This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help! Acceptable Drinks To Order At The Bar?

Jess-Ay

Jess-Ay Rookie

So.. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few months ago, so I am relatively new to all the restrictions. Last night I went out with my friends as is our tradition on Thursday nights. I've been struggling trying to figure out what is safe to order at the bars. Usually I play it safe and order hard cider that I know is gluten free, but it is expensive. They have deals for well drinks all the time, and last night I tried cranberry vodka. This morning I had quite a bad reaction (Big D, if you know what I mean.. actually HUGE D), and the cranberry vodka is really the only questionable thing from last night/yesterday.

When you go out to the bar, what are some safe drinks to order? It's difficult because the bars we go to are always packed with college kids and not exactly the best environment to have a lengthy conversation with one of two bartenders about the gluten business. I tried to keep it simple, but is it possible that whatever cranberry "juice" they used contained gluten?

Also, what's the deal with the alcohol? I thought that everything distilled was gluten free. Is that not true? Some girl I met here with Celiac disease said that the more expensive vodkas usually contain gluten. Just wondering for future reference.

Thanks for the help :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

smiley1131994 Newbie

im 17 but im italian so alcohol has always been the talk in my family for when i turn 21 lol ik that dark colored alcohol is deff off limits but any drink that clear or light in color are okay here are some ik are deff okay and gluten free

Champagne (Gossett, Jacquat, Hamm, Korbel, Moet & Chandon)

Grenadine

Margarita (the traditional blend of tequila, triple sec, salt, and lime)

Martini (the traditional blend of gin and vermouth) or Vodka Martini

Rum (white rum)

Tequila

Vodka

Wine

hope this helps a lil

Skylark Collaborator

Some celiacs react to distilled grain alcohols. It's not common because the gluten is below detectable levels but it happens. That's more likely your problem than the cranberry juice. The other possibility is you got a touch of stomach virus or food poisoning. (I'd put that as more likely than a strong reaction to distilled alcohol, really.)

Whiskey, bourbon, rye, gin, and vodka are either made from grains or often have grain alcohol blended in. Most schnapps and liquers will also have a grain alcohol base. If you're that sensitive, you need to learn which brands are not blended with grain alcohol or distilled from grain. Some options are potato vodka, pure agave tequila, and most rum. Unfortunately, you can't often specify a brand if you're after cheap drinks.

If you try again and find you really are sensitive to grain alcohol and it wasn't just an unlucky virus, your best bets are hard cider, wines, and sake.

Jess-Ay Rookie

Some celiacs react to distilled grain alcohols. It's not common because the gluten is below detectable levels but it happens. That's more likely your problem than the cranberry juice. The other possibility is you got a touch of stomach virus or food poisoning. (I'd put that as more likely than a strong reaction to distilled alcohol, really.)

Whiskey, bourbon, rye, gin, and vodka are either made from grains or often have grain alcohol blended in. Most schnapps and liquers will also have a grain alcohol base. If you're that sensitive, you need to learn which brands are not blended with grain alcohol or distilled from grain. Some options are potato vodka, pure agave tequila, and most rum. Unfortunately, you can't often specify a brand if you're after cheap drinks.

If you try again and find you really are sensitive to grain alcohol and it wasn't just an unlucky virus, your best bets are hard cider, wines, and sake.

Yeah I have definitely had this same reaction after a night of drinking, but I could never pinpoint the exact source. I feel like I'm not that sensitive, because there are a lot of sources of cross contamination (sharing a kitchen with a bunch of other non-celiacs, including toaster, etc.)

It's definitely possible though, because I do have random stomach problems even when I feel like I've been completely gluten free. It's frustrating not being able to figure out where it's coming from. Thank you for your suggestions! I'll definitely have to try them out. And yeah, it sucks being a poor college student. haha.

I've also heard that some people are just sensitive to alcohol in general? Maybe this is the problem. :\

GF BRO Newbie

Clear soda is often the way to go (as opposed to coke or juice), but unfortunately unless you know the specific brand of chaser, its tough to be sure. You'll have to test out whether or not any distilled spirits are for you or whether you have to drink alcohol distilled from non-wheat sources.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yeah I have definitely had this same reaction after a night of drinking, but I could never pinpoint the exact source. I feel like I'm not that sensitive, because there are a lot of sources of cross contamination (sharing a kitchen with a bunch of other non-celiacs, including toaster, etc.)

It's definitely possible though, because I do have random stomach problems even when I feel like I've been completely gluten free. It's frustrating not being able to figure out where it's coming from. Thank you for your suggestions! I'll definitely have to try them out. And yeah, it sucks being a poor college student. haha.

I've also heard that some people are just sensitive to alcohol in general? Maybe this is the problem. :\

You really need to stop sharing that toaster and take as much care as you can with cross contamination. You can pick up one that is for only your use for about $10. The CC is likely the cause of your random stomach issues.

I am one of the rare celiacs that reacts to distilled gluten. If I go out I go with wine or I ask for a bottle of some kind of soda. I don't drink mixed drinks that use speed bars but will occasionally have a clear rum with a Pepsi at home. It is also possible that with your continued exposure to Cc that your system just doesn't tolerate alcohol at all.

Archived