4 replies to this topic

#1 anewlife

anewlife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have been gluten free for almost a month now and have had many improvements in my health. One puzzling thing is that I have started having periods again after an abrupt menopause last May. Can going gluten and dairy free change your hormones and start your menstrual periods again?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

I have been gluten free for almost a month now and have had many improvements in my health. One puzzling thing is that I have started having periods again after an abrupt menopause last May. Can going gluten and dairy free change your hormones and start your menstrual periods again?

It's common for this to happen with menopause anyway so it's doubtful that your gluten-free/DF status had anything to do with it. Menopause is defined as going 1 full year without a cycle....until that happens, you are not finished yet......or as I felt when I was finished....done with youth! ;)

#3 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Gluten Intolerance has been linked to infertility issues. I don't see why it wouldn't have an effect on when menopause starts.

It's taken me 7 months but I no longer have menstrual cramps. :) Check out this video by Dr. Vikki on the subject.

Gluten Sensitivity and Infertility

What an interesting development. Please do keep us posted on any updates. :D This is a very new field and the more stories we have the better we can understand gluten and it's effects on our bodies.

In the meanwhile going back to pads again gets the thumbsdown! :lol:
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

Gluten Intolerance has been linked to infertility issues. I don't see why it wouldn't have an effect on when menopause starts.

Celiac Disease can affect the age at which you start menopause. It has been linked to early onset menopause, which is what happened to me. I think the original poster was asking if the gluten-free diet can affect menopause once it has started.

The stopping and starting of your cycle is one of the symptoms of menopause, if you are at the right age for it. Very few women just stop their cycles without a few starts again.....this is due to the fluctuations in hormones. Hard to tell unless you are under 45. Anything under that and it might not be true menopause.

#5 katie-sbb

katie-sbb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am 52 and am probably well into menopause. Perimanopause began in my very late 30's. I've been gluten-free for around 2 years now, and it has taken away the terrible migraines. At first they just accompanied my periods, then they became more frequent, Then I went gluten-free and they stopped. Now, all of a sudden I'm starting to get periods and migraines again!! Has anyone else had this experience??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: