5 replies to this topic

#1 pdx.lila

pdx.lila

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

For the first 20 years of my life, until I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago I was a vegetarian. Since going gluten free I have also started eating meat. I've found that I really enjoy seafood and beef but will eat chicken (and occasionally pork). I already eat a decent amount of protein - tofu & beans but I'm trying to lose 20 lbs as well as get used to eating meat regularly. Any and all recipes are welcome, especially if they are also casein/dairy free! I'd especially like spicy or really intensely flavorful recipes. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

I use my George Foreman grill almost daily. McCormick makes a seasoning blend that has cinnamon and chipolte and it is wonderful on fish, chicken and beef. I've also used it on pork roasts in the crock pot to make "carnitas" in a healthy way. With any good seasonings, that grill is my best friend :D
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Boy I hear you on this one as I used to be the Director of Marketing for the second largest all natural and organic frozen foods company. The good news was that I was surrounded with as much free food as I wanted, the bad news was that it lacked some serious protein.

So onto the recommendations! Always try to find meats that are less than double digit fat levels and always trim ALL visible fat. Here are my personal favorites:

- Beef flank steak
- Pork tenderloin
- Turkey burgers
- Boneless pork chops (cut from the loin)
- Buffalo burgers (look in the club stores)
- All natural lunch meats (in the deli)
- 92-95% lean beef patties
- Salmon patties (usually in the frozen section)
- Rack of Pork (bone in roasts)

As far as spices, no kitchen would be complete without McCormick's "Montreal Steak Seasoning".

I'm not sure where you live, but in Denver we have several boutique spice shops. If you have the same, head in there and ask for 3-4 mini jars specifically for beef, pork, and poultry. Each jar will run you less than $5 a bottle. Experiment and have fun.

The GlutenGladi8or
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#4 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

I like lamb tagines and kefta. Get grassfed lamb, and just check out one of Paula Wolfert's cookbooks from the library to get a recipe for a tagine that appeals to you.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#5 StephHappens

StephHappens

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

You could always do any type of Ka-bob (I don't think I spelled that right). That way you can get meat and veggies and try all types of dipping sauces. It's simple and healthy. You can mix it up, too. Shrimp, steak and sometimes chicken - if you feel in the mood.

#6 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

You could always do any type of Ka-bob (I don't think I spelled that right). That way you can get meat and veggies and try all types of dipping sauces. It's simple and healthy. You can mix it up, too. Shrimp, steak and sometimes chicken - if you feel in the mood.

And if you really want to give it a Mediterranean feel (Hey, that's where kabobs originated), put the skewers on a bed of rice and get some carbs as well.

Back to my posting about the spice shop, I have a bottle that I bought last year called "Mount Olympus Greek Style Seasoning". I bet that this seasoning would be a perfect compliment to any meat kabob.

Geesh... I better go get my Greek god apparel back from the dry cleaner!
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: