Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help! Acceptable Drinks To Order At The Bar?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jess_Ay

Jess_Ay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

So.. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few months ago, so I am relatively new to all the restrictions. Last night I went out with my friends as is our tradition on Thursday nights. I've been struggling trying to figure out what is safe to order at the bars. Usually I play it safe and order hard cider that I know is gluten free, but it is expensive. They have deals for well drinks all the time, and last night I tried cranberry vodka. This morning I had quite a bad reaction (Big D, if you know what I mean.. actually HUGE D), and the cranberry vodka is really the only questionable thing from last night/yesterday.

When you go out to the bar, what are some safe drinks to order? It's difficult because the bars we go to are always packed with college kids and not exactly the best environment to have a lengthy conversation with one of two bartenders about the gluten business. I tried to keep it simple, but is it possible that whatever cranberry "juice" they used contained gluten?

Also, what's the deal with the alcohol? I thought that everything distilled was gluten free. Is that not true? Some girl I met here with Celiac disease said that the more expensive vodkas usually contain gluten. Just wondering for future reference.

Thanks for the help :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 smiley1131994

smiley1131994

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

im 17 but im italian so alcohol has always been the talk in my family for when i turn 21 lol ik that dark colored alcohol is deff off limits but any drink that clear or light in color are okay here are some ik are deff okay and gluten free

Champagne (Gossett, Jacquat, Hamm, Korbel, Moet & Chandon)
Grenadine
Margarita (the traditional blend of tequila, triple sec, salt, and lime)
Martini (the traditional blend of gin and vermouth) or Vodka Martini
Rum (white rum)
Tequila
Vodka
Wine

hope this helps a lil

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Some celiacs react to distilled grain alcohols. It's not common because the gluten is below detectable levels but it happens. That's more likely your problem than the cranberry juice. The other possibility is you got a touch of stomach virus or food poisoning. (I'd put that as more likely than a strong reaction to distilled alcohol, really.)

Whiskey, bourbon, rye, gin, and vodka are either made from grains or often have grain alcohol blended in. Most schnapps and liquers will also have a grain alcohol base. If you're that sensitive, you need to learn which brands are not blended with grain alcohol or distilled from grain. Some options are potato vodka, pure agave tequila, and most rum. Unfortunately, you can't often specify a brand if you're after cheap drinks.

If you try again and find you really are sensitive to grain alcohol and it wasn't just an unlucky virus, your best bets are hard cider, wines, and sake.

#4 Jess_Ay

Jess_Ay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Some celiacs react to distilled grain alcohols. It's not common because the gluten is below detectable levels but it happens. That's more likely your problem than the cranberry juice. The other possibility is you got a touch of stomach virus or food poisoning. (I'd put that as more likely than a strong reaction to distilled alcohol, really.)

Whiskey, bourbon, rye, gin, and vodka are either made from grains or often have grain alcohol blended in. Most schnapps and liquers will also have a grain alcohol base. If you're that sensitive, you need to learn which brands are not blended with grain alcohol or distilled from grain. Some options are potato vodka, pure agave tequila, and most rum. Unfortunately, you can't often specify a brand if you're after cheap drinks.

If you try again and find you really are sensitive to grain alcohol and it wasn't just an unlucky virus, your best bets are hard cider, wines, and sake.

Yeah I have definitely had this same reaction after a night of drinking, but I could never pinpoint the exact source. I feel like I'm not that sensitive, because there are a lot of sources of cross contamination (sharing a kitchen with a bunch of other non-celiacs, including toaster, etc.)

It's definitely possible though, because I do have random stomach problems even when I feel like I've been completely gluten free. It's frustrating not being able to figure out where it's coming from. Thank you for your suggestions! I'll definitely have to try them out. And yeah, it sucks being a poor college student. haha.

I've also heard that some people are just sensitive to alcohol in general? Maybe this is the problem. :\

#5 GF BRO

GF BRO

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Clear soda is often the way to go (as opposed to coke or juice), but unfortunately unless you know the specific brand of chaser, its tough to be sure. You'll have to test out whether or not any distilled spirits are for you or whether you have to drink alcohol distilled from non-wheat sources.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

Yeah I have definitely had this same reaction after a night of drinking, but I could never pinpoint the exact source. I feel like I'm not that sensitive, because there are a lot of sources of cross contamination (sharing a kitchen with a bunch of other non-celiacs, including toaster, etc.)

It's definitely possible though, because I do have random stomach problems even when I feel like I've been completely gluten free. It's frustrating not being able to figure out where it's coming from. Thank you for your suggestions! I'll definitely have to try them out. And yeah, it sucks being a poor college student. haha.

I've also heard that some people are just sensitive to alcohol in general? Maybe this is the problem. :\

You really need to stop sharing that toaster and take as much care as you can with cross contamination. You can pick up one that is for only your use for about $10. The CC is likely the cause of your random stomach issues.
I am one of the rare celiacs that reacts to distilled gluten. If I go out I go with wine or I ask for a bottle of some kind of soda. I don't drink mixed drinks that use speed bars but will occasionally have a clear rum with a Pepsi at home. It is also possible that with your continued exposure to Cc that your system just doesn't tolerate alcohol at all.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: