arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Decided Not To Have Kids Based On Your Celiac Diagnosis?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SaraKat

SaraKat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

I've been on the fence with having kids anyway and now that I was diagnosed with celiac in Sept I am really leaning towards not having them. Anyone else?

Type I diabetes and other autoimmune diseases run in my husband's family too. 2 of his first cousin's and his sister have Type I diabetes and his sister was just dx'd with Sjogren's also. My side has MS and RA and now celiac. RA is on his side too.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

I don't have kids yet and it's likely due to the celiac, but I have not given up yet. If we can't have them in five years we will look into adoption (actually I would like to adopt regardless but can't afford it right now). Anyway the mere threat of my kids getting this would not put me off because it's so easily treated with diet. I'm not saying it's no big deal, but there are much worse diseases out there than celiac. Actually, I don't know anyone that has perfectly healthy families with no diseases at all. Maybe some people don't talk about all their health issues, but everyone has something come up if they live long enough.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 AugieAlexMom

AugieAlexMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

No. I had two boys after being diagnosed with Celiacs and we are TTC a third baby. While Celiacs can be a pain to deal with, and I am glad that my boys don't have it so far, it is so easily treated with diet that it never even occurred to me that Celiacs might be a reason to not have children. My aunt has 7 children (ages 15 to 2) who are gluten free, so I am aware of the challenges kids face being gluten free. But they still live happy, healthy, productive lives.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Not everyone who has the genes gets it.
It has not put me off kids, as you can see from my avatar. If she gets it, she gets it. There are SOOOO many things that are passed on to our kids - if not from genetics, then from culture, or from familial bad habits. Celiac is far from the worst thing I could pass on.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

I think that having Celiac is a silly reason not to have kids. If you want kids, have kids. If you don't, don't. Parenthood isn't easy, regardless. I have Celiac and knowing that I have it is the first step to treating my son if he starts to show symptoms.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

ya, i dont think you should base your desicion to have kids off of your Celiac. it really is not a big deal- everyone's got something.. and you should do what you want in life- and if having kids is part of who you are- you need to live life to the fullest!

i WOULD tho- if you're going to have a baby- i would consider your Celiac dx in your baby plan decisions- for example: Vaginal Delivery as opposed to C-Sections can postpone when someone with Celiac might actually start to express the disease. the same with Breastfeeding. that being said- you can only do what you can do- dont ever feel less than if situations call for a c-section- we cant control everything.

And- i know it's controversial-> but figure out how you want to raise your children diet-wise, and vaccine schedule wise- because those with Celiac have a higher incidence of children with Autism.

i feel very lucky that i was born in a different time: my mom had me vaginally, breastfed me, and i only had 9 vaccs. and altho we grew up eating wheat, we NEVER were the family with glasses of milk at the table, and we ate pretty healthy... i had a few issues in my childhood, but i really didnt start expressing gut issues till my late teens, and 20s.

i, personally, IF i had a good man, would TOTALLY consider having kids. i would love to take my advice above, but ive got Horrific hemmorhoids... so a C-section might be a neccessity. but i would breastfeed,etc. there's no reason to not have kids really- and having Celiac OF COURSE DOESNT mean any of your kids will have it.

good luck with your decision, and pray about it, and LIVE YOUR LIFE :)
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

those with Celiac have a higher incidence of children with Autism.

I'd be very interested in seeing any links you have to support that statement. Thanks.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

i feel very lucky that i was born in a different time: my mom had me vaginally, breastfed me, and i only had 9 vaccs. and altho we grew up eating wheat, we NEVER were the family with glasses of milk at the table, and we ate pretty healthy... i had a few issues in my childhood, but i really didnt start expressing gut issues till my late teens, and 20s.

This is a little unfair. I was born via c-section, bottle fed because I was adopted, had all my vaccines, grew up eating wheat, and was a world champion milk drinker. I've never had any health problems outside of my Celiac diagnosis no ear infections; no strep throat; no bronchitis, pneumonia, or flu; absolutely no GI problems until I became symptomatic (9 months prior to diagnosis). That's why it took so long to diagnosis the Celiac in the first place: besides my (comparably) mild symptoms, I was pretty healthy.

I don't like the way some foods in this country are delivered to consumers but to blame any and all health problems on them is a little extreme. There's a lot of misinformation out there about food, vaccines, c-section v. vaginal birth, Autism, breastfeeding, and, of course, Celiac Disease.

And as for putting off having kids because of Celiac, I wouldn't be put off by it. There are a million reasons not to have a baby chief among them: not being able to afford it Celiac should be way down at the bottom of the list. Personally, I'd adopt before I'd have a child via pregnancy because I'm all too aware of how many kids out there desperately need homes but don't let Celiac Disease be the only reason to put you off having children.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#9 Rachel W

Rachel W

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

There are MUCH worse things a person can have than Celiac...Besides, its not 100% that your baby would even have IT ! No one else in my family has celiac, they are ALLLL bread eaters and have perfectly good guts ! If you think about it..and look back even 5 years, look how much gluten free has changed- heck even Betty Crocker has gluten free products and hamburger helper so , we are making progress and IF your child were to have Celiac, think how much more well educated the world would be on Celiac by then..AND being a Celiac you would know what to watch out 4 :)
Sure I have thought about my child missing out when other kids in his class have cupcakes and pizza..but, its no reason NOT to have to a baby if you wants kids B)

#10 Alison R

Alison R

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

I would wait a while to make the decision about kids if I were you. Right now, it sounds like you feel your Celiac diagnosis is a heavy burden to bear. Those feelings will probably fade over the next year or so......as you get used to your new food choices.

If I thought that I had a high probability of passing on a condition that would make my child unable to live a full and rewarding life, I would agree with your statement and take actions to not have children. Celiac is not that type of a diagnosis though.

I'm cooking more this year since we went gluten free and it has cost us a lot of grocery money changing the kitchen over this month, but I already cooked a lot and I'm seeing health benefits for both me and my fiance.
I don't expect everything to ever be medically "perfect" but we live a very full and rewarding life especially since I am getting better.....and we do plan to have children if I can carry full term.

If you have kids, I would definitely get them in the kitchen with you early to teach them how to cook healthy gluten-free meals for themselves but other than that I don't think raising an additional Celiac in the home would be that different than any other child. The dietary changes have already been made, and every child has things they deal with that make them different than other kids......good and bad.
tested for Parkinson's 1998 (at 19 yrs old)
dx benign familial tremor disorder 1998 - went caffeine-free
dx soy allergy 1999 - went soy-free
miscarriages in 2009 and 2010
fibroids found 2010 (dr advised a hysterectomy)
neurological symptoms increased, bloating and other digestive issues, memory loss, and energy loss since 2009.
Found info on celiac Dec 27, 2010 and went gluten free Jan 4, 2010.....and I already see a massive difference! Kitchen cleaned out completely on January 11, 2011.
Spending a small fortune on groceries, but I hope to be a HEALTHY, gluten-free, soy-free, caffeine-free bride later this year!

#11 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

There is nothing wrong with your genes. You are reacting to a poison in your body. Everyone with an autoimmune disorder in your family should look at gluten as a possible root cause. The two are very strongly linked.

So once you get yourself healthy again you could have kids if that is what you want, just make sure gluten never touches their lips and that they eat healthy and they will never know these illnesses. :)

That being said one of the reasons I chose not to have kids is because of my bad teeth enamel, hypothyroid, and depression. All of which have improved/disappeared cutting this poison out of my system. I have 7 billion other reasons not to have a child but this is no longer one of them. :P
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#12 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

This is a little unfair. I was born via c-section, bottle fed because I was adopted, had all my vaccines, grew up eating wheat, and was a world champion milk drinker. I've never had any health problems outside of my Celiac diagnosis no ear infections; no strep throat; no bronchitis, pneumonia, or flu; absolutely no GI problems until I became symptomatic (9 months prior to diagnosis). That's why it took so long to diagnosis the Celiac in the first place: besides my (comparably) mild symptoms, I was pretty healthy.

I don't like the way some foods in this country are delivered to consumers but to blame any and all health problems on them is a little extreme. There's a lot of misinformation out there about food, vaccines, c-section v. vaginal birth, Autism, breastfeeding, and, of course, Celiac Disease.

And as for putting off having kids because of Celiac, I wouldn't be put off by it. There are a million reasons not to have a baby chief among them: not being able to afford it Celiac should be way down at the bottom of the list. Personally, I'd adopt before I'd have a child via pregnancy because I'm all too aware of how many kids out there desperately need homes but don't let Celiac Disease be the only reason to put you off having children.

i dont think it's unfair... maybe you and i have different genetics.. not all Celiacs have the exact same immune systems.. some Celiacs have no symptoms at all.. what is true for me- doesnt mean it's true for everyone.
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#13 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing any links you have to support that statement. Thanks.

i read a crapload of stuff everyday- and i never save it. i just started to google to find articles that i have read. i'll continue looking, but this is the first one i found

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#14 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

http://www.centersit...d=128391&cn=282

(about c-sections).

please understand- that my observations from reading new articles everyday are not an attack on anyone- sometimes a woman HAS TO have a C-section.. and vaccines are every parent's OWN PERSONAL decision.

also, i am not attacking how anyone's parents fed them as they grew up. while i wholeheartedly believe that most people have adverse effects from Wheat & Cow's milk, it doesnt mean i say EVERYONE does. some people are just fine.

we all have to be open minded to all the new studies being done everyday- because we all know (especially thru our own personal diagnosis stories) that doctors do not have all the answers yet.
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#15 Laennie

Laennie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

That was very interesting about the c-sections but I'm wondering if they did any kind of study to see if there was a link between the mother's having Celiac disease? I would think that especially an undiagnosed case of Celiac in the mother would increase the chances for complications etc that might require a c-section.

I had a c-section with my son because of a few reasons. I had extreme sciatic pain & could hardly walk through half of my pregnancy. Then 2 weeks before I had him I had a heart problem (SVT) where my heart was beating at 190bpm & they had to give me a medication that actually stopped my heart for a second before it returned to somewhat normal. After that we began monitoring my heart rate regularly & noticed that I kept having a fairly high heart rate at times (which explained why I had felt so weak, faint & tired at earlier points in my pregnancy). The heart issue combined with my measuring 2 weeks later made my doctor concerned about putting my heart through the stress of vaginal delivery. After an ultrasound (that was incorrect) he decided my son's head was probably too big to make for an easy delivery & I had a c-section that day (THANK GOD!).

At that point I had never even heard of Celiac disease before. Looking back now I believe that I had symptoms since junior high at least but it wasn't until after I had my son that I started having the severe GI problems.

I'm also a negative blood test, positive diet case so I don't have an official celiac diagnosis but my primary doctor & my family believe that I am celiac. So I'm not really sure if possibly being Celiac played into any of those problems for me or not but I'm honestly surprised that there was no mention of the possibility of the mother's having Celiac.

Anyway, I did breastfeed my son for 6 months & he had frozen breastmilk for about 3 months after that. He has been low weight & we have questioned the possibility of him having Celiac but haven't actually gone through any testing yet because there is no good indication that he really is.

As for the original question posted. Even worrying that my son might possible have Celiac doesn't deter me from the idea of having more kids. I'm currently on my 3rd cycle going through fertility treatment and TTC again. If you really want children, this should have no real impact on you having children (unless like me you have fertility issues & having trouble actually getting pregnant).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: