Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Panera Bread...watch It!

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've gone to Panera several times and ordered from the gluten free menu. I started to get geographic and constipation again and pulled up their website. www.panerabread.com/menu You can look at the ingredients for each food...well guess what, I was eating wheat! Not only that but most of their food is full of corn syrup or other junk. Scratch panera off my list...

Ads by Google:

Hello,

I've gone to Panera several times and ordered from the gluten free menu. I started to get geographic and constipation again and pulled up their website. www.panerabread.com/menu You can look at the ingredients for each food...well guess what, I was eating wheat! Not only that but most of their food is full of corn syrup or other junk. Scratch panera off my list...

They are advertising a gluten free product that lists wheat as an ingredient???

I figured Panera was a big no no due to cross contamination anyway.

I got terribly sick there the first time I went. I ordered a salad off the gluten-free menu and it came with an apple as the side. I figured a whole apple would be safe. When it arrived, the apple was covered in crumbs. Okay, easy enough to avoid. I ate my salad and about 30 minutes later, I knew not to try eating there again. sad.gif

I suspect those crumbs get into everything they make and it's not worth the risk to try it again. I know some have had very good look there but it wasn't my experience.

Sure is wheat, here's the link I found with the gluten free list, http://gfrestaurants.com/panera-bread-gluten-free-menu/....I had the chicken ceasar salad and tomato soup. NOT gluten free...

Sure is wheat, here's the link I found with the gluten free list, http://gfrestaurants.com/panera-bread-gluten-free-menu/....I had the chicken ceasar salad and tomato soup. NOT gluten free...

According to the ingredient list, the wheat is in the croutons.

That being said, there's a lot of non-food-looking stuff also in that list. Don't think I'd choose to eat there both from the health standpoint, and the cc issue.

Can't believe I'm doing this again.

Attention celiacs and gluten intolerants:

PANERA IS A WHEAT BAKERY.

Do not eat there unless you want a very high probability to be cross contaminated by gluten.

I have had to smack down this rumor before that their foods, especially their soups, are supposedly gluten free, they are not.

A lot of restaurants are getting themselves listed in gluten free categories, online guides like yelp, when some of them have absolutely no business being there.

I traced that submission to that list to a commercial type foodie blogger, at glutenfreeislife dot com, that is pushing so many different products and businesses, she's likely getting paid for the recommends. This is okay, BUT, it should be disclosed and the information should be updated.

I see a list of restaurants that she has listed as "gluten free eateries." None of them are gluten free, they are chain restaurants, some have a gluten free menu. What a bunch of *****. Sometimes people need their heads examined.

I'm not that sensitive but I have gotten nailed pretty good at a few of them, and I see several that I know other people have had hit or miss experiences with. A few I've had good experiences with after checking carefully with the waitstaff and managers to see if they actually knew what gluten cross contamination meant- but remember, eating out is always risky at a chain. You must ask for the updated gluten free menu, order carefully, and never assume.

That review was from 2008, over 2 years ago. Things change, folks!

I've also eaten at wonderful restaurants and bakeries that were dedicated gluten free, and THOSE are true gluten free eateries- but even these dedicated places, with careful, careful people, can sometimes mess up a little, from a supplier.

If you're going to blog "gluten free," as a food reviewer do it responsibly.

I've had a smoothie there with no issues.

I've had salads there and been fine. I don't go use any outside site to get gluten free menu info. I only use the company's website and ingredient list! Don't trust a third party...recipes change.

I've gotten sick at Panera from just sitting in the restaurrant while my hubby had a sweet tea. I won't go in there again. I mean, they make bread there daily. There is flour dust in the air and on everything. Maybe it would be okay for someone that has a very mild gluten intolerance or someone that is doing the gluten-free diet to be trendy, but it's not okay if you are a diagnosed celiac or you are sensitive to cc. I would also never trust a "menu" from a site that is not the restaurant's site. Here is Panera's menu: http://www.panerabread.com/pdf/menu.pdf

They do not have anything labeled gluten free, nor could I find any information about gluten on their site. They DO have the following disclaimer on their menu:

"Many of our products contain or may come into contact with

common allergens, including wheat, peanuts, soy, tree nuts, milk,

eggs, fish and shellfish.Please ask to speak with a manager for a

list of ingredients in your order."

So maybe if you are not sensitive and you are willing to have an in depth discussion with the manager to ask about cc you could try to eat there...It's not worth the trouble and potential risk IMO.

I will only get the yogurt / fruit smoothies there. You can stand by the cold drink area (separate from the food prep) and watch them make it.

Not all Panera's make the bread fresh at that location. The one closest to me gets pre-made dough from another facility so there is no flour in the air and all over everything. I have eaten salads there safely. The manager was able to provide me a list of what items were gluten free. I have eaten there three times and have yet to get sick. I am not on this to be trendy and I do have severe and immediate issues from CC. I have gotten sick from gluten free menus at Chili's, PF Chang's, and Logan's. I say you are taking a chance no matter where you eat, it's up to you decide whether to risk it.

We have a Panera in my building and they have always been helpful in working with me. I don't go there too often though, because the selections of what I can eat are pretty limited (a few salads and soups mainly). I always check the ingredient list in Panera's website or the latest gluten free list they send out (which I usually find by googling). At least at my location, I don't think they bake bread in-house, or at least it's not near the salads and soups area. Of course there is still bread everywhere but sometimes it is worth it for the convenience factor. I can't remember ever having gotten glutened there. I just wish they would expand the selections! (And if anyone from Panera happens to be reading this, bring back the summer corn chowder!!)