This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut Diet

Salax

GottaSki Mentor

One month after eliminating all grains, dairy, legumes, nuts, nightshades, eggs, bananas and citrus - I feel very good. Have begun challenging removed foods - one at a time every three days. The score thus far is 2-2 = wins are eggs (never thought I'd do a happy dance for an egg) and pineapple (ribs marinating as I type) - losses are red bell pepper (within 30 minutes every joint in my body was in PAIN - even fingers and toes) and avocado (very severe bloating - losing avos was a bummer).

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Lisa,

When you did this elimination diet, did you follow a specific plan (ie, a book or website?) or did you just go based off of your reactions to foods? I've been looking into leaky gut and an elimination diet, but am a little lost on where to turn exactly.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Pam.Jung Newbie

Hi, my name is Pam and I've seen a couple holistic nutritionists and have been diagnosed with leaky gut and years of untreated candida. I have chronic fatigue, ibs, joint pain, brain fog, memory loss, muscle spasms, you name it. I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, soy, corn and most nuts. By default I am on the paleo diet. I've been reading a lot about the GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome) and it looks promising if you're willing to be diligent in changing your habits for a year. For more info: www.gaps.me

I also believe in addition to diet changes, stress needs to minimized. Yoga is a great start to a healthy mind and body :)

GottaSki Mentor

I just saw Sweetfudge's post when Pam.Jung bumped this thread back.

My elimination diet was a combination of many as the information I found on these diets was conflicting in many cases. Generally it was a combination of elimination diets for autoimmune disease, possible allergens and lectin intolerance.

Generally I eliminated all possible food allergen/intolerance = Grains, Dairy, Nuts, Seeds, Legumes, Nightshades, Banana, Strawberry and Citrus (the fruits were removed only because I had minor issues with them over the past years).

I started with three days detox - green smoothies only. Then added only meat, vegies and fruit with the exception of nightshade vegies and the fruits mentioned above.

After three weeks I trialed each removed food separately, logged reactions, then removed the food again so that trialing of each food was done on an equal playing field. One exception -- I kept eggs to add a protein source to my diet and there was confusion among the info I found about whether they needed to be challenged at all.

It took six months with the exception of three weeks off where I did not trial foods and added in the few items I had gained so far (not many).

The results were fantastic -- the reactions to each whole food were very clear and varied greatly (even within each food group) -- it is no wonder docs could not figure out all my symptoms as many foods were causing many different reactions.

Sorry for the late response!

Archived