Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Citric Acid Gluten Free?

7 posts in this topic

Is citric acid gluten free?

I heard that in the US always, but anyone know in Canada??

I just bought a can of artichoke hearts and there is citric acid in it.

thanks!

Ads by Google:

Citric acid comes from citrus. It's gluten-free.

Wow. Shows what I know. I always thought citric acid came from citrus fruit.

Edited by shopgirl

From the Canadian Celiac Association's Pocket Dictionary:

CITRIC ACID ... ALLOWED

An organic acid obtained through yeast or bacterial fermentation of glucose/dextrose derived from corn, beet sugar, molasses and rarely wheat. The manufacturing process renders citric acid gluten-free regardless of the source.

it really would be ****ing nice if we could have a food/medicine/gum product without a CORN BYPRODUCT <_<

There are some ingredients that are processed to the point that any protein content from the original source is below 5 parts per million. In turn, these ingredients form a small percentage of the total content in the finished product. As a content there, we are talking parts per billion. Rather than worry about this, I worry about being killed in a traffic accident. It is at least a thousand times more likely to harm me.

There are some ingredients that are processed to the point that any protein content from the original source is below 5 parts per million. In turn, these ingredients form a small percentage of the total content in the finished product. As a content there, we are talking parts per billion. Rather than worry about this, I worry about being killed in a traffic accident. It is at least a thousand times more likely to harm me.

good POV.

are you saying that it is the protein in corn that would make someone with a corn intolerance unwell?

thanks for the info on citric acid. I looked on the net but couldn't find any info on citric acid and gluten.

Food intolerances are most commonly to proteins. There are other things in corn that you can be intolerant to, such as fructose, but fructose is present in much more than just corn. Zein, the protein in corn, is found only in corn and other forms of maize.