22 replies to this topic

#1 creesal

creesal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hey guys! I'm struggling with determining whether or not vodka is wheat free. I used to have bad reactions to all regular vodka until I started drinking potato and grape vodkas. Now I am under the impression that vodkas are gluten free but not wheat free, which in that lies my question. So, is vodka wheat free?

See, I tested negative for celiacs but tested high on the wheat allergy. So I stay away from the grain completely.

Thanks for any advice!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shopgirl

shopgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

Wheat is gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat. So if it's gluten-free, it's by default wheat-free.

Celiacs may not be "allergic" to wheat in the traditional sense but we still can't touch it either.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

Some celiacs like me who think that they are sensitive to low levels of gluten also think that they react to distilled alcohol from a gluten grain source. I do fine with potato vodka.

#4 Muffy

Muffy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

From what I understand the reason some alcohols that are grain based are gluten-free is because the offending gliadin protien (is that right?), which is one protien within the gluten protien (which is a dual protein), is broken down during the fermentation process. Similar to the way it is broken down in aged cheese. (eww dairy... I know ;)

Depending on where you fall on the sensitivity/intolerance continuum and what parts of the wheat or gliadin protien you are actually reacting to you may be senstive I ways others are not. I have been wondering latley about the volatile omega 5 particle and how it relates to airborne sensitivity or delineating between what might be celiacs vs. wheat allergy, or both. Or perhaps another offending compound within the protien. There is so much information out there and I have so much to learn. However, I am SUPER sensitive all of a sudden and it really sucks.:angry:

Just a few weeks back I had a shot of whisky. Bad call. I even spilled some on the skin around my mouth and got a NASTY little rash. I actually thought I had herpes or something. It itched, burned, was red with small blisters and it just went away. I have had other forms of DH but that was diferent and I felt other affects right away, even through the affects of the alcohol - and I am a total lightweight!

What is interesting though is that when I have airborn reactions (controversial I know - do a search on this site for more info ;) I get the same strong symptoms I had when I had that shot of whisky (in order of appearance): coughing, excess mucus, swollen throat, asthma, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion, irritability, anger, anxiety,depression, nihilism, apathy, fatigue, tremors/twitches, DH, muscle/nerve pain, migraines.....and more DH ;) This is what I have figured out so far anyway. Argh.

Good Luck!
...Muffy

Grain-free
Dairy-free
Soy-free
Canola Oil-free
Refined Fructose-lite

#5 Financialman

Financialman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

My understanding is the distilling process in making any distilled alcohol, vodka, bourbon, scotch, and a few others are safe to drink. The distilling process does not allow the gluten protein from the wheat, rye, or barley to survive the distilling process. You still need to be cautious. You may be experiencing an allergy to alcohol because of a potential liver issue. Talk to your doctor.
Financialman

#6 GlutenFreeKate

GlutenFreeKate

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

All gluten free products are wheat free, but not all wheat free products are gluten free. As vodka is gluten free, it is therefore wheat free.
Nothing tastes better than feeling good.

#7 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

They are really starting to take a hard look at distilled alchohol and whether or not it is true that the proteins are broken down. There are 70 some proteins in wheat that can cause an issue. It may be that gliadin is broken down but some people are reacting to Beta gliadin instead or some such.

Your body is the best indicator as Muffy has already figured out.

I think I'll be staying away from all grain based alchohols from now on. Homemade Hard Cider here I come! B)

:D
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#8 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

They are really starting to take a hard look at distilled alchohol and whether or not it is true that the proteins are broken down. There are 70 some proteins in wheat that can cause an issue. It may be that gliadin is broken down but some people are reacting to Beta gliadin instead or some such.

Your body is the best indicator as Muffy has already figured out.

I think I'll be staying away from all grain based alchohols from now on. Homemade Hard Cider here I come! B)

:D

I never ever ever liked beer (go figure) or hard liquor, so wine is my fav. However, I recently tried Glacier Potato Vodka from Idaho in a granita recipe. http://www.nytimes.c.../01minirex.html It was great not to worry about gluten contamination.

So look for a potato vodka.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#9 Gluten4punishment

Gluten4punishment

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

All gluten free products are wheat free, but not all wheat free products are gluten free. As vodka is gluten free, it is therefore wheat free.

is all vodka gluten free though? I usually buy smirnoff, last night, my husband bought me "mr. boston vodka" and I felt terrible after one drink. I didn't have anything to eat, so I assumed it was from that drink.

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

It seems some super sensitives can not tolerate the grain distilled vinegars and alcohols - you may be one of them. Try gin or Bacardi - that's what I do :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have a wheat allergy too! Welcome to the board. It's nice to see another wheat allergy here, even though i suspect many of the Celiacs to have a wheat allergy/Celiac combo, like Muffy. She described many of my wheat allergy reactions when she talked about the whisky.

It's all so confusing, isn't it?

What Muffy said, made a lot of sense to me and I can totally relate.

Me personally, I cannot drink any alcohol at all. Which is Ok, I don't like it. It makes me feel terrible.

Again, welcome to the board!

You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#12 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

It seems some super sensitives can not tolerate the grain distilled vinegars and alcohols - you may be one of them. Try gin or Bacardi - that's what I do :P

Gin is generally derived from rye. I believe there are some brands derived from other sources (ie Cold River in Maine which makes potato vodka and gin) but don't know how common that is.

I found this thread because I had some Sake this weekend and have not felt well since. It was a "premium" sake made from a high quality rice grain, but I didn't check to see if it was Junmai (meaning additive free). I have since found out that they sometimes add barley for flavor, so only Junmai Sake is safe.

Also, turns out barley is used to create the koji enzymes that are added to create Sake - so it's distilled two times over, but still a potential issues for highly sensitive folks?

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#13 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

Wodka is safe for nearly every celiac. I'm highly sensitive (even under the 20 ppm limit), and I have experienced reactions to grain-alcohol products.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#14 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Wodka is safe for nearly every celiac. I'm highly sensitive (even under the 20 ppm limit), and I have experienced reactions to grain-alcohol products.

Ellie, your statement is confusing. Vodka may be safe for many celiacs, but some highly sensitive celiacs (or highly allergic wheat-allergic people) state that they avoid grain-alcohol products. I do, just because I hate getting sick. Grain-based alcohol may not make me sick but I don't want to take a risk.

A good tasting, reasonably priced alternative to Chopin vodka is Luksusowa, which tastes great. Also Teton Glacier is good but more expensive.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#15 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

creesal, several vodkas are in fact wheat free, because they're not made from wheat. You have to check the website of the distiller to find out its origins. Some are made from grains, some are made from potatoes.

Here's a list of some of the more common vodkas, and what they're distilled from

http://www.martinimu...and_types.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: