#1 blissfully_unaware

blissfully_unaware

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi

I'm still confused whether MSG contains gluten or not - haven't eaten it since I was diagnosed with celiac. I've been reading conflicting reports everywhere. I know MSG is anyways not good for health and hence, never use it. But I'd still like to know if it's safe for celiacs (so that I can safely eat Chinese food if I don't get anything else to eat when I'm out)!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

MSG is gluten-free. Whether it is "safe" is a subject of much controversy, which I won't get into here. But it is definitely gluten-free.

Be careful with Chinese food. Most soy sauce contains wheat and thus has gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

MSG does not contain gluten so that's the good news! There are people who are sensitive to MSG though.

The problem with Chinese food is that soy sauce usually contains wheat, especially in restaurants unless they have wheat-free soy sauce available. If you're in the US, the LaChoy or San-J tamari sauce do not contain wheat. My favorite Kikkomen is introducing a wheat-free soy sauce. Yaaay!!!! http://celiac-diseas...free-soy-sauce/
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

ya, i agree.

and when you typed "Chinese Food".. alarm bells went off in my head- Asian food can be a real disaster unfortunately- its so frustrating- because it's SO YUMMY- and it would be so easy for them to use Wheat Free soy sauce and fish sauce and oyster sauce- and it would still be DELISH- it's not like trying to make a gluten free pizza crust taste good.

Anyways- please be careful! since ive gone gluten free- ive only stuck to Pei Wei's gluten-free menu, or PF Chang's gluten-free menu. ive also tested out certain sushi rolls while bringing my own gluten-free soy sauce.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 AmyE

AmyE

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

Msg triggers my migraines in a horrible way! I have been gluten free since nov 11 and the only 4 day long migraine was due to 1tsp of taco bell taco seasoning in my vat of soup :-( never again!!!!!

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

Msg triggers my migraines in a horrible way! I have been gluten free since nov 11 and the only 4 day long migraine was due to 1tsp of taco bell taco seasoning in my vat of soup :-( never again!!!!!

I'm assuming you are using the store bought package of taco bell seasoning mix? The taco bell seasoning mix for tacos that you can buy at the store contains wheat. I took a look around on the web for a link to post the ingredients, but they all want to talk about the restaurant or a copy cat recipe. You can go to Amazon and take a look at the ingredient list(link not allowed on this board because they spam).
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Never had a problem with it. At one time, I would use the Adolphs meat tenderizer that, if I'm not mistaken, had MSG as the main ingredient.

I did have a co-worker once that got migrains from it.

I love the Seinfeld episode where they are ordering Chinese delivered. And George says no MSG on his, and Kramer says extra MSG on his!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

One thing I started doing a while back is to add spices to the serving I am eating, rather than a whole pot of food as I am cooking it. That way if I did react to the spice it would only be that serving that was bad, and I wouldn't have to throw out a lot of food.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 blissfully_unaware

blissfully_unaware

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

Thank you all for your replies!
I remember reading on the list of safe ingredients on celiac.com that MSG made in USA is safe, and MSG made in other countries may not be gluten free.

#10 IMSassafras

IMSassafras

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thank you all for your replies!
I remember reading on the list of safe ingredients on celiac.com that MSG made in USA is safe, and MSG made in other countries may not be gluten free.

As a sufferer of MSG and Other Excitotoxins, I don't try to differentiate between MSG made here or there. It is MSG, don't eat it. Another concern is to eliminate Hydrolyzed Protein because it contains at least 20% MSG and Autolyzed Yeast Extract because it contains 12% MSG. There are other ingredients - over 100 actually - MSG intolerant people must avoid or limit depending on the individual's sensitivity and the amount of free-glutamate.

#11 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

As a sufferer of MSG and Other Excitotoxins, I don't try to differentiate between MSG made here or there. It is MSG, don't eat it. Another concern is to eliminate Hydrolyzed Protein because it contains at least 20% MSG and Autolyzed Yeast Extract because it contains 12% MSG. There are other ingredients - over 100 actually - MSG intolerant people must avoid or limit depending on the individual's sensitivity and the amount of free-glutamate.

When they said " safe" they meant gluten free. Also, that was from 3 years ago.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#12 IMSassafras

IMSassafras

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

When they said " safe" they meant gluten free. Also, that was from 3 years ago.

Well, I thought it wouldn't matter that much. If so, I will reply to more recent posts.

#13 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Well, I thought it wouldn't matter that much. If so, I will reply to more recent posts.

Just Wanted you to know. Many of them haven't been around for a couple of years so they won't be responding back.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#14 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Back to Chinese foods:

Have you tried Thai food? It is as good a s Chinese and they generally use fish sauce rather that soy. Try some of the mixes... many od them are labeled Gluten free. I especially love Pad Thai.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: