Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate - Have You Ever Had A Problem?

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 Haylsinator

Haylsinator

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

I'm feeling pretty awful today and have not had anything out of the ordinary. I did, however, chew nearly an entire pack of Orbit Tropical Remix (I admit to a gum addiction :) )! The ingredients seemed safe but I did see, after my syptoms started occurring, that one of them "Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate" may contain gluten, according to this site. Has anyone ever had an issue with this before? Other than the gum I've had an apple, nestle instant breakfast (sugarfree vanilla) - drink this regularly, and a theraflu packet today.

Thanks for any insight :)
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test: late November 2008

Consciously Gluten Free starting end of November 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 erikamariko

erikamariko

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have been chewing Orbit peppermint gum for years without any problems, but a few days ago I opened a new pack of "Orbit Strawberry Remix," thinking that all Orbit gums are gluten-free, and now I have had a stomachache for 3 days. I have probably chewed 2 pieces a day for the past few days.

I emailed Wrigley's to ask about this particular flavor. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

Also, hydrogenated starch hydrosylate is definitely an ingredient in the Strawberry Remix flavor, but not the peppermint flavor. I'm thinking this ingredient must be the problem. I got really sick last summer after having bubble tea with this ingredient as well.

My advice is to stay away from HSH! Luckily, plenty of Orbit gum flavors don't have it.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: