This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Those Who Cant Eat Nightshade Vegetables - Cracking Lips, Pus-Filled Pimples?

Evangeline

Evangeline Explorer

I recently saw a post somewhere on this forum (2 years old) that some Celiacs are sensitive to nightshade vegetables.

Nightshades are potatoes, goji berries, eggplant, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, and several other peppers.

The reactions can vary - from sleepiness, headaches or migraines. Some people claimed their skin became dry, their lips cracked open and they broke out with pus-filled pimples.

I believe I have a nightshade sensitivity and many of these symptoms are my own.

I am wondering how long it took to get the nightshades out of your system? How long to stop the majority of symptoms? How many months to completely eliminate the symptoms?

Any information would help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

my only symptom is bloating and painful gas. but i dont think my problem is "nightshade", i think its fructose & fructans. i can eat tomatoes in moderation, and a tiny bit of peppers.. but potatoes hurt. it usually takes me 24 hours to 3 days to get back to normal.

hope someone has better advice

mushroom Proficient

I recently saw a post somewhere on this forum (2 years old) that some Celiacs are sensitive to nightshade vegetables.

Nightshades are potatoes, goji berries, eggplant, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, and several other peppers.

The reactions can vary - from sleepiness, headaches or migraines. Some people claimed their skin became dry, their lips cracked open and they broke out with pus-filled pimples.

I believe I have a nightshade sensitivity and many of these symptoms are my own.

I am wondering how long it took to get the nightshades out of your system? How long to stop the majority of symptoms? How many months to completely eliminate the symptoms?

I believe my problems with nightshades has to do with their high lectin content and I don't handle high-lectin foods at all well. I get bloating so severe that it causes cardiac arrhthmias, which I believe is a fairly unique response. Since I have eliminated my high lectin foods and taken additional steps to heal my leaky gut, I have had the problem under control for several months now. But it took a long time and a lot of exploration into what worked and how it worked. It may have nothing at all to do with your problem. I have had no migraines or headaches.

cahill Collaborator

Before eliminating nightshades I never connected the migraines with them,, But after eliminating them I ( of course :blink: ) had to prove to my self wither or not nightshades were a problem .

I had eliminated them for about a month and then I purposely ate them ,,just to make sure <_< I had an migraine within an hour of eating them and I became violently ill .

MsMissy Newbie

So im not the only one! I do have Nightshade problems, In fact mine is to the point of allergy and came on 10 years before my Celiac was discovered. (i didn't know Goji berries where in that family too, thanx for the heads up.) IN my case my lips swell, i get the p%$#@# rash, hives (especially with tomato, potato and eggplant) my mouth itches and i vomit. I also can not stand Tobacco smoke (tobacco is in the nightshade family.) my throat becomes tight, i cough alot, and my eyes tear up from second hand smoke.

cassP Contributor

So im not the only one! I do have Nightshade problems, In fact mine is to the point of allergy and came on 10 years before my Celiac was discovered. (i didn't know Goji berries where in that family too, thanx for the heads up.) IN my case my lips swell, i get the p%$#@# rash, hives (especially with tomato, potato and eggplant) my mouth itches and i vomit. I also can not stand Tobacco smoke (tobacco is in the nightshade family.) my throat becomes tight, i cough alot, and my eyes tear up from second hand smoke.

OMG, i canNOT believe you typed: "p%$#@# rash" LOL :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
MsMissy Newbie

OMG, i canNOT believe you typed: "p%$#@# rash" LOL :lol:

Dyslexia strikes agian lol....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I am concerned that my intolerance for nightshades may be or will become??( can that happen??) an allergy.I did not realize that eggplant was part of the nightshade family. I used the same cutting board for eggplant then my veggies with out washing it.I did not even eat the eggplant the CC was enough. WOW the reaction was immediate and intense.I became violently ill and the headache lasted for days and no meds would touch it.

• 2 weeks later...
CarlaJean Newbie

Hi, Ive been on a gluten-free diet for about 5 years. Was feeling pretty good. But the past year or two I started getting some weird symptoms and couldnt figure out what they were from. Im beginning to suspect nightshades. Not very happy about that. Being celiac I live on peppers, tomatoes and potatoes! The other day I made stuffed pepper soup. That night I felt as though I was really retaining water all over. Especially hands, feet and lips. I also was extremely tired. Could fall asleep sitting up. This totally isnt me! I usually have trouble falling asleep. This isnt the first time Ive had these symtoms, but its the first time it clicked that it could be nightshades so im not sure what I ate the other times. I will be watching from now on. I also have been getting slight headaches. I usually never get headaches. At least not since I was a teenager and first started having seizures. Does this sound like a nightshade reaction to anyone who is familar with it? I do plan to take it out of my diet to see. But I have to admit Im very unhappy about that. But Ive also been getting more and more arthritic and its just getting to be too much. If nightshades have to go then thats what Ill do!

Thanks in advance, Carla

chasbari Apprentice

Nightshades for me equals severe rheumatoid arthritis flares. The kind that make it hard to stand or walk or generally function like a human being. I stay away from them now.

• 2 weeks later...
glutefree Rookie

Hey, That was my thread started awhile back that you are mentioning. I didn't get a huge response so I thought maybe I was nuts. Anyway, I do still have major problems with nightshades. Eggplant made my lips swell and the tomatoes, peppers, give me the big D and major heartburn. I haven't figured out if potatoes are okay. I don't eat them much, but potato starch is a common ingredient in gluten free food.

I still haven't completely eliminated my syptoms. I just rarely eat them and the few times I do, I load up on antacids and pay the price.

• 4 weeks later...
Evangeline Explorer

I get watery eyes, a tight throat and begin to cough when I am around cigarette smoke. That's true, tobacco IS a nightshade plant. And I am VERY VERY sensitive to nightshades. I have eliminated them completely from my diet now. I vomit and have heart burn and cramps and am a GROUCH after eating tomatoes. I am grumpy after potatoes too. I haven't tested the others.

Archived