13 replies to this topic

#1 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I am new to the Celiac Disease journey and I am wondering how people branch out for support. Do you find local support groups, go online such as this forum, family and friends? How did you begin your new life? I must admit I am very overwhelmed and not sure what avenues to use.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

I'm in WA state. Where are you at? If you want to chat, pm me and I'll give you my contact info.

We started going to a support group 5 years ago, but I didn't find it overly helpful. This forum has been an invaluable resource to me!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm in WA state. Where are you at? If you want to chat, pm me and I'll give you my contact info.

We started going to a support group 5 years ago, but I didn't find it overly helpful. This forum has been an invaluable resource to me!

I am in Bellingham. Kind of up here...haha I just found this forum yesterday or the day before. I love it so far and I am thrilled to have found sooooo many answers to so many questions I have.

In weeks time, I will begin another whole ballgame. I have more chemical testing to get done at Swedish :(

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

I am in Bellingham. Kind of up here...haha I just found this forum yesterday or the day before. I love it so far and I am thrilled to have found sooooo many answers to so many questions I have.

In weeks time, I will begin another whole ballgame. I have more chemical testing to get done at Swedish :(

I'm in Seattle. However, there is a fantastic support group which meets in Bellingham. See http://www.glutenfreeway.info The leader is Kelle Rankin-Sunter. The website will give you info about support group meetings.

Also the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America is located in Auburn. Contact them at http://www.gluten.net for questions you might have about the gluten free diet or gluten intolerance.

SUE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm in Seattle. I've gotten, and still get, most of my info and support from this forum.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thank you everyone.

I will also check out the web link and the support group that was suggested. :D

#7 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, I'm near Portland. Why doesn't anyone move down here? <stomping feet> :P

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

My fab friends are moving to Portland. He'll be teaching at Reed College.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

My fab friends are moving to Portland. He'll be teaching at Reed College.

Cool! Maybe we can meet for drinks or something... You should come down and visit too!! Feel free to bring a guest.... ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

#10 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Cool! Maybe we can meet for drinks or something... You should come down and visit too!! Feel free to bring a guest.... ;)

awwwwwww, LOVE the Oregon Coast. Heaven to me!!!

One of my good friends lives in Vancouver, WA.

#11 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

One of my good friends lives in Vancouver, WA.

That's where I'm at!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

#12 Financialman

Financialman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Just wanted to say hello to those people living in Washington. I am moving to the Seattle area in May, 2011 and will be looking for a support group to join. I am not sure where I will be living just yet so if anyone has any ideas of a couple of support groups I would appreciate it. :)
Financialman

#13 Newsy

Newsy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the world of the gluten-free, but my mom was diagnosed with Celiac disease 30 years ago (so I'm not a complete dummy :)

I just wanted to put the bug in your ear about visiting Seattle soon...I may be traveling to Seattle in the next few months. My son and his girlfriend moved there a few months ago and said I should live there because of all the "gluten-free" places they have noticed!

Once I get up there tho (I'm in the KC area), I'd like to make contact with a few people about where to eat, or possibly meeting people.

Thanks so much!

NN

#14 Financialman

Financialman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

NewsyNanette,

I was just visiting my son in Seattle this past August 2010. There is absolutely no problem in finding gluten free food or restaurants. Seattle is miles ahead of most parts of the country when it comes to Celiacs disease and gluten intolerences. I spent a week their and every restaurant I ate in was knowledgeable and accomodating. I like Seattle so much that I am moving there in May 2011. I think it is a great place for someone with Celiac Disease because of the attitude and knowledge of the people there. You will love it!
Financialman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: