This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colon Spasms

DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice

Well all of you have given me some courage, so thanks for encouraging me to write this.

I have put off going back to college, I have given up better jobs for one reason. MY COLON SPASMS! and trust me it's not a cute little rumble, its LOUD...but more importantly it comes from my COLON and its hugely embarrasing!! I honestly hate being in a quiet room.

Well, that is my problem...

Here is what I have done, and what I plan to do. PLEASE feel free to suggest ANYTHING that will help me out.

1) Currently I take hyoscamine for the colon spasms, and trust me they have helped ALOT. (But still in the morning if I eat BEFORE taking the pills its back to the Fourth of July in my colon!) Oh, and I still have to re check if hyoscamine is GLUTEN FREE.

2) I have FORCED myself to take some college courses for the fall. (I successfully took 2 night classes which I completed last week, which gave me some confidence.) But this fall I have two classes for the MORNING which is the worst part of the day for my spasms!! ARGGHHHH!!

3) I also have just re visited a doctor and got perscribed some Celexa (obviously Im stressed about things, and hopefully that will help out.

I'm thinking of looking into OTHER medications that might help my spasms...and I was also thinking that maybe I should introduce some FIBER into my diet...I feel that when my Colon spasms its makes lOUDER noises because its EMPTY! Also, I was thinking of using some of those simethicone pills like Gas X or Phazyme? So maybe someone has any suggestions or advice on this "game plan" of mine? It would be great to hear!!

As you can tell I feel really embarrased about posting this type of post....I just honestly feel that I have dealt with SOOOOO many OTHER medical problems in my life that I just lack the strength to deal with this one.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

If you are going to use Gax-X, make sure you DO NOT USE the chewables.... they contain gluten. I found this out the hard way!!!!

Karen

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
If you are going to use Gax-X, make sure you DO NOT USE the chewables.... they contain gluten. I found this out the hard way!!!!

Karen

Thanks!

I just wanted to add that my Dr told me I have IBS as well. (I left that off of my original post)

skbird Contributor

I used to take hyosciamine. It sort of helped me, but not greatly. I am now taking a generic version of Librax and it seems to help more than hyosciamine did. It contains a med that makes your gut relax as well as a sedative - doesn't quite put you to sleep but helps if you are anxious about how you are feeling. GasX used to be my mainstay - I always had the worst gas pressure (not always rumbling but definitely feeling bad because of it). Now when I have gas I know I've eaten a bad thing, just have to determine which one. I keep finding GasX pills (and generics) stashed away in all my old purses and wallets. It's a reminder to me of how far I've come.

Stephanie

Carriefaith Enthusiast

How long have you been gluten free? Also are you dairy free? (sorry if you have already said) I've learned that a lot of gas in the large intestine comes from food that cannot be digested in the small intestine. That's probably why gas is a common symtom of celiac disease becasue the intestine cannot absorb certain foods due to damage in the small intestine. Maybe your intestines hasn't healed yet and a lot of undigested food is passing through or maybe you have another food intolerance. Dairy, soy, eggs and corn are also quite common. IBS medication like Modulon may help too since they reduce spasms in the intestine. I have also been diagnosed with IBS and was on Modulon for a few months. I stopped taking it becasue it stopped working (one of the drawbacks of the medication apparently) However, I don't really need it anymore anyway. Modulon is gluten-free.

Here is a good website on the causes of gas that may help you: Open Original Shared Link

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
I used to take hyosciamine. It sort of helped me, but not greatly. I am now taking a generic version of Librax and it seems to help more than hyosciamine did. It contains a med that makes your gut relax as well as a sedative - doesn't quite put you to sleep but helps if you are anxious about how you are feeling. GasX used to be my mainstay - I always had the worst gas pressure (not always rumbling but definitely feeling bad because of it). Now when I have gas I know I've eaten a bad thing, just have to determine which one. I keep finding GasX pills (and generics) stashed away in all my old purses and wallets. It's a reminder to me of how far I've come.

Stephanie

Could you tell me the name of the generic Librax? I remember years ago taking Dicyclomine as well...

I really appreciate your advice!!

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
How long have you been gluten free? Also are you dairy free? (sorry if you have already said) I've learned that a lot of gas in the large intestine comes from food that cannot be digested in the small intestine. That's probably why gas is a common symtom of celiac disease becasue the intestine cannot absorb certain foods due to damage in the small intestine. Maybe your intestines hasn't healed yet and a lot of undigested food is passing through or maybe you have another food intolerance. Dairy, soy, eggs and corn are also quite common. IBS medication like Modulon may help too since they reduce spasms in the intestine. I have also been diagnosed with IBS and was on Modulon for a few months. I stopped taking it becasue it stopped working (one of the drawbacks of the medication apparently) However, I don't really need it anymore anyway. Modulon is gluten-free.

Here is a good website on the causes of gas that may help you: Open Original Shared Link

I had symptoms since about 1988, but went undiagnosed til 1993 or so. Way back then I got tested for Dairy intolerance and it was negative, I dont think I was ever tested for soy or corn...actually back then I did go to a allergist and they did that multiple test where they stick tons of needles in your forearm and test for a bunch of stuff. All I remember was it all came back negative.

Should I have all those tests again?? Or maybe I should just eliminate soy, and corn for awhile and see how I feel? Personally I always thought that I had to live with the LOUD Colon rumbles because I assumed Celiac/IBS destroyed my villi and that was the price I had to pay. I have been diligent at getting colonoscopys and barium enemas and that other test where you drink that magnetic drink and they take a picture of your entire digestive process. And all that has checked out perfect. But my priority now is to reduce/eliminate the gas inside my Colon. So now I should investigate Modulon and that other "spasm" medication that was mentioned in the last post on this thread...

I hope im making a little sense here...Its very late and Im very tired.

but again to alll of you....thanks for your help/advice and please dont hold back on anything..

Im all ears!!

Good night for now... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice

I also have IBS as well as gluten intolerance. My GI doc gave me a good recommendation, increase fiber. I take at least 2 Citrucel tabs or more daily. It helps both diarrhea and constipation. It has helped me immensely. The tabs are gluten-free. He said patients with IBS have more gas than the regular population. There are good books out by Heather Von Vorous who has a lot of helpful tips about IBS, she also has a web site. I always start my meals with soluble fiber, such as a banana. If you get a good start in the morning then your day will go well. If you have any questions please let me know.

If you learn to eat and live on her simple tips I think you will feel better in a few weeks. You don't have to suffer.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Should I have all those tests again?? Or maybe I should just eliminate soy, and corn for awhile and see how I feel?

I believe that the skin prick tests only test for allergies and not intolerances, so they wouldn't pick up intolerances to other foods. I actually had them done myself before I was diagnosed to find out what was wrong with me. The test said I had problems with wheat and yeast but not barley and rye, but obviously I do since I am celiac! That's why I think they just test for allergies. So I guess I also have a wheat allergy...

Many people also develop allergies or intolerances so it may be worth to do over again. Or maybe ask your doctor if other food intolerances may be causing your problems.

skbird Contributor

Generic for Librax is this:

5 mg chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and 2.5 mg clidinium bromide

Your doctor must write that on the rx paper. My doctor had written my script for Librax and I asked at a few pharmacies and they said there was no generic - Librax was recently reformulated. But they said if I asked him to re-write it like above, they would fill the generic version. My pharmacist then gave me the insert for the generic drug so I could confirm it is gluten-free.

Be careful because there is a sedative in it and that can be addictive (Librium). I don't take them everyday unless it's pretty bad - I haven't taken them for more than three days in a row yet.

Stephanie

Archived