9 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissie

Chrissie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Outback Steakhouse boasts a gluten-free menu. Last night after a steak and salad (just veggies) I shared their Thunder Down Under Desert described as a gluten-free brownie with ice cream, hotfudge, whipped cream. I was in the bathroom an hour later.
Just wondered if others had had this experience. I'm new to this, three months Gluten free and feeling soo much better! So this was a disappointment.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darissa

Darissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Outback Steakhouse boasts a gluten-free menu. Last night after a steak and salad (just veggies) I shared their Thunder Down Under Desert described as a gluten-free brownie with ice cream, hotfudge, whipped cream. I was in the bathroom an hour later.
Just wondered if others had had this experience. I'm new to this, three months Gluten free and feeling soo much better! So this was a disappointment.

I have eaten their thunder down under desert many many times! I really love it. I am very sensitive to CC, and it has never bothered me. I do have to share the desert, becuase if I eat too much of it, there is so much fat in the cake and icecream, that the fat contect bothers me, but I have never gotten sick from gluten from it. Good luck. Don't be afraid to try it again....

#3 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

I LOVE this dessert! I've eaten it a number of times and never got sick, but I have gotten sick from their vegetables. Be sure to always order them without seasoning. There's something in their seasoning butter that gets me every time if I'm not careful when I order. I got my husband's veggies once and had taken one bite before I realized we had them switched. Big mistake!
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#4 Chrissie

Chrissie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks and OMG I didn't even think to mention the vegetables that came with the steak! Like I said, I'm new to this and still learning what works and what doesn't.
Happy Healthy days to all.

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Yes--the seasoned butter they put on the veggies has gluten. They can leave it off and bring you plain butter on the side.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

The Thunder from Down Under is *the most amazing* dessert I've ever had! Having said that, though, I stay away from the ice cream they serve with it, as I'm lactose intolerant...I let my hubby and toddler fight over the ice cream :P Perhaps you have a bit of lactose intolerance?
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

the thunder from down under is what I got sick on at the outback..... way too chocolatety for my sensitive stomach.. My daughter ate a whole one herself & never got ill ... I'm not big on strong chocolate goodies... .For me a little goes a long way...other than that I love Outback.......but stick to the gluten-free menu

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

From what I have seem in other posts, Outbacks seem a bit inconsistent. Some people have great luck at some locations. Going at a very busy time is risky for any restaurant.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

We have had Outback a several different locations in California & in Oregon all with excellent food. Usually they are very good about anything ordered from the gluten-free menu. The food is a little rich so maybe your system is still too sensitive at only 3 months. Just a thought. I just had the dessert for the first time last week and I've been gluten-free for 10 months. I could only eat a couple of bites but it didn't make me sick & darn but it was good!

#10 4-in-hand

4-in-hand

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

Chrissie, I am so sorry you got glutened and got sick.

Yes, Chocolate Thunder from Down Under is on the Outback gluten-free menu, and indicates that NO modifications are needed. I have eaten it several times in the past. Tonight I learned from our server (and kitchen staff AND manager on duty) that the Corporate Headquarters of Outback have recently changed the recipe for - of all things - whipped cream. According to the manager tonight "the recipe for whipped cream now includes a wheat flour-based starch added to the cream" as a stabilizer. The manager indicated that the change has been in place a few months. Nothing on the gluten-free menu or website warns us in the gluten-free community of this change.

I have written a comment to Outback via their website "contact us" page, expressing my displeasure at this decision on their part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: