This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy Questions!

Booseebean

Booseebean Newbie

My doctor called me today saying that they need to schedule me for a biopsy to check for the damage that celiac may have done. They said its not manditory but strongly encourages it. Has anyone had one? What do they do? Does it hurt? Are you awake or asleep? About how long does the whole process take? Any risks involved? Can someone be there in the room with me when they do it? I HATE it when they have to have blood taken every appointment so am very fearful of how I'm gonna handle it if I have to have one. Any pro's or con's if I decide to or not to have one?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

divamomma Enthusiast

My daughter had biopsy/scope last week. The whole process took about 10 minutes. She was given IV sedation and fell asleep very quickly. They put a camera down the throat and look for damage. They also will take samples of the tissue to look for damage. Sometimes the damage can be seen by the scope itself but often it is only visible under microscope. She was a bit tired when she woke up but could eat and drink. She also had a bit of a sore throat for a few hours after. Most doctors will not confirm celiac without a biopsy.

shopgirl Contributor

It doesn't hurt a bit. They give you cold medication like drugs that make you sleepy

okieinalaska Apprentice

I have my endoscopy (and colonoscopy) tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes! : )

plantime Contributor

They gave me some Benadryl, sprayed some nasty stuff down my throat, then whatever drug they put in my IV put me to sleep. I don't remember anything about the rest of the day except riding in a wheelchair in the elevator, and waking up in my recliner at home. I felt no pain or discomfort, other than that nasty spray.

shopgirl Contributor

The spray numbs your throat. My doctor was going to skip it with me but I have such a ridiculous gag reflex — yawning sets it off — that I asked for it. It tastes a little like rotten bananas and goes away quickly.

But I realize now that I was so out of it, I wasn't about to be gagging on the tube anyway. :)

Sunshine411 Newbie

I have been on a gluten-free diet & have gotten a blood test. I still have to wait a week for the results though... The doctor said something about if this one thing is high enough I won't need a biopsydone but I can't remember what it was called does anybody know? I was wondering though can they put you to sleep before you get the iv done because I already get freaked out just with needles any thoughts? Sorry if my spelling is bad. I would appreciate some replies. Thank you! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

okieinalaska Apprentice

Had mine yesterday and the actual procedure was a breeze! It was the prep that was the worst part.

They do not put you to sleep before the iv, that's how they give you the stuff that puts you to sleep.

They did put me to sleep before they numbed my throat and did everything else though.

Honestly except for being sleepy afterwards I felt great and didn't remember anything. I felt so good I actually wondered if they had done anything to me, LOL.

LDJofDenver Apprentice

It doesn't hurt, and barely felt putting in the IV and whammo, you're out. You most likely won't even know it's been done! You'll be on your way out before you think they even started.

My primary care doc said I didn't need an endoscopy because my blood work was positive for celiac.

However, my GI doc strongly disagreed. She said there are many reasons celiacs should have the endoscopy -- not just to confirm what blood tests indicate.

We (celiacs) often have had years of stomach upset, vomiting, reflux, etc. and during endoscopy they also examine the esophagus for damage or changes from stomach acid, and look for damage in the stomach, test for h-pylori, and look for certain markers, etc.

It's like getting the whole picture of your disease. Personally, I think it's a very worthwhile procedure to have done.

Archived