This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Kikkomen gluten-free

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

I wanted to let everyone know to be on the look-out for Kikkoman gluten-free soy sauce..... this was my favorite before gluten-free so I'm excited they finally have made a gluten-free soy sauce.....

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lawrence Apprentice

I wanted to let everyone know to be on the look-out for Kikkoman gluten-free soy sauce..... this was my favorite before gluten-free so I'm excited they finally have made a gluten-free soy sauce.....

I just heard about this soy sauce on another website and then several others. I also heard that their regular soy sauces are supposedly gluten-free and there is talk about that on this site. These two thoughts combined compel me to wonder; Why does Kikkoman need to make a soy sauce that is gluten free if they already claim their other soy sauces are naturally gluten-free due to the processes which break down the gluten much like fermentation? Sounds like another money making scheme to me. I've also noticed that according to others it seems that there is no safe standard of gluten, it varies by country/organization. I say if you are not affected then give it a shot. I will mention this to my doctor the next time I see him and then my regular md. It's not that I would go out of my way to by regular soy sauce but if a dish has it then it probably has Kikkoman and should be relatively safe.

sa1937 Community Regular

I would not feel comfortable using the regular Kikkoman soy sauce. It used to be my favorite, too, but I dumped it when I went gluten-free. I am looking forward to trying the new gluten-free version. Anyone know when it's going to be available...or is it already? I haven't yet seen it.

This from the Kikkoman website:

All-purpose Kikkoman Soy Sauce is naturally brewed from wheat, soybeans, water and salt. Like fine wine, Kikkoman Soy Sauce is aged for several months to develop its characteristic rich, yet mellow flavor, appetizing aroma and distinctive reddish-brown color. Besides using it in traditional Asian dishes, try it in mainstream American foods, classic Mediterranean dishes or exotic Caribbean cuisine.

Ingredients

WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE; LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% AS A PRESERVATIVE

Lawrence Apprentice

It is available and here is the product locator: Open Original Shared Link but the results are somewhat limited.

I would not feel comfortable using the regular Kikkoman soy sauce. It used to be my favorite, too, but I dumped it when I went gluten-free. I am looking forward to trying the new gluten-free version. Anyone know when it's going to be available...or is it already? I haven't yet seen it.

This from the Kikkoman website:

All-purpose Kikkoman Soy Sauce is naturally brewed from wheat, soybeans, water and salt. Like fine wine, Kikkoman Soy Sauce is aged for several months to develop its characteristic rich, yet mellow flavor, appetizing aroma and distinctive reddish-brown color. Besides using it in traditional Asian dishes, try it in mainstream American foods, classic Mediterranean dishes or exotic Caribbean cuisine.

Ingredients

WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE; LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% AS A PRESERVATIVE

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It's not that I would go out of my way to by regular soy sauce but if a dish has it then it probably has Kikkoman and should be relatively safe.

Never ever assume a soy sauce is gluten free. Most are made with wheat as well as soy. Regular Kikkoman soy sauce has wheat as the second ingredient even before the soy. I would not touch it.

sa1937 Community Regular

It is available and here is the product locator: Open Original Shared Link but the results are somewhat limited.

It's supposedly available at my local Food Lion. I was just there today and saw regular Kikkoman, but no gluten-free. Right now I have San-J Tamari sauce so will check Giant Foods next time I'm there.

Lawrence Apprentice

I would try Whole Foods, they usually carry lots of gluten-free products.

It's supposedly available at my local Food Lion. I was just there today and saw regular Kikkoman, but no gluten-free. Right now I have San-J Tamari sauce so will check Giant Foods next time I'm there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lawrence Apprentice

Right I always check the label and I'm fully aware that it is the second ingredient but they claim that through their process that it is filtered out/distilled out (neutralized). It is essentially the same with the distilled alcohols. Some people still get sick from distilled alcohol and some will probably get sick with this processed soy sauce. It depends upon the individual. This is the second biggest reason why I usually avoid this and other gluten-free sites; because people even get sick on gluten-free products. It's rather scary and depressing. I have no problem with gluten-free products but I hate reading about other peoples misery. Also I can read the labels with no problem and if I was really unsure I can always call the company. I think later on it might be worth a try for me anyhow. I was reading an interesting story and it offered some hope as to a treatment: Open Original Shared Link Even if this is not it I really believe that one day there will be either a treatment or cure as long as the gluten-free companies don't become too powerful and make it too much of a profit for themselves. Some gluten-free food is pretty good but it's also pretty expensive and having a choice would be nice.

Never ever assume a soy sauce is gluten free. Most are made with wheat as well as soy. Regular Kikkoman soy sauce has wheat as the second ingredient even before the soy. I would not touch it.

kareng Grand Master

Right I always check the label and I'm fully aware that it is the second ingredient but they claim that through their process that it is filtered out/distilled out (neutralized). It is essentially the same with the distilled alcohols. Some people still get sick from distilled alcohol and some will probably get sick with this processed soy sauce. It depends upon the individual. This is the second biggest reason why I usually avoid this and other gluten-free sites; because people even get sick on gluten-free products. It's rather scary and depressing. I have no problem with gluten-free products but I hate reading about other peoples misery. Also I can read the labels with no problem and if I was really unsure I can always call the company. I think later on it might be worth a try for me anyhow. I was reading an interesting story and it offered some hope as to a treatment: Open Original Shared Link Even if this is not it I really believe that one day there will be either a treatment or cure as long as the gluten-free companies don't become too powerful and make it too much of a profit for themselves. Some gluten-free food is pretty good but it's also pretty expensive and having a choice would be nice.

Are you saying that Kikkomen is saying it's gluten-free even with wheat? Is that on their website?

Lawrence Apprentice

Not exactly on their site but there is a letter: Open Original Shared Link and then see these sites: Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link see Shirlee Finn's comment

Open Original Shared Link please read this site it is important.

Are you saying that Kikkomen is saying it's gluten-free even with wheat? Is that on their website?

Lawrence Apprentice

As an additional reply I'm adding this. In the letter they say that there regular soy sauce is gluten-free because of the process but then they go ahead and make a 100% gluten-free soy sauce. If it is gluten-free because of the process and according to the Codex then there is no need for a gluten-free product. It is just there for people that need the 100% guarantee but it will be a long time before restaurants adapt, if ever. You know how hard it is to explain this in an American English speaking restaurant, try a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese restaurant. I could go on and on for hours here but my point is that there is no reason for Celiac people to rejoice as if there is a cure or to expect that if you go into an Asian restaurant that they will have this or know what you are talking about. I usually stick to one Chinese restaurant that has the Kari Out sauce but the owner only carries it because it is a "low sodium" choice not because of the gluten-free part. It is no different than all the other gluten-free soy sauce choices because many dishes are already prepared, especially in Korean restaurants which I frequent because my wife is Korean. Now all you need to check is to make sure they don't add flour if you can have regular soy sauce and other grains if you suspect that they are in the food but not being allowed to have the soy sauce is like eating cake without frosting.

kareng Grand Master

As an additional reply I'm adding this. In the letter they say that there regular soy sauce is gluten-free because of the process but then they go ahead and make a 100% gluten-free soy sauce. If it is gluten-free because of the process and according to the Codex then there is no need for a gluten-free product. It is just there for people that need the 100% guarantee but it will be a long time before restaurants adapt, if ever. You know how hard it is to explain this in an American English speaking restaurant, try a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese restaurant. I could go on and on for hours here but my point is that there is no reason for Celiac people to rejoice as if there is a cure or to expect that if you go into an Asian restaurant that they will have this or know what you are talking about. I usually stick to one Chinese restaurant that has the Kari Out sauce but the owner only carries it because it is a "low sodium" choice not because of the gluten-free part. It is no different than all the other gluten-free soy sauce choices because many dishes are already prepared, especially in Korean restaurants which I frequent because my wife is Korean. Now all you need to check is to make sure they don't add flour if you can have regular soy sauce and other grains if you suspect that they are in the food but not being allowed to have the soy sauce is like eating cake without frosting.

Kikkomen sent you a letter saying that the regular soy sauce is gluten-free?

Lawrence Apprentice

No, please see my post above the one that you replied to. I list about four sites that have the info but one site is two different pages.

Kikkomen sent you a letter saying that the regular soy sauce is gluten-free?

kareng Grand Master

No, please see my post above the one that you replied to. I list about four sites that have the info but one site is two different pages.

Sorry. I missed that. It looks like someone got a letter from Kiikomen. I'm still not chancing it but that's me.

sa1937 Community Regular

I would try Whole Foods, they usually carry lots of gluten-free products.

No Whole Foods around here (or Wegman's either)

Sorry. I missed that. It looks like someone got a letter from Kiikomen. I'm still not chancing it but that's me.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Lawrence Apprentice

Well, I'm not sure how accurate their tests were but I doubt that the letter is a forgery. I may contact them soon regarding that letter just to be sure. If it is fake or not very accurate then they should have a gluten-free option but as I said before it wouldn't change much. Now with all these gluten-free companies we should expect more competition and lower prices but that is not the case. :(

No Whole Foods around here (or Wegman's either)

I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

kenlove Rising Star

I'll send an email to my old friend who is a VP for Kikkoman in Tokyo and see if he can get a us an answer. Personally I think its very dangerous to us for celiacs. The distillation process is not 100% and the sauce is sometimes "finished" with more wheat extract. San-J is my favorite although recently I use more Braggs aminos which is better than soy sauce and has no salt just tastes that way.

kenlove Rising Star

Just heard back from the Kikkoman VP buddy in Japan who has never heard of any gluten-free soy sauce that they make but is going to ask the president of their overseas division when he seems him later today. He did say that what he knows about is not gluten-free.

kenlove Rising Star

just heard back that kikkoman is in the process of rolling out a new gluten-free soy sauce in the US market. could not get more details on how its produced ( dedicated factory etc.) or where it is available in the US -- just that its not everywhere yet.

Just heard back from the Kikkoman VP buddy in Japan who has never heard of any gluten-free soy sauce that they make but is going to ask the president of their overseas division when he seems him later today. He did say that what he knows about is not gluten-free.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for the inside scoop!

Archived