Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

First Menstrual Period gluten-free, Feeling Aweful!

• Please log in to reply

39 replies to this topic

#16 Holly1137

Holly1137

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

I've been gluten free since The beginning of January. Got my period twice in December, and should be getting another now- have all the symptoms (slight cramps, headache, and emotional/moody) and my breasts are REALLY sore. That normally happens, but it seems worse now. I'm 23 today, and took a preg test (neg), and still no period! Did this happen with anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

There is some relationship between menstrujal cycles and gluten, although usually in the opposite direction. Most posters report a normalization of menstrual cycles, less severe menstruation, and improved fertility on a gluten free diet.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 Cinnamongirl

Cinnamongirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

ditto the progesterone cream, which helped me immensely with PMS symptoms (just be sure not to over use it). I used to start pms'ing 2 weeks out and unless I take too much, then I'm good right up until day 1. If I do get cramps, they're minimal and bearable. Get a quality brand with minimal ingredients. I use Oasis Serene.

Thanks for the tip on progesterone cream. When I was young I never had PMS, but now it is terrible. I had my hormones tested (estrogen, progesterone) at day 19, and though both were in the normal range, the ratio was significantly off. I've been meaning to try progesterone cream, but with everything else in my life, I haven't gotten around to researching it. I'll skip comparing brands, etc and just give Oasis Serene a try.
Felt limited by anxiety since I was around 9.
Have known something was "wrong" for most of my adult life and learned to live with bloating/constipation and fatigue.
Went to many doctors for help without success.
Got confirmation from Enterolabs that I was gluten sensitive in Dec. 20009

#19 Stacy hated pancake Sunday

Stacy hated pancake Sunday

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

I have been gluten-free for a year now an my periods have become heavier and recently lengthened from 5 days to 6 days..with 3 days being especially bad instead of just 1(joy!)..I just assumed it was an aging thing(turning 39 next month. I have not been able to use tampons for years...instant migraine, pains in my arms and chest ...can't use the new 'plasticky' sanitary pads which cause the very bad and painful reaction like my reaction to latex. Thanks for the info everybody!

#20 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

Check into Magnesium and other deficiencies, I'm betting there is a link between the body bleeding out all these nutrients and making a new lining and headaches etc... Might be as simple as adding some almonds to your day. ;)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#21 possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:54 AM

Check into Magnesium and other deficiencies, I'm betting there is a link between the body bleeding out all these nutrients and making a new lining and headaches etc... Might be as simple as adding some almonds to your day. ;)

Interesting, up until a few weeks ago I was craving almonds almost constantly and eating easily a half cup a day. :)

The doctor said I was low in iron (though not anemic), so that could explain the incredicble fatigue I have during, and the week after my period. (still tired all the time, it is just worst during those times).

Aside from that all my tests were normal including negative for anti gliadin and tTG.

#22 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

See your body knows what it needs. ;)

Unfortunately the tests are not accurate or as sensitive as they need to be right now. Not even the gliadin test. The best and most accurate test is to try the diet for a month or three and see how you feel.

And do enjoy the almonds along the way. :)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#23 tinkity

tinkity

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

I am just shy of 2 months gluten free. I started my period yesterday and starting the night before I felt just yucky... all through the day yesterday too. I am not officially diagnosed... just iffy results and the recomendation that I try the diet (it seems to be working beautifully!). I was queasy and my digestion was all messed up. I got a bit anxious and thought maybe everything was coming back- until my period started! I'm back to normal now and glad for it. :)

#24 Lalama

Lalama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

The site below may be helpful. In addition to being gluten free, dairy free (and mostly refined sugar free) I try to adhere to this diet at least 5-7 before my period. I don't have endometriosis but extremely painful cramps if I don't eat right. It definitly seems to helps...

http://www.endo-resolved.com/diet.html

#25 Bella001

Bella001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

It seems to me that having your period intensifies glutening effects. Even after more than 3 years, if I have any gluten contamination my PMS like symptoms are terrible, but if I am nicely gluten free, I don't even know it's coming.

Same thing with me...my PMS is out of control if I got glutened the weeks leading up to it. My period is pretty bad if I get glutened as well. Much worse than normal.

#26 JBaby

JBaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have been mostly gluten-free for over a year, had a glutting recently. My symptoms did increase for the worse however, in December I started taking Barleans fish oil liquid. It tastes like a smoothie. Well, the last 2 periods I had, I barely had symptoms both pre and during. Some, but no where as distressing. And I don't take it everyday. Maybe it will help.

#27 Missjess

Missjess

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

So interesting to read all of these posts. I have been gluten free for six or seven weeks and I recently had my worst period ever! I am taking it as a positive sign. I have been struggling with infertility and colitis. I just tried gluten free because I still never felt quite right. U feel SO So much better avoiding gluten!,,

#28 annegirl

annegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sorry! I know feeling sick on top of everything else sucks.

I've experienced that exact opposite. Gluten free for only 3 weeks and I had no problems with mine other than a tiny bit of fatigue which is normal for me. This is exciting to me as my PMS had gotten really bad the last couple of years. No cramps etc. It was awesome! (still some chest soreness...but that doesn't bother me much and I figure you can't win em all)

I hope it gets better!
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Coffee, Caffeine, Pork Freeeeeee

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

#29 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

I am hoping that I skip those extra side effects this month and the next few.

I have been using the Diva Cup for a year and all I can say is it is life changing. It makes it so that I barely even know I have my period. 2 times a day I "deal" with the mess. And one of those times I am in the shower so it is easy. As it is made of silicone there aren't the problems of what might be in it. I liked it so much that after the 2nd month (it takes a little bit to get the hang of it) I threw out all my pads and tampons as I knew I'd never use them again. There is also no risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

#30 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Light or missing periods often goes with undiagnosed celiac disease, therefore it appears common for periods to get heavier (with worse symptoms) when women go gluten-free. I thought I was going through menopause when my celiac disease first got triggered because my periods suddenly got very light - but when I went gluten-free they got even heavier than before. All part of being a woman...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: