8 replies to this topic

#1 Booseebean

Booseebean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

My doctor called me today saying that they need to schedule me for a biopsy to check for the damage that celiac may have done. They said its not manditory but strongly encourages it. Has anyone had one? What do they do? Does it hurt? Are you awake or asleep? About how long does the whole process take? Any risks involved? Can someone be there in the room with me when they do it? I HATE it when they have to have blood taken every appointment so am very fearful of how I'm gonna handle it if I have to have one. Any pro's or con's if I decide to or not to have one?
Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 divamomma

divamomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

My daughter had biopsy/scope last week. The whole process took about 10 minutes. She was given IV sedation and fell asleep very quickly. They put a camera down the throat and look for damage. They also will take samples of the tissue to look for damage. Sometimes the damage can be seen by the scope itself but often it is only visible under microscope. She was a bit tired when she woke up but could eat and drink. She also had a bit of a sore throat for a few hours after. Most doctors will not confirm celiac without a biopsy.

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training
~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~
~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~
~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

It doesn't hurt a bit. They give you cold medication like drugs that make you sleepy you'll be responsive but you won't remember afterwards. They put a tube down your throat, grab some samples, and that's it. You'll be groggy and have to sleep it off but there's no pain or discomfort.

You'll definitely need someone there to pick you up and listen to what the doctor has to say because you'll be too out of it. I vaguely remember my doctor checking in with me when I woke up but my mom said I kept drifting in and out. I don't know about allowing someone in the actual room with you.

It's really nothing to worry about. A trip to the dentist for a regular cleaning is a lot more uncomfortable than a biopsy ever could be.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#4 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

I have my endoscopy (and colonoscopy) tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes! : )
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

They gave me some Benadryl, sprayed some nasty stuff down my throat, then whatever drug they put in my IV put me to sleep. I don't remember anything about the rest of the day except riding in a wheelchair in the elevator, and waking up in my recliner at home. I felt no pain or discomfort, other than that nasty spray.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

The spray numbs your throat. My doctor was going to skip it with me but I have such a ridiculous gag reflex — yawning sets it off — that I asked for it. It tastes a little like rotten bananas and goes away quickly.

But I realize now that I was so out of it, I wasn't about to be gagging on the tube anyway. :)
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#7 Sunshine411

Sunshine411

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have been on a gluten-free diet & have gotten a blood test. I still have to wait a week for the results though... The doctor said something about if this one thing is high enough I won't need a biopsydone but I can't remember what it was called does anybody know? I was wondering though can they put you to sleep before you get the iv done because I already get freaked out just with needles any thoughts? Sorry if my spelling is bad. I would appreciate some replies. Thank you! :)

#8 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Had mine yesterday and the actual procedure was a breeze! It was the prep that was the worst part.

They do not put you to sleep before the iv, that's how they give you the stuff that puts you to sleep.
They did put me to sleep before they numbed my throat and did everything else though.

Honestly except for being sleepy afterwards I felt great and didn't remember anything. I felt so good I actually wondered if they had done anything to me, LOL.
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#9 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

It doesn't hurt, and barely felt putting in the IV and whammo, you're out. You most likely won't even know it's been done! You'll be on your way out before you think they even started.

My primary care doc said I didn't need an endoscopy because my blood work was positive for celiac.

However, my GI doc strongly disagreed. She said there are many reasons celiacs should have the endoscopy -- not just to confirm what blood tests indicate.

We (celiacs) often have had years of stomach upset, vomiting, reflux, etc. and during endoscopy they also examine the esophagus for damage or changes from stomach acid, and look for damage in the stomach, test for h-pylori, and look for certain markers, etc.

It's like getting the whole picture of your disease. Personally, I think it's a very worthwhile procedure to have done.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: