4 replies to this topic

#1 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

i was diagnosed with this today. is this common with celiac? I will begin a new medication tonight to help me with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aedixon

aedixon

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

IDK about Celiac, but it is a symptom of iron deficient anemia, which is a symptom of Celiac.
  • Inexplicable, random vomiting/or D 30 min. post-meal beginning 2002
  • Diagnosed severely iron-deficient anemic August 2005
  • Bloating, weight gain, ongoing issues October 2009
  • Gluten-free September 2010
  • Self-diagnosed (w/doc's support) Celiac November 2010
  • (mostly) Corn-free December 2010
  • Iron count NORMAL after 3 1/3 mos. gluten free!

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

It's also commonly associated with a magnesium deficiency. Have you had all your vitamin levels checked?
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#4 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

It's also commonly associated with a magnesium deficiency. Have you had all your vitamin levels checked?

Since posting this, I looked around online. I found that it can be associated with Celiac Disease, fibromyalgia.....both of which I have. Interesting.

My doctor checked the basics. I asked about zinc particularly today, as someone asked about my zinc as per the DH issue (I have a scalpal issue). He said my iron was normal but my Vitamin D was EXTREMELY low. I am on 56,000 units every other day for 8 weeks and then will get retested. Since Zinc wasn't checked, I am assuming magnesium wasn't either.

We will see with the new medication if I will finally get a nights sleep. It has been YEARS since I have. I suffer from chronic insomnia as well. Would love more than anything to get a full nights sleep.

This is what I found: (taken from http://en.wikipedia....s_legs_syndrome)

Underlying disorders

The most commonly associated medical condition is iron deficiency (specifically blood ferritin below 50 µg/L[10]), which accounts for 20% of all cases of RLS. Conversely, 75% of individuals with RLS symptoms may have decreased iron stores. Other associated conditions include varicose vein or venous reflux, folate deficiency, magnesium deficiency, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, uremia, diabetes, thyroid disease, peripheral neuropathy, Parkinson's disease and certain auto-immune disorders such as Sjögren's syndrome, celiac disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. RLS can also worsen in pregnancy.[11] In a 2007 study, RLS was detected in 36% of patients attending a phlebology (vein disease) clinic, compared to 18% in a control group.[12]

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

I was an RLS patient (with fibromyalgia, and I think the poor sleep from the RLS contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to the fibro) with low iron stores. They weren't below threshold, but they were on the low end. Treating it made a distinct difference. I stayed on Topomax until we decided to get pregnant, however, and that definitely helped a lot too.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: