This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neck And Shoulder Pain About 50% Better!

possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

On day 11, I sorta noticed that maybe my neck and shoulder muscles were less tense, and that the pain was not as bad.

Each time I am out on a walk, since then, I noticed this, ans also when sitting at the computer. I noticed it yesterday night and this morning again (I'm on day 13 now) during my walk. As I am typing I am aware of it. There is much less pain and tension in my neck and shoulders.

Also, I am right about to have my period, and this is usually the very WORST time, pain-wise. Stabbing, burning pains, especially in my achilles tendons and wrists (I have carpal tunnel syndrome). Well, all that is better too!! :) NO intense inflamatory pain like I ususally get this time in my cycle! I do have some pain, but overall MUCH better.

Please tell me if it is possible or if I am imagining it. Can the inflamation from the gluten be reduced so fast by stopping the gluten???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Celiac can give us inflammation that effects just about anyplace. It sounds like that inflammation is resolving for you. I don't think it is your imagination at all. I was severely ill and was very surprised how quickly the joint and muscle pain resolved. I hope your progress continues but do be aware we can have some ups and downs.

thanks raven

anyone else care to share stories about rapid improvement of chronic pain?

I just need more confirmation that it is indeed real!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

On day 11, I sorta noticed that maybe my neck and shoulder muscles were less tense, and that the pain was not as bad.

Each time I am out on a walk, since then, I noticed this, ans also when sitting at the computer. I noticed it yesterday night and this morning again (I'm on day 13 now) during my walk. As I am typing I am aware of it. There is much less pain and tension in my neck and shoulders.

Also, I am right about to have my period, and this is usually the very WORST time, pain-wise. Stabbing, burning pains, especially in my achilles tendons and wrists (I have carpal tunnel syndrome). Well, all that is better too!! :) NO intense inflamatory pain like I ususally get this time in my cycle! I do have some pain, but overall MUCH better.

Please tell me if it is possible or if I am imagining it. Can the inflamation from the gluten be reduced so fast by stopping the gluten???

Nope--it's possible! Before I went gluten-free, I had pain in my right hip. It was much worse in the morning, making turning over in bed extremely painful. After a short time gluten-free, the pain went away completely and has not returned in over 5 years. (knock wood)

kate1 Newbie

Oh its true alright......I had the worst pain ever they tried to tell me it was the osteoporosis, then I went gluten free and wonder of wonders most of the pain went.I am 11 weeks now gluten free not as fast as you but getting there.

my pain was in my neck, shoulders and lower back and buttocks, really bad pain and was walking like a 90 yr old.i think i have similar reaction to dairy and trying to sort that out too .Good luck keep going. :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

No, you are defenitly not imagining it. Wonderful isn't it? :D

My shoulder and neck pain started easing up just 2 weeks into it. But it took several more weeks and after dropping the nightshade veggetables that my lower back and hip pain went away. After a year the bone pain finally started easing. Now almost 2 years later I have no pain unless I eat something with either gluten, soy, dairy or nighshade veggies.

My muscle pain has eased up a lot but it's still there so still working on that. But,

I think I am one of those who might have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I'm hoping anyway.

Hang in there!

The results are fantastic.

Yes there is obvioulsy a lot of healing to do, but the reduction in pain in my neck and shoulders is dramatic.

I cannot believe it, just 2 weeks later.

I hope it keeps getting better. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I was 12 or 13 when the doctor said I had rheumatoid arthritis. I put up with the pain and inflammation for years after that, but never had the deformity. At the age of 40, I was diagnosed with celiac. Within a month of going glutenfree, the inflammation and pain were gone. Now when I get glutened, that pain comes back.

I do still get numbness, but it is because I have systemic sclerosis. Autoimmune diseases like to travel in packs!

• 2 years later...
ladylike Newbie

I've been on a gluten free diet since December, after starting having mild acne, which I had never suffered from before (I'm now 26y/o), I had not changed anything on my diet (which is super healthy, since I always had a very "sensitive" digestive system for unknown reasons), I wasn't using new cosmetics or makeup and I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy wasn't causing the acne (which is common).

After researching a lot (I can't afford doctors, that's why I try to keep muself healthy), I went gluten free for a week and IT WORKET, no new blemishes. But the holidays came and the gluten came back bringing a TON of pimples... That was it! I went on a gluten free diet for good!

It's been 3 months and a couple days ago I realized that the most horrible pain I used to have during the past 10 years seems to be gone: my neck pain, a pain that goes up on my head and down on my shoulders and upper back, my teen years were unhappy because of it (and doctors who saw my x-ray said to my parents that I was making drama), I couldn't stant a bikini top, a necklace or scarf touching my neck... So, I googled "gluten neck shoulder pain" and I ended up here...

My life on gluten: Couldn't have dairy, fried food, sugary drinks, acid fruits, alcohol, meat or any other heavy food (I'm 100% vegetarian). Bloated and nauseous very often. Diarrhea. Reflux. Headaches. Fatigue. Restlessness. Moody. Allergies. Muscle pain on belly and back. Horrible neck pain. Knee pain (grew up having many joint problems, my legs were crazy)...

Anyways... It seems other people are as "dramatic" as me... Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's all in my head, but my gluten free life has been bringing me back to life... The only thing I still notice happening are my allergies... The acne is 80% better, I really hope it will clear up! I'm still very cautious with what I eat, but for the first time in years, most of the trouble is gone...

I'm really hoping I will be able to use a cute bikini top this summer!

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

I get right shoulder pain - sharp stabbing pain in centre of shoulder blade - that I am sure is gluten connected.

It has been bothering me again a bit lately and I have wondered if dairy is now the cause. I have not given dairy up but I now think I have arrived at crunch time and it has to go! I don't have much but if I'm honest, it doesn't agree with me  ....  that's it - decision made! Dairy's going :) !

janpell Apprentice

Me too. I have arthritis and I when I did my first elimination diet I went from not being able to turn a door knob, lift a plate, stand without aid, even if I sat too long (15 minutes at times) my joints would seize up in pain. I had to move all day long (I was exhausted as I had a one year old) and would have to go to bed at 7 or 8:00 and would wake up in pain if I had any movement of legs or arms. I was on medication and it stopped working so I moved to the next level and started reacting. I look up alternatives and came across an elimination diet. My GP told me food had nothing to do with my condition. He is no longer my GP and my new one is no better so even though I am not diagnosed Celiac I avoid it like the plague. Anyway, my joint pain was a tolerable level within four days! I wasn't able to close my hand to a tight fist for about a year (this is with a few cheats) and now I am doing HIIT workouts, rock climbing and the like. The best thing is, I don't have that fear when I might lose my balance or trip or catching my wrist on something and how much it would hurt. I have to avoid dairy, soy, peanuts also.

eers03 Explorer

Hey all, I appreciate so very much reading this thread.  I'm having some aching going on today and its reassuring to know I'm not the only one.  Goodness knows I've had it worse before.  In the last month I have experienced back pain, rib pain, collarbone pain, and some stiff wrists.  I've shaken most of it while eating gluten-free.  I mostly have pain in my feet now.  It was difficult for me to get my head around being able to run 6 miles four times a week last year and then by October having the previously mentioned symptoms.  I'm doing some light weight bearing lifting about once a week now.  I was trying to do a 2 mile jog with it and was able to do so but my feet are such that I'm afraid I'll make them too painful to wear my dress shoes for work.  Once the temps are up I'm going to get back to bicycling for a workout and hopefully less jarring will do my body good.

Archived