This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Chronic Fatigue?

CathyG

CathyG Rookie

Well since they've told me that I could have the early onset of Celiacs Disease, I've also started discussing all the other inflammation I have going on in my body. I have rib pain, mild lung pain, now a swollen throat and extreme dizzy spells (which I think is a symptom of the throat issues).

My doctor has told me that it's likely that I have chronic fatigue syndrome but is testing for other auto immune diseases just in case. So far every blood test I've had has come back fine (full blood count, iron, lft,tsh etc etc), but he wants to check a tonne of other ones such as ANA, CRP (can't remember the rest).

So, for the moment I've been given Astra 8 which is supposed to be an immune booster. I have to take that for 2 weeks and go back and see him. I'm also gluten free, lactose free, and refined sugar free. I'm working my way up to going caffeine free and soy free but I'm so tired that I just need to take this step by step for the moment.

Has anyone out there been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue? In me, the symptoms definitely fit - I'm just hoping that one day there's an end to it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I was never "diagnosed" with chronic fatigue but OMG I remember the exhaustion when I was on gluten. I would work all week and the weekend would come around and I didn't want to move a muscle I was so tired.

How long have you been gluten-free? It can take a while for the diet to "kick in".

CathyG Rookie

I've only been gluten free for about 5 days. I've decided to cut out lactose and refined sugar as well. But it's all very early days - I'm sure it'll take quite a while for my body to get used to it.

I have a number of other symptoms as well as the tiredness, but the tiredness is a killer. My biggest symptom at the moment is dizziness, which is pretty debilitating actually. I never thought dizziness was anything important till I realised that I couldn't drive a car or run my business :(

Thanks for your reply - it's interesting to see that gluten affected your energy levels so much. Hopefully after a while of a gluten free diet I may be able to gain even a small amount of energy back.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi there, i've been gluten free almost 2 years now. I' have had symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome since the age of 7. According to my rheumatologist i've had Fibromyalgia, gluten intolerance and RA since that age. I am just starting to have energy from what you would call on the scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest. I was at an 8 1/2 most of the time with the fatigue. I was low in vit d, b-12, magnesium, etc. My adrenal glands wasn't doing so well either. So, with some help from something I got at the healthfood store called Adrenal Factor, then i'm taking 5000 units of vit-b12, 5000 units of vit d, 500 mgs of magnesium, etc. Be sure to get all your vitamin levels checked and your thyroid.

I am finally starting to get my energy back. I'm about at a 3 1/2 to 4 now.

You're only about 5 days in, so it will take a while to start feeling better.

Anyway, hang in there. I hope you get to feeling better

Archived