This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco Bell Ground Beef

jststric

jststric Contributor

Just read this and thought I'd pass the info on for anyone that likes to eat at Taco Bell. Personally, I haven't eaten there in a long time, but dairy is also an issue for me. But, apparently, there has been a class-action suit lodged against Taco Bell because their "seasoned ground beef" isn't enough real beef to qualify. Its mostly filler and the ingredients listed was intersting. Here's the link I read this from..... decide for yourself. Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Not enough real meat........no celiac should be partaking of this anyway--- Wheat is clearly labeled in the ingredient listing. Tacos at Taco Bell is not safe for celiac.

jststric Contributor

Not enough real meat........no celiac should be partaking of this anyway--- Wheat is clearly labeled in the ingredient listing. Tacos at Taco Bell is not safe for celiac.

Yes, and that's why I posted this. Just in case.

lynnelise Apprentice

I got taken by Taco Bell my first week on the diet. I learned the hard way to never assume that what the menu describes as beef is actually beef! I just feel bad for people who don't have to double check before ordering. They have no clue what type of fillers and additives they are eating. It's funny because of all those pet food commercials talking about how their product is made with real meat and no fillers. People are probably buying that for their dog and eating Taco Bell thinking it's just seasoned beef! lol

lovegrov Collaborator

We can't eat this anyway but it should have been clear to anybody who knows meat that this was not anything close to 100 percent beef. The texture and taste are completely wrong. HOWEVER, those fillings in the beef are in fact part of the taste of a Taco Bell taco and there are people who absolutely love that taste (I wasn't one). Take out the fillings and you change the taste.

richard

Jill0711 Rookie

One thing I will say being a newbie to the world of celiac is that it definitely has made me more aware of what is going into my body. The first time I went grocery shopping after my diagnosis was an eye-opening experience. It really made me think and make better food choices. Most people who don't have allergies or a disease like celiac never think twice about what is in things. I like the convenience of processed food, but it comes at a price.

larry mac Enthusiast

In no way am I suggesting that these are safe for Celiacs.

Having said that, I remember not too long ago that the ingredients only listed "oats", instead of "oats (wheat)". I suspect they changed that to alert us to the fact that oats may likely be contaminated with wheat, ie. there is no actual wheat added as an ingredient. It's a CYA thing.

If that is the case, the amount of wheat that could possibly be in one taco would be extremely minute. When I was diagnosed, my doctor told me oats were safe. He wasn't aware of the contamination issue back then. I ate oatmeal quite a bit in those days and never once got a reaction. I also ate quite a few Taco Bell tacos.

I'm not saying the lack of a reaction or symptoms also meant there was no damage being done to my villi, I'm just telling my story.

BTW, I think there's some misguided thinking going on here. Of course there's other ingredients besides beef. There has to be taco seasoning, which includes some kind of thickener. Only 3-4 years ago you could barely find a taco seasoning without wheat. Now, luckily for us, most food companies have switched to corn flour, rice flour, or modified food starch. Taco Bell happens to use oats as a thickener.

If anyones up in arms about Taco Bells taco meat, what about Jack in the Box's "mystery" taco meat? lol :o It actually does have wheat however.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

I meant to post this in hopes of helping those that are new, or somewhat new, to this road of figuring out what and how we are able to eat. It wasn't always an easy road for me to understand in the beginning....a little over 4 yrs ago. I had many "duh!" moments and "what the heck??????" moments. I think those of us that are used to cooking can figure out much of these things but MANY or MOST younger people AREN'T taught cooking as much, so they don't understand what should or shouldn't be in the ingredients of dishes that they may be ordering out. I learned SO MUCH from this site (and still do) when I started figuring out what my problems were and I just wanted to help warn anyone that may not know already to be aware.

Darn210 Enthusiast

HOWEVER, those fillings in the beef are in fact part of the taste of a Taco Bell taco and there are people who absolutely love that taste (I wasn't one).

:ph34r: I was :ph34r:

I did know that it's off limits though.

Interesting reading on that website as a whole not just the taco bell stuff.

larry mac Enthusiast

jststric,

Not only did you most likely provide some useful information to newbes, you did a great service to me personally starting this thread. Everyone needs to know that Taco Bells taco meat contains oats, that's a given. Whether they decide that's an acceptable risk to take is a personal choice.

But, in the course of making my reply, I looked up the ingredients of Jack in the Box's taco's, and discovered (to my dismay) they contain actual wheat. I tend to be somewhat flexible when it comes to "produced in a facility..." and "shared lines" etc., but I don't knowingly eat products that actually list wheat. I have on occassion eaten Jack in the Box tacos. Thanks to you I've had my last one.

Wait just a minute here. Why am I thanking you for x-ing out one of my favorite things? :angry: Just kidding. You may have saved me from stomach cancer! Keep up the good work.

best regards, lm

Archived