19 replies to this topic

#1 Judy3

Judy3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I was diagnosed in November 2010, been on the gluten free diet since November 8 2010 and today they took away my diabetes drugs because my blood sugar has been too low!!! I've been trying to exercise since I have all this energy back and I keep dropping to dangerous lows blood sugar wise. My regular doctor cut it down some 2 weeks ago and nothing changed so today he said no more... stop them! Yay!!!

I never in my wildest dreams imagined that fixing one thing would fix the other things as well... I'm psyched!!

I just had to share this!! :D
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'm sooo happy for you!

Isn't it wonderful?

I bet there will be more wonderful surprises around the corner too.

Here is mine.

I have fingernails for the first time in my life!

It isn't as big as losing diabetes drugs...but it is a little celebration by my body! :D
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

Congratulations! That's really great to hear. :)
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#4 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone. They told me this 'might' happen but I never imagined it would be this soon. I have so much energy now and I actually want to exercise but I couldn't because I'd almost pass out from low blood sugar and today the doctor said 'gone, no more' and keep riding that bike!!! I love it! Natural wellness is so much better than medicine!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm

#5 possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

i'm very happy for you!

my neck and shoulder pain have dramatically decreased in just 2 WEEKS. I still cannot believe it.

I still have a long way to go (still very very tired and irritibale among other things), but this pain thing getting better has GOT to be related to going gluten free. I used to have such pain I wanted to cry. everyday was a struggle. Sure if I sit at the computer too lomg I still fet sore (like right now), but overall it's just so much better.

I am so much better I am still so afraid I am imagining it. But it did take about 2 weeks so I guess if I were imagining things, it would have been sooner like a weird placebo effect within a couple of days. I don't know. I just feel it is so much better.

#6 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

i'm very happy for you!

my neck and shoulder pain have dramatically decreased in just 2 WEEKS. I still cannot believe it.

I still have a long way to go (still very very tired and irritibale among other things), but this pain thing getting better has GOT to be related to going gluten free. I used to have such pain I wanted to cry. everyday was a struggle. Sure if I sit at the computer too lomg I still fet sore (like right now), but overall it's just so much better.

I am so much better I am still so afraid I am imagining it. But it did take about 2 weeks so I guess if I were imagining things, it would have been sooner like a weird placebo effect within a couple of days. I don't know. I just feel it is so much better.

I thought the same thing that I was imagining things in the very beginning. After about 2 weeks I had huge bursts of energy and things just seemed better in the world. I didn't have stomach pain or diarrhea, I wasn't vomiting anymore... I felt normal.. (will I ever be normal really? haha) and now 2 1/2 months into this the diabetes takes a vacation, no pain, exercise feels good!!! and my stomach doesn't grumble at me anymore... so nope you are not imagining things... I'm amazed. I see the gastro doc that diagnosed me on Feb 10 and I can't wait to hug him!!

Have a great weekend...
*Judy

#7 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Judy this is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! It is a miracle all the things that clear up when we stop poisoning ourselves isn't it? :P Please do let other diabetics know about this, it is likely the root cause of their diabetes problem (Though sugar doesn't help matters). So if you frequent any such forums or know other diabetics be a shining example for them. :)

My triumph was my thyroid not being swollen after only a few weeks gluten-free (I understand that there is a real possibility I may not need meds myself one day) and my Depression going away at the 3 month mark. Then there was the insomnia, nightsweats, joint pain, and muscle spasms that all disappeared too. And I'm working on my allergies getting better as we speak.

I went gluten-free to get rid of my DH, I had no idea how much better I would feel in every way but thank goodness for that ugly rash or I might never have known how beautiful life can be! B)

I have a very big smile on my face right now for you. :D
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#8 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Judy this is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! It is a miracle all the things that clear up when we stop poisoning ourselves isn't it? :P Please do let other diabetics know about this, it is likely the root cause of their diabetes problem (Though sugar doesn't help matters). So if you frequent any such forums or know other diabetics be a shining example for them. :)

My triumph was my thyroid not being swollen after only a few weeks gluten-free (I understand that there is a real possibility I may not need meds myself one day) and my Depression going away at the 3 month mark. Then there was the insomnia, nightsweats, joint pain, and muscle spasms that all disappeared too. And I'm working on my allergies getting better as we speak.

I went gluten-free to get rid of my DH, I had no idea how much better I would feel in every way but thank goodness for that ugly rash or I might never have known how beautiful life can be! B)

I have a very big smile on my face right now for you. :D

Thank you for your smiles and kind words!!! :D
*Judy

#9 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

That is absolutely AWESOME And WONDERFUL!!!!

I used to get cold sores pretty much every couple weeks (sometimes more than one at a time!), and since going gluten-free I haven't gotten them as often, and actually, I'm 6 mo gluten-free now and rarely get them!!
I also had to cut out all dairy-- just this last week i've been able to eat cheese and a little yogurt w/ no problem! (or at least not any really noticable problem!)
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#10 Tiferet

Tiferet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

I've been gluten free for two days and I feel like my IQ went up 50 points. I was watching Fringe and I realised I don't remember most of the last season. Also, my missing sex drive has reappeared. Too bad I haven't had the energy to date for 8 years, LOL...I'm enjoying cooking my own food, it's something I was always too tired to do before.

(If this seems a little miraculous, I was sneaking as much gluten-free time as I could after the blood test--eating only as much as they said I had to and skipping days on the weekends. The blood test results came back two days ago and were apparently so high they didn't want me to wait for a biopsy to go off gluten. Not surprising since once I read what all the celiac symptoms are, it's possible I've had it at least 30 years...)

#11 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

I've been gluten free for two days and I feel like my IQ went up 50 points. I was watching Fringe and I realised I don't remember most of the last season. Also, my missing sex drive has reappeared. Too bad I haven't had the energy to date for 8 years, LOL...I'm enjoying cooking my own food, it's something I was always too tired to do before.

(If this seems a little miraculous, I was sneaking as much gluten-free time as I could after the blood test--eating only as much as they said I had to and skipping days on the weekends. The blood test results came back two days ago and were apparently so high they didn't want me to wait for a biopsy to go off gluten. Not surprising since once I read what all the celiac symptoms are, it's possible I've had it at least 30 years...)

Welcome to the club... !! I had this all my life in various degrees of severity and they just found it now at 53 yrs old. Amazing huh? Keep feeling better :D
*Judy

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:54 AM

I had lots of unexpected things get better too. The weirdest one is that my vision got better. I no longer needed my glasses which I got in my 20's.

#13 justjen

justjen

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

That is AWESOME!!! My hubby will have to go gluten-free with me (I REFUSE to cook seperate LOL...and it was his Idea :lol: )and I'm hoping it will help his Diabetes and his Fibromyalgia

#14 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Judy, B)

I had lots of unexpected things get better too. The weirdest one is that my vision got better. I no longer needed my glasses which I got in my 20's.

Oh Steph PLEASE do a post on this if you haven't already done so. This is something I am hoping will happen with me and I'd love to hear the details of yours and others stories. :)

That is AWESOME!!! My hubby will have to go gluten-free with me (I REFUSE to cook seperate LOL...and it was his Idea :lol: )and I'm hoping it will help his Diabetes and his Fibromyalgia

I'm willing to bet that it will. So long as he is 100% gluten-free. Please do keep us posted. :)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#15 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

Judy, B)
Oh Steph PLEASE do a post on this if you haven't already done so. This is something I am hoping will happen with me and I'd love to hear the details of yours and others stories. :)

There have been several posts about this topic. Maybe try searching it.

I noticed after about 2 months gluten free that my vision seemed better without the glasses than with them. I stopped wearing the glasses, except for driving because it was mandated. After about a year I went back to the eye doctor and my vision was 20:20 in one eye when it had been 20:40. I no longer had to have manditory glasses on my driver's license. The other eye was a bit worse, but for some reason they really didn't want to give me the numbers. My eye doctor wasn't familiar with eye damage caused by celiac disease. She said that she didn't know the reason for my "perceived vision improvement". Before she had ordered all sorts of tests because she was worrying about my vision loss and that time she told me to go to an optometrist next time instead of her (ophthalmologist). I didn't need any more testing. I had thought that my astigmatism was better since the prescription ended up not having it anymore. The prescription didn't have much of anything anymore. It also had too much correction for near vision because she just left it the same and didn't remeasure. The ophthalmologist told me that she could still see the astigmatism and she didn't know why I could see better without the astigmatism correction. She didn't want to discuss much or tell me much. I had the impression that she was worried that she had been doing something wrong. Now I'm 51 and need over the counter glasses for really fine print, but can still read newspaper size print without them. Before I got my first glasses when I started college (late teens) because I couldn't see the board and I need close vision correction around age 40.

The vision still gets blurred when I get accidental gluten consumption, even tiny amounts.

I hope your vision improves too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: