#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hi All-

Bumping this back to the top as I have just started full elimination diet. I was dx'd Celiac in March 2009 - was very slow to get better, but did finally improve a great deal - felt healthy for the first time in years!

Unfortunately good health only lasted about 8 months - my digestive symptoms stayed at bay for a long time with mainly fibromyalgia symptoms worsening. Over the past six months I have become very sick again - muscle/joint pain, foggy is an understatement - my brain has been mush - severe memory problems and more. During the past few months my digestive symptoms have gotten nearly as bad as they were when I was dx'd Celiac and that was pretty darn bad.

Research finally brought me to Lectin Intolerance & Leaky Gut Syndrome (which I had heard before, but I thought it was just other names for Celiac).

In the past I've tried removing nightshades and dairy, but not all the problem lectin groups at once.

I just finished two days of green smoothie detox. Today was day three - I woke up still sluggish, but a couple hours later I felt wired (like I'd had several cups of coffee). Was able to stay vertical the majority of the day and my brain is still fairly clear at 10PM!!! As of today I'm eating meat/vegies/fruit only. In a week or a month (depending on improvement) I'll start challenging each group: eggs, nightshades, nuts, dairy and grains (really hope I get rice, corn and quinoa back).

Guess I'm curious to hear from others that:
1) isolated their Lectin Intolerance with elimination diet - which groups of foods you lost or re-gained?
2) had significant healing - how long did it take?

Thanks!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

I am a major lectin intolerant. I am glad that I tolerate dairy lectins, because I do not tolerate corn, soy, legumes. nightshades, citrus and of course gluten. I don't believe I will ever regain soy or corn, but I have recently been eating occasional slices of Udi's bread (potato starch) without any problems, so I am going to continue testing potato. After quitting gluten I acquired lectin intolerance to nightshades, legumes and citrus. and also had problems with quinoa and amaranth during my leaky gut syndrome period. I must say I was a little slow in making the lectin connection but I fit the pattern so perfectly. The nightshades came first so they were the first ones for reintroduction testing, but I am doing it REAL slow :P - don't want to slip back again and still not confident about leaky gut 100%.

I am almost four years post gluten, but only made a determined leaky gut cure effort a year ago when I continued to come up with more lectin intolerances. Up till then I was still using digestive enzymes quite consistently. I consulted with a nutritionist (Krispin Sullivan - I am sure you have read her Lectin Report) last summer and followed her supplement recommendations and believe it has helped. All the other commercial breads are so awful and I had so wanted to try Udi's and have been limiting it to every 3-4 days. Next I will try it more frequently. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I asked my GI Dr about leaky gut after seeing it mentioned here. She had never heard of it!

I read the article that was posted and it seems like so many things would be eliminated..I'm wondering what we COULD eat?

I wish there was a treatment center we could just go to where they'd give us our meals and and suppliments and we'd focus on doing nothing but healing! :blink:

#19 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

I found that it was the things I was eating too frequently that became a problem for me. A rotational diet where you don't keep eating the same things over and over seems to work best with a leaky gut.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Mushroom-

Thank you so much for sharing - it is very encouraging to hear that you have been able to add a few things back carefully after a year.

Today - Day 4 - I feel like I'm coming out of a year long sleepwalk! I rode my bike and cleaned my kitchen - can't tell you how bad our house got over the past several months. Trying not to get too excited, but I am VERY hopeful for the first time in a very long time.

Yes, I've read Krispin's report - I'll include the link along with another that I found helpful for others reading this entry:

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
http://www.cutthecar...mmune-diseases/

Bubba's Mom-

I'm eating meat, fruit and vegies now and will for about a month depending on improvement before I challenge each lectin group: nightshades, nuts, dairy and grains. It has been easy for the past several days, especially because I'm already seeing improvement - I'm sure I'll have a panic attack soon without rice and quinoa! As long as I improve it will be worth it as for the past several months I've had no life (about an hour in the morning functional) and had major symptoms for the past year.

Doctors can be extremely frustrating (no words to say how frustrating) with our symptoms. I've had mild versions of my Celiac and Fibromyalgia symptoms since my early 20s - took 23 years of going to docs for the same symptoms before they found Celiac - by that time I had only about 5-6 functional hours per day with severe digestive problems along with a whole host of other problems...the only thing that was "normal" about me was my bloodwork for every flipping thyroid and autoimmune disease - except celiac of course. It does seem that western medicine is starting to come around to some links between food and autoimmune disease - yet it has a very, very long way to go and such a shame that so many of us have been suffering for so long with no where to turn for help.

At least there is this forum!

:)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#21 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

I think we had the holy grail of bad ingredients for supper last night? It was chile with kidney beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, over pasta which was corn/rice based. Hubby put cheese on his. :o

I noticed I burped it up, which I haven't been doing with other foods lately.

I'm going to do some experimenting.

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

I think we had the holy grail of bad ingredients for supper last night? It was chile with kidney beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, over pasta which was corn/rice based. Hubby put cheese on his. :o

I noticed I burped it up, which I haven't been doing with other foods lately.

I'm going to do some experimenting.

I used to love Chili - until I went gluten-free and it caused stomach upset - guess my gut was trying to tell me something about other lectins - my brain just took a bit longer to figure it out!

This diet is extreme, but I woke up this morning (day 5) ready to get out bed and start doing things for the first time in over a year!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

. It does seem that western medicine is starting to come around to some links between food and autoimmune disease - yet it has a very, very long way to go and such a shame that so many of us have been suffering for so long with no where to turn for help.

At least there is this forum!

:)

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that. I still get this chilly look like "You must be whacko" if I have the temerity to mention lectin intolerance to someone with M.D. after their name (with only one exception so far and she is my cardiologist).

I think we had the holy grail of bad ingredients for supper last night? It was chile with kidney beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, over pasta which was corn/rice based.

Sounds like the meal from h*ll - all those spices, legumes and nightshades :unsure:

I used to love Chili - until I went gluten-free and it caused stomach upset - guess my gut was trying to tell me something about other lectins - my brain just took a bit longer to figure it out!

This diet is extreme, but I woke up this morning (day 5) ready to get out bed and start doing things for the first time in over a year!

Way to go, GottaSki. Either legumes or nightshades gotcha ;). I used to love chili over a baked potato!!!
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that. I still get this chilly look like "You must be whacko" if I have the temerity to mention lectin intolerance to someone with M.D. after their name (with only one exception so far and she is my cardiologist).

You are absolutely right - I've had the there is nothing physically wrong with you, so it must be mental look from doctors so many times over the years I don't think I count them. I think my thought this morning was more along the lines of docs starting (and I mean only starting) to understand that celiac isn't just a childhood illness anymore ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#25 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

I think my thought this morning was more along the lines of docs starting (and I mean only starting) to understand that celiac isn't just a childhood illness anymore ;)

Well, you're right of course -- we can't expect strides, only baby steps. And they don't have as much invested in the issue as we do
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#26 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

One month after eliminating all grains, dairy, legumes, nuts, nightshades, eggs, bananas and citrus - I feel very good. Have begun challenging removed foods - one at a time every three days. The score thus far is 2-2 = wins are eggs (never thought I'd do a happy dance for an egg) and pineapple (ribs marinating as I type) - losses are red bell pepper (within 30 minutes every joint in my body was in PAIN - even fingers and toes) and avocado (very severe bloating - losing avos was a bummer).

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#27 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Lisa,

When you did this elimination diet, did you follow a specific plan (ie, a book or website?) or did you just go based off of your reactions to foods? I've been looking into leaky gut and an elimination diet, but am a little lost on where to turn exactly.

Thanks!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#28 Pam.Jung

Pam.Jung

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Hi, my name is Pam and I've seen a couple holistic nutritionists and have been diagnosed with leaky gut and years of untreated candida. I have chronic fatigue, ibs, joint pain, brain fog, memory loss, muscle spasms, you name it. I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, soy, corn and most nuts. By default I am on the paleo diet. I've been reading a lot about the GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome) and it looks promising if you're willing to be diligent in changing your habits for a year. For more info: www.gaps.me

I also believe in addition to diet changes, stress needs to minimized. Yoga is a great start to a healthy mind and body :)

#29 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

I just saw Sweetfudge's post when Pam.Jung bumped this thread back.

My elimination diet was a combination of many as the information I found on these diets was conflicting in many cases. Generally it was a combination of elimination diets for autoimmune disease, possible allergens and lectin intolerance.

Generally I eliminated all possible food allergen/intolerance = Grains, Dairy, Nuts, Seeds, Legumes, Nightshades, Banana, Strawberry and Citrus (the fruits were removed only because I had minor issues with them over the past years).

I started with three days detox - green smoothies only. Then added only meat, vegies and fruit with the exception of nightshade vegies and the fruits mentioned above.

After three weeks I trialed each removed food separately, logged reactions, then removed the food again so that trialing of each food was done on an equal playing field. One exception -- I kept eggs to add a protein source to my diet and there was confusion among the info I found about whether they needed to be challenged at all.

It took six months with the exception of three weeks off where I did not trial foods and added in the few items I had gained so far (not many).

The results were fantastic -- the reactions to each whole food were very clear and varied greatly (even within each food group) -- it is no wonder docs could not figure out all my symptoms as many foods were causing many different reactions.

Sorry for the late response!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: