2 replies to this topic

#1 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

I have just discovered this cool message board thing and I was wondering if there were any Celiacs out there with similar medical problems as me.

I have:
a VSD (ventricular septal defect) and had open heart surgery at age 11
right elbow congenitally dislocated (5 operations to fix)
a benign tumor in my right tibia
hypothyroidism... or so we think. my thyroid blood levels are always okay, but I develop a goiter
continual sinusitis

Just checking to see if there are any others! :rolleyes:
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

I have Graves Disease(hyperthyroid) in addition to celiac.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 judy05

judy05

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

Ruddabega,

I too have thyroid problems. It started with a goiter which grew a lot, caused me to have tachycardia (very scary) and mucho anxiety. I had some nuclear tests which revealed a fast growing nodule. They decided to take the left thyroid out because the tissue was destroying itself( autoimmune). Thank God the nodule was benign!
That seemed to trigger the Celiac symptoms, although some I've had all my life. You name it, I've had it! It took many years and many doctors to find out the problem, but the Dr who first diagnosed Celiac Sprue has completely changed his mind because the gene test for Celiac was neg. He now insists that I am getting a "placebo effect" from staying gluten-free/DF diet. Go figure?? Tomorrow will be my last contact with him, I don't need him anymore!

I also have had years of sinus and allergy problems that seem to clear up after going D/F.

Hope some of this helps!

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: