's a brown rice hot cereal. I usually add golden raisins to it. :)
Gluten Free since 2010

#10 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Are you unable to tolerate oats? I thought I couldn't eat them until I learned about all the wheat in regular oatmeal and tried the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. I also eat cream of rice and grits.

I actually don't know about oats. I haven't had them since going gluten-free 7 months ago. I've heard about the gluten-free ones but I haven't seen them. The local stores carry Bob's Red Mill products (that's where I got the buckwheat) but I don't know if they don't carry the gluten-free oats or I just haven't seen them. I'll take another look.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I certainly miss hot cereal, and would love to find one that didn't taste like tree bark. (Yes, I do eat a lot of tree bark, thanks for asking ... :P)

Considering what this nasty buckwheat cost me, I'm still going to have to use it up though. Does it have any other uses? Can I used it as a rice side dish and load it with spices? Can I put it in soup? If I make it for breakfast and smother it in jam, can I still feel good about it being "healthy" ???!!

#11 amy2011

amy2011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

I like Arrowhead Mills Organic Rice & Shine. It's a brown rice hot cereal. I usually add golden raisins to it. :)

Does anyone know where you can find Rice and Shine??? I have heard great things and I too miss my morning oatmeal. I live in Southern Ontario, but do visit the States occassionally. Also, does anyone know if they cell Rice Chex in Canada?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: