Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Restless Leg Syndrome

5 posts in this topic

i was diagnosed with this today. is this common with celiac? I will begin a new medication tonight to help me with it.

Ads by Google:

IDK about Celiac, but it is a symptom of iron deficient anemia, which is a symptom of Celiac.

It's also commonly associated with a magnesium deficiency. Have you had all your vitamin levels checked?

It's also commonly associated with a magnesium deficiency. Have you had all your vitamin levels checked?

Since posting this, I looked around online. I found that it can be associated with Celiac Disease, fibromyalgia.....both of which I have. Interesting.

My doctor checked the basics. I asked about zinc particularly today, as someone asked about my zinc as per the DH issue (I have a scalpal issue). He said my iron was normal but my Vitamin D was EXTREMELY low. I am on 56,000 units every other day for 8 weeks and then will get retested. Since Zinc wasn't checked, I am assuming magnesium wasn't either.

We will see with the new medication if I will finally get a nights sleep. It has been YEARS since I have. I suffer from chronic insomnia as well. Would love more than anything to get a full nights sleep.

This is what I found: (taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome)

Underlying disorders

The most commonly associated medical condition is iron deficiency (specifically blood ferritin below 50

I was an RLS patient (with fibromyalgia, and I think the poor sleep from the RLS contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to the fibro) with low iron stores. They weren't below threshold, but they were on the low end. Treating it made a distinct difference. I stayed on Topomax until we decided to get pregnant, however, and that definitely helped a lot too.