This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have This Problem?

staciesangels5

staciesangels5 Rookie

My 12 year old daughter so far has not tested positive to any celiac tests/biopsies but has a lot of symptoms. One thing that is driving me and her nuts is that since last spring she has had recurring sores on her scalp, from about 1 inch below her hairline on her forehead all over her entire scalp she has these sores, they are red, inflamed and eventually form pustules that will pop like a pimple, bleed, scab over and eventually heal. I have asked her if they itch...she says no but I think they do to a certain degree because she is always scratching. I have not taken her to a dermatologist because they always seem to be so eager to throw a pill at it and send you on your way without trying to find out the cause.

We have tried pretty much everything, all the shampoo's available for everything from oily skin to dermatitis. Some make it worse, some seem to dry them out faster but nothing actually gets rid of it. I did ask my allergist in general conversation yesterday and he seemed to think it was a bacteria growing, like yeast or something and that a long term antibiotic would help....ummmm...no thanks, I'd rather know what it is.

So I am wondering if anyone has had this type of problem or knows of someone who has and if it is related to the gluten?? She has tested positive for a low allergy to dairy and peanuts(class 1).

All suggestions and experiences are welcome, especially since there is a 6 -8 wk wait for a consult with a dermatologist that I would even consider.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Have you ever looked at Dermatitis Herpetiformis?

It's a rash that some people with celiac disease can get. I believe it can be diagnosed with a swab of the rash?

It discusses it here:

Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

Snippet taken from Shauna's link:

Procedures

• The diagnosis is made after observing characteristic findings from skin biopsy specimens. The biopsy sample should be taken from the edge of a lesion for hematoxylin and eosin staining and from normal-appearing perilesional skin for direct immunofluorescence staining.
  • Results of direct immunofluorescence of lesional skin are often falsely negative. The vigorous immune response degrades the IgA antibody at the site. Therefore, biopsy specimens for the direct immunofluorescence studies should be taken from healthy-appearing skin.

So a biopsy is required of the skin immediately adjacent to an active lesion.

Marlie Apprentice

If you don't like the dermatologist you have seen in the past, find a new one. I'd also insist on them doing a biopsy. A couple of years ago my daughter had a bump on her scalp which I showed to numerous doctors and was told many things. Well eventually it started bleeding so I took her to the dermatologist and he said it was probably nothing to worry about and do I want it biopsied. I said you are biopsying it. Good thing I did, as it was a mole with changing cells and had the whole thing surgically removed. My point is go with your instinct and keep changing doctors until one will do further research and find out what it is whether its celiac or something else.

WheatChef Apprentice

It certainly does sound like your allergist could be right in assuming that it's a bacterial or yeast infection. Yeast infections are an unfortunately common side effect of untreated celiac disease that can last well past when the gluten has long been removed. If it is a yeast infection the unfortunate thing is that once it gets set in your system it's pretty hard to get it out without 1 or two measures. The first of which and way that many people take is to take fungicides which your dermatologist can easily prescribe. These do carry the possibility of some side effects but they are normally very effective. Alternatively yeast needs high glucose levels to survive so if you're willing to you could simply move your daughter onto a ketogenic diet. The first 2-4 weeks are normally a bit rough (for either treatment) as if the yeast is systemic you have a bunch of toxins being released into your cells by the dieing yeasts.

I went the ketogenic route myself (paleodiet) and almost a month into it, experienced a massive die off on a few parts of my body where the yeast infections finally kicked the bucket. Drink lots of water.

Cypressmyst Explorer

Put her on a Gluten Free diet for a month and see what happens. That is the best and most accurate test out there. She has to be 100% compliant though, if she is I'd wager her skin issue will clear up.

Everyone with a strange rash or skin issue that I know who has gone gluten-free has seen it go away fairly quickly afterwards. Its return is one way I know I've gotten into some gluten.

Mari Explorer

I had this type of problem for years. One time it was head lice but the other times it was not. In this area quite a few people have gotten scabies in their scalp. The easiest treatment is to use Diatomaceous Earth, a fine power which smothers the parasites. There are images of lice egg cases online, using a magnifying glass helps find them.

I searched for 'celiac skin' - here's one website

Celiac Skin Problems | LIVESTRONG.COM

Celiac Skin Problems. It can be difficult to make the connection to celiac disease celiac disease, or gluten intolerance, when rashes, bumps or lesions appear on the skin. Celiacs seem prone ...

www.livestrong.com/article/78438-celiac-skin-problems

One time I was glutened by a handful of wheat crackers. The head sores and itching came back and persisted for months. I also had itchy rough skin on my sides and back (lizard skin).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived