4 replies to this topic

#1 moggio

moggio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

The last two times I've eaten chicken I've gotten an almost instant allergic reaction with increased heart rate,burning sensation in my mouth and so on. No more chicken for me that's for sure!

I've never had this reaction before and I don't know why I'm having it now.
According to the back of the chicken package they add salt but nothing else. I'm wondering if I'm allergic to the iodine in the salt or something. I've also heard that salt contains corn and maybe I'm allergic to corn.

I've been glutenfree for almost three months now and they say that it's common that previously masked allergies pop up after quitting gluten.

Any similar experiences?
I'm afraid that I'm turning allergic to everything!! It feels that way sometimes.
I hope these allergies will go away when my gut has heales.
Gluten&Dairy Free since 19th of November 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rissmeek

Rissmeek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

My husband started having issues with chicken a while back. We even went to all organic chicken and he would still have problems. We cut chicken out for almost a year and had some last night. He didn't have any issues last night. Not sure if that means the issue is going away or not.
Mel

#3 moggio

moggio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

My husband started having issues with chicken a while back. We even went to all organic chicken and he would still have problems. We cut chicken out for almost a year and had some last night. He didn't have any issues last night. Not sure if that means the issue is going away or not.

Ok so it might go away.
I read yesterday that iodine can re-activate remaining gluten antibodies that you have in your body so that might be the case for me.

I also have DH on my arms and got a flare after eating the chicken. It must be the iodine in the salt since the chicken was heavy salted.

#4 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

I also have DH on my arms and got a flare after eating the chicken. It must be the iodine in the salt since the chicken was heavy salted.

This one I might have an answer for! If you are getting DH after eating chicken, it's likely you are reacting to gluten cc on the skin. If you wash the skin, and take the skin off, you might be okay (still could be an issue, though).

Most chicken is defeathered in a defeathering machine these days. They wash the chicken, then put it in the defeathering machine, and then sterilize and butcher it after the machine. However, inside the machine is when the chicken's bowels typically release, so there is partially digested chicken feed rumbling around with the feathers and coating the entire skin of the chicken (gross, no?). If they were fed any gluten - which most chickens are, even organic - then their skins are coated with gluten.

Again, they are sterilized afterward, so the germs are taken care of, but there is still gluten left on the skin contaminating it. If you are getting more sensitive, this can be an issue (my daughter started having gluten reactions to chicken after being gluten-free for a while, too, and we found this out).

the hidden gluten, it never ends! :rolleyes:

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#5 moggio

moggio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

This one I might have an answer for! If you are getting DH after eating chicken, it's likely you are reacting to gluten cc on the skin. If you wash the skin, and take the skin off, you might be okay (still could be an issue, though).

Most chicken is defeathered in a defeathering machine these days. They wash the chicken, then put it in the defeathering machine, and then sterilize and butcher it after the machine. However, inside the machine is when the chicken's bowels typically release, so there is partially digested chicken feed rumbling around with the feathers and coating the entire skin of the chicken (gross, no?). If they were fed any gluten - which most chickens are, even organic - then their skins are coated with gluten.

Again, they are sterilized afterward, so the germs are taken care of, but there is still gluten left on the skin contaminating it. If you are getting more sensitive, this can be an issue (my daughter started having gluten reactions to chicken after being gluten-free for a while, too, and we found this out).

the hidden gluten, it never ends! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.
Yes that might be the case..I'm not sure if they're using the same methods here in Sweden but I guess they do.

I didn't get any symptoms when I ate some unsalted chicken two weeks ago so it might be the iodized salt or the process you mentioned.....or it might be BOTH!

I agree, the gluten is everywhere but I react within seconds to gluten so most of the times I'm able to spit it out before I have swallowed much of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: