This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New.. From California And New England :)

Jess-Ay

Jess-Ay Rookie

Hello there! I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in August. Actually, I received the call from the GI guy about my biopsy results when I was in a crowded airport on my way back to college (in new england). That was a joyful day, obviously :)

I found that the doctors I dealt with back home were pretty awful, actually. I'm a 4th year nursing student and am well aware of the importance of educating patients.. especially those newly diagnosed with a disease. However, all I was told was.. "yeah, you need to avoid gluten now." I didn't know much about this disease or what exactly gluten was. Therefore, I had to do a lot of research on my own. I'm still learning everyday what I specifically need to avoid, and how to cook (which is new for me). I recently got my latest lab results back and apparently I'm still not completely gluten free, which is frustrating to discover after all the effort I've been making.

It's been difficult transitioning, especially being so far from home. I have a really supportive family way out in California who always let me pick the restaurants when we go out to eat and cook gluten free meals when I'm home. My friends are great at school too. I'm finding that the hardest part for me so far is not being able to eat the available junk food and pizza on the weekends.. you know, late night munchies. I always get very excited to meet other people who make a life out of avoiding gluten, but they are few and far between.

I'd love to make more friends, so that I can learn more from everyone who has more experience than me. I still feel a little bit in the dark about everything, so I could use some help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! You will find a ton of "kindred souls" here, because they have been throught the exact same things you are experiencing. Do a google search of "gluten free name of city" and it will give you some options for the munchies and find some great replacement products. Good luck to you! I am in OC in California, so if you are close when you are home, you can join us celiacs for a gluten free night out!

Janie

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'm from the S.F. Bay Area, and I totally understand your need for pizza and fun foods to enjoy with friends. Gluten-free pizza, however, is fairly easy to come by here in California now. Is not available at restaurants where you live now? Do you have any BJ's Restaurants there? It's a chain that offers a gluten-free menu and a fantastic gluten-free pizza. If not, please check it out when you come home to California--they even serve gluten-free beer (Redbridge)!

We also have a very active gluten-free Meetup group in Bay Area. If you're ever in the area, check us out....

• 4 weeks later...
cokids Newbie

Welcome to the board! You will find a ton of "kindred souls" here, because they have been throught the exact same things you are experiencing. Do a google search of "gluten free name of city" and it will give you some options for the munchies and find some great replacement products. Good luck to you! I am in OC in California, so if you are close when you are home, you can join us celiacs for a gluten free night out!

Janie

Hello!!

I am in Maine, so am on the other end of the nation and am a kindred spirit even though it is my husband NOT I who has been diagnosed with Celias. I plan to go gluten free WITH him! Just in learning mode right now, but I surely can sympathize with your concern about pizza nights!

Beth

Emma-Lee Rookie

Welcome. I live in an itsy bitsy town called Sebastopol California. I am recently diagnosed and learning too. I suppose with any new condition there is a learning curve. Don't beat yourself up too much. There are a lot of useful websites and my husband has helped me with this too. If you are interested in some good ones hit me up and I can e-mail you some links.

I am looking for Celiac support and friends too! This site is a great place. So hang in there and it will get easier.

Emma-Lee

• 4 weeks later...
lillieflr Newbie

I am from the Bay Area in California, it is much easier to find fresh menus there than here in Nevada with all the chain restaraunts but it is what it is and I have noticed that some of them are putting gluten free meals on their menus now and Safeway has a gluten free section and there is always Trader Joes or Walmart. Also cooking from scratch. I was diagnosed Jan. 2010 after my biopsy, etc. It is hard because I am the only one in the house who has to eat this way and I miss so many things! BUT instead of ice cream you can eat frozen yogurt. It is yummy. If you are not completly gluten free you might want to look at your vitamins or pills if you take any, I just found that out. There are cheap cookbooks as well.

How hard was your transition from everyday food to gluten free? I did not realize I was eating so much of it trying to be healthy lol For years I ate and ate tons in wheat instead of white, etc. What school are you attending? How much longer do you have? I graduate next summer/fall. With you being a nurse at least you will know what it is like when others come in and know their pain. positive note.

Good LUCK!

Nicky

Hello there! I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in August. Actually, I received the call from the GI guy about my biopsy results when I was in a crowded airport on my way back to college (in new england). That was a joyful day, obviously :)

I found that the doctors I dealt with back home were pretty awful, actually. I'm a 4th year nursing student and am well aware of the importance of educating patients.. especially those newly diagnosed with a disease. However, all I was told was.. "yeah, you need to avoid gluten now." I didn't know much about this disease or what exactly gluten was. Therefore, I had to do a lot of research on my own. I'm still learning everyday what I specifically need to avoid, and how to cook (which is new for me). I recently got my latest lab results back and apparently I'm still not completely gluten free, which is frustrating to discover after all the effort I've been making.

It's been difficult transitioning, especially being so far from home. I have a really supportive family way out in California who always let me pick the restaurants when we go out to eat and cook gluten free meals when I'm home. My friends are great at school too. I'm finding that the hardest part for me so far is not being able to eat the available junk food and pizza on the weekends.. you know, late night munchies. I always get very excited to meet other people who make a life out of avoiding gluten, but they are few and far between.

I'd love to make more friends, so that I can learn more from everyone who has more experience than me. I still feel a little bit in the dark about everything, so I could use some help!

rosetapper23 Explorer

You CAN eat most ice creams! Ben and Jerry's and Rainbow will note all ingredients, so you only need to avoid flavors like "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough." Haagen Daaz is also gluten free as is Dreyers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
lilu Rookie

Hey there! So cal here... I was just thinking, why not whip yourself up some old fashioned chex mix? I checked the recipe online, and you'd need to do a couple substitutions, but nothing too drastic (no wheat chex, but more rice & corn chex... gluten-free pretzels or sub in some gluten-free crackers, etc), also, you want to make sure you buy a brand of worcestershire sauce and season salt that are gluten-free (I like Frontier Organics 'herby' but have to order it online) but overall I think you could make an excellent 'munchie' food in large quantities so you never have to be without.

Archived