This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healing With Gluten Free Diet

Judy3

Judy3 Contributor

I was diagnosed in November 2010, been on the gluten free diet since November 8 2010 and today they took away my diabetes drugs because my blood sugar has been too low!!! I've been trying to exercise since I have all this energy back and I keep dropping to dangerous lows blood sugar wise. My regular doctor cut it down some 2 weeks ago and nothing changed so today he said no more... stop them! Yay!!!

I never in my wildest dreams imagined that fixing one thing would fix the other things as well... I'm psyched!!

I just had to share this!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I'm sooo happy for you!

Isn't it wonderful?

I bet there will be more wonderful surprises around the corner too.

Here is mine.

I have fingernails for the first time in my life!

It isn't as big as losing diabetes drugs...but it is a little celebration by my body! :D

shopgirl Contributor

Congratulations! That's really great to hear. :)

Judy3 Contributor

Thanks everyone. They told me this 'might' happen but I never imagined it would be this soon. I have so much energy now and I actually want to exercise but I couldn't because I'd almost pass out from low blood sugar and today the doctor said 'gone, no more' and keep riding that bike!!! I love it! Natural wellness is so much better than medicine!!

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

i'm very happy for you!

my neck and shoulder pain have dramatically decreased in just 2 WEEKS. I still cannot believe it.

I still have a long way to go (still very very tired and irritibale among other things), but this pain thing getting better has GOT to be related to going gluten free. I used to have such pain I wanted to cry. everyday was a struggle. Sure if I sit at the computer too lomg I still fet sore (like right now), but overall it's just so much better.

I am so much better I am still so afraid I am imagining it. But it did take about 2 weeks so I guess if I were imagining things, it would have been sooner like a weird placebo effect within a couple of days. I don't know. I just feel it is so much better.

Judy3 Contributor

i'm very happy for you!

my neck and shoulder pain have dramatically decreased in just 2 WEEKS. I still cannot believe it.

I still have a long way to go (still very very tired and irritibale among other things), but this pain thing getting better has GOT to be related to going gluten free. I used to have such pain I wanted to cry. everyday was a struggle. Sure if I sit at the computer too lomg I still fet sore (like right now), but overall it's just so much better.

I am so much better I am still so afraid I am imagining it. But it did take about 2 weeks so I guess if I were imagining things, it would have been sooner like a weird placebo effect within a couple of days. I don't know. I just feel it is so much better.

I thought the same thing that I was imagining things in the very beginning. After about 2 weeks I had huge bursts of energy and things just seemed better in the world. I didn't have stomach pain or diarrhea, I wasn't vomiting anymore... I felt normal.. (will I ever be normal really? haha) and now 2 1/2 months into this the diabetes takes a vacation, no pain, exercise feels good!!! and my stomach doesn't grumble at me anymore... so nope you are not imagining things... I'm amazed. I see the gastro doc that diagnosed me on Feb 10 and I can't wait to hug him!!

Have a great weekend...

Cypressmyst Explorer

Judy this is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! It is a miracle all the things that clear up when we stop poisoning ourselves isn't it? :P Please do let other diabetics know about this, it is likely the root cause of their diabetes problem (Though sugar doesn't help matters). So if you frequent any such forums or know other diabetics be a shining example for them. :)

My triumph was my thyroid not being swollen after only a few weeks gluten-free (I understand that there is a real possibility I may not need meds myself one day) and my Depression going away at the 3 month mark. Then there was the insomnia, nightsweats, joint pain, and muscle spasms that all disappeared too. And I'm working on my allergies getting better as we speak.

I went gluten-free to get rid of my DH, I had no idea how much better I would feel in every way but thank goodness for that ugly rash or I might never have known how beautiful life can be! B)

I have a very big smile on my face right now for you. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judy3 Contributor

Judy this is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! It is a miracle all the things that clear up when we stop poisoning ourselves isn't it? :P Please do let other diabetics know about this, it is likely the root cause of their diabetes problem (Though sugar doesn't help matters). So if you frequent any such forums or know other diabetics be a shining example for them. :)

My triumph was my thyroid not being swollen after only a few weeks gluten-free (I understand that there is a real possibility I may not need meds myself one day) and my Depression going away at the 3 month mark. Then there was the insomnia, nightsweats, joint pain, and muscle spasms that all disappeared too. And I'm working on my allergies getting better as we speak.

I went gluten-free to get rid of my DH, I had no idea how much better I would feel in every way but thank goodness for that ugly rash or I might never have known how beautiful life can be! B)

I have a very big smile on my face right now for you. :D

Thank you for your smiles and kind words!!! :D

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

That is absolutely AWESOME And WONDERFUL!!!!

I used to get cold sores pretty much every couple weeks (sometimes more than one at a time!), and since going gluten-free I haven't gotten them as often, and actually, I'm 6 mo gluten-free now and rarely get them!!

I also had to cut out all dairy-- just this last week i've been able to eat cheese and a little yogurt w/ no problem! (or at least not any really noticable problem!)

Tiferet Newbie

I've been gluten free for two days and I feel like my IQ went up 50 points. I was watching Fringe and I realised I don't remember most of the last season. Also, my missing sex drive has reappeared. Too bad I haven't had the energy to date for 8 years, LOL...I'm enjoying cooking my own food, it's something I was always too tired to do before.

(If this seems a little miraculous, I was sneaking as much gluten-free time as I could after the blood test--eating only as much as they said I had to and skipping days on the weekends. The blood test results came back two days ago and were apparently so high they didn't want me to wait for a biopsy to go off gluten. Not surprising since once I read what all the celiac symptoms are, it's possible I've had it at least 30 years...)

Judy3 Contributor

I've been gluten free for two days and I feel like my IQ went up 50 points. I was watching Fringe and I realised I don't remember most of the last season. Also, my missing sex drive has reappeared. Too bad I haven't had the energy to date for 8 years, LOL...I'm enjoying cooking my own food, it's something I was always too tired to do before.

(If this seems a little miraculous, I was sneaking as much gluten-free time as I could after the blood test--eating only as much as they said I had to and skipping days on the weekends. The blood test results came back two days ago and were apparently so high they didn't want me to wait for a biopsy to go off gluten. Not surprising since once I read what all the celiac symptoms are, it's possible I've had it at least 30 years...)

Welcome to the club... !! I had this all my life in various degrees of severity and they just found it now at 53 yrs old. Amazing huh? Keep feeling better :D

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I had lots of unexpected things get better too. The weirdest one is that my vision got better. I no longer needed my glasses which I got in my 20's.

justjen Rookie

That is AWESOME!!! My hubby will have to go gluten-free with me (I REFUSE to cook seperate LOL...and it was his Idea :lol: )and I'm hoping it will help his Diabetes and his Fibromyalgia

Cypressmyst Explorer

Judy, B)

I had lots of unexpected things get better too. The weirdest one is that my vision got better. I no longer needed my glasses which I got in my 20's.

Oh Steph PLEASE do a post on this if you haven't already done so. This is something I am hoping will happen with me and I'd love to hear the details of yours and others stories. :)

That is AWESOME!!! My hubby will have to go gluten-free with me (I REFUSE to cook seperate LOL...and it was his Idea :lol: )and I'm hoping it will help his Diabetes and his Fibromyalgia

I'm willing to bet that it will. So long as he is 100% gluten-free. Please do keep us posted. :)

Judy, B)

Oh Steph PLEASE do a post on this if you haven't already done so. This is something I am hoping will happen with me and I'd love to hear the details of yours and others stories. :)

There have been several posts about this topic. Maybe try searching it.

I noticed after about 2 months gluten free that my vision seemed better without the glasses than with them. I stopped wearing the glasses, except for driving because it was mandated. After about a year I went back to the eye doctor and my vision was 20:20 in one eye when it had been 20:40. I no longer had to have manditory glasses on my driver's license. The other eye was a bit worse, but for some reason they really didn't want to give me the numbers. My eye doctor wasn't familiar with eye damage caused by celiac disease. She said that she didn't know the reason for my "perceived vision improvement". Before she had ordered all sorts of tests because she was worrying about my vision loss and that time she told me to go to an optometrist next time instead of her (ophthalmologist). I didn't need any more testing. I had thought that my astigmatism was better since the prescription ended up not having it anymore. The prescription didn't have much of anything anymore. It also had too much correction for near vision because she just left it the same and didn't remeasure. The ophthalmologist told me that she could still see the astigmatism and she didn't know why I could see better without the astigmatism correction. She didn't want to discuss much or tell me much. I had the impression that she was worried that she had been doing something wrong. Now I'm 51 and need over the counter glasses for really fine print, but can still read newspaper size print without them. Before I got my first glasses when I started college (late teens) because I couldn't see the board and I need close vision correction around age 40.

The vision still gets blurred when I get accidental gluten consumption, even tiny amounts.

I hope your vision improves too.

Cypressmyst Explorer

Thanks! :) I am hopeful too.

I have done searches on this site but didn't find anything of use. That being said I didn't spend a long time trying either. So much has cleared up going gluten-free so far that I figure the eyes will be a huge bonus if they clear up too.

Your story is an inspiration! Way to perplex the Docs! ;)

Judy3 Contributor

Rode the bike today for 5 miles and by blood sugar only dropped to 85!! Yay... much better than the 60's of last weeks exercising. LOL oh yeah it's a recumbant (sp?) stationary bike in the basement (I live in WI it's cold and snowy here lol)

Good for you. My ability to exercise also improved a huge amount. I'm going Nordic skiing today.

Luddie Newbie

I've had a weird response, too, but I was attributing it to the massive vitamins and minerals I'm currently taking. The weird response is, my hair is suddenly thicker and growing in wavy/curly on one side of my head! I've had terrible hair all my life, silky, thin and STRAIGHT!So I'm having fun with my "new look". Besides that, I'm on an elimination diet that is quite restricted and I've lost almost 20 pounds. And I've found some gluten free makeup that actually looks and feels good....so I feel like a new woman! Yeah!!! :P

Judy3 Contributor

I've had a weird response, too, but I was attributing it to the massive vitamins and minerals I'm currently taking. The weird response is, my hair is suddenly thicker and growing in wavy/curly on one side of my head! I've had terrible hair all my life, silky, thin and STRAIGHT!So I'm having fun with my "new look". Besides that, I'm on an elimination diet that is quite restricted and I've lost almost 20 pounds. And I've found some gluten free makeup that actually looks and feels good....so I feel like a new woman! Yeah!!! :P

Where does one find gluten free makeup? :unsure:

Archived